Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How easy is it to push-start a Futura?

I had to do I once when my RR died. Found a small hill steep enough. Dont remember the gear I selected.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Was successful once with 2 or 3 pushers on a slight downhill, in 3rd gear.

Regulator was bad, so the bike later stopped running on my return home, due to low voltage.

Recommend confirming nominal on-bike charging before riding again.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    94.5k miles and all is well.

I carry a jumper pack in the top box the new ones are small now

Did it once after the OEM R/R died. Had a friend, and a small shallow hill, and used 3rd gear IIRC. Was like pushing an elephant.
    JD

'01 Futura

I used a big hill and freewheeled in third to 25mph - started no problem

Tried bump starting down a small incline and being pushed - got nowhere.
    04 Silver,FPR Mod,Derestrict Airbox,Mille Boot,Reg/Rec Mod.,05 Map,Heated Grips,Smoked Screen,Beftura Forks,Scottoiler,Stone Chips,Scratches...

The Art of Bodge-It Never Fails.

I've done it with my Falco but never yet needed to do so with the Futura. I don't imagine it would be any more difficult.
    However, it takes a lot of effort and isn't that easy so best to fix the underlying problem as soon as possible.

The trick to bump starting any large bore bike is to first push the bike backwards in gear till you bump up against compression. Then the engine is in a position to allow it to easily start turning before hitting a compression stroke.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum Member
    Following up on this: I decided to not bother with push-starting, and instead got some jumper cables.

Since there's so little room under the seat I took out the standard took kit and replaced it with the cables - I figure I'm more likely to need and use that than any of the tools.

(Although that may be a sure way to get the bike to start on the first attempt, have the battery live forever, and result in the first on-the-road failure being one where I need something in the tool kit.) If I ever do any long-distance riding with the luggage on I'll toss the tools in, if I don't misplace them in the meantime.)

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    What have you done to solve the original problem? Was it battery? Stator? Reg/Rec? What were your charging voltages?
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, you’re probably not Italian and you don’t deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesprocket26 View Post
    What have you done to solve the original problem? Was it battery? Stator? Reg/Rec? What were your charging voltages?
    Short answer: Nothing conclusive yet, but hopefully I'll soon have more info.

Long story: When I was last working on this issue I accidentally blew the fuse in the pigtail I use to charge the battery with my CTEK charger. (I was going to use that cable to connect to the Battery Tender voltmeter I got specifically for this task.) I was running out of daylight so I had the choice riding the bike or taking the time to root around in the basement for a replacement fuse (which would have been too high amperage anyway). So I decided to just ride the bike instead of doing the voltage check. Since then I've been busy, and with the early sunsets haven't had the time to mess with it.

I've never even tried push starting this pig. FWIW, only way it works is if ECU still sees minimum 8 volts. Spark too weak and injectors won't get enough inductive kick to open very well, and I don't know about Sagem, but most systems flat won't trigger anything at all under 8 volts. If you do try, listen real close near your left knee when you sputter to a stop and you'll hear that focker laughing at you.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

I took the Fut'r for a short ride to get the liquids circulated.. Oops.. No start! I had purchased a cheapie battery about 4 years ago and it finally gave up. To be fair, the Futura doesn't see too many miles lately...and I don't keep the tender on her all the time. I used one of the little Li jumper batteries. Started right up!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12