Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How easy is it to push-start a Futura?

apriliaforum Member

How easy is it to push-start a Futura?

After over-night charging the starter spins up fine and the bike starts with no problems.

While out on a ride (say, an hour or so) and a few starts later, I get slow cranking, but enough to get it going.

(I bought the bike a few months ago and haven't yet checked to see if the wiring-mods have been made, but I don't think so.)

If it's easy to push-start then I'll keep riding it a bit longer before I check things out, especially if riding with my buddy, who can give me a shove.

If it isn't easy to push-start I'll try to figure out the problem much sooner.

Also, I assume 2nd gear the best one to use, is that correct?

Thanks

Sitting on a park bench. Eyeing little girls with bad intent. Channeling Jethro Tull.
    The ECU needs juice. Will it push start at all?
    Replace the battery.
    Plus, get something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Power-D2...rds=bolt+power
    My Tuono suits me to a "T".
    Thunder!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
    The ECU needs juice. Will it push start at all?
    Replace the battery.
    Plus, get something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Power-D2...rds=bolt+power
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm hoping that the ECU will still operate at voltages / power that are lower than what's needed to crank the motor, so hopefully a low battery will be good enough, assuming the power to move the pistons comes from elsewhere.

My first attempt to fix things will be to check the R/R wiring, I probably replace both the wiring and the R/R, assuming that hasn't already been done.

I also want to check the electrical connections at the starter. If all that checks out OK I'll replace the battery.

The main problem is that I need to do some major rearranging in my garage in order to have room to work on the moto, and I'd rather spend my free time riding than cleaning out the garage...

You need a steep hill. Push start on your own without incline may work if you are an olympic sprinter champion.
    Last edited by deefred; 10-31-2017 at 05:00 AM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    YPush start on your own without incline may work if you is an olympic sprinter champion.
    Which I am not. I was wondering if having a buddy to push it would be enough, but it sounds like that's iffy.

I guess I need to be careful, and figure out why I'm having this slow cranking issue...

You need a steep hill. Push start on your own without incline may work if you is an olympic sprinter champion.
    Is it actually possible??
    I tried to bump start mine on a hill once when the battery died and had two attempts. First one in second gear but all that did is lock the back wheel up and stop the bike and the second attempt was in third and I got nothing - not even close?
    I then begged for a jump from a passing car.
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    I then begged for a jump from a passing car.
    I'm thinking this might be the easiest way to go.

Yesterday after gassing up at the end of my ride it just barely turned over when I was ready to go. At least at a gas station one's likely to not have to wait too long for a jump. Until I get this fixed I think I'll have to plan my stops more carefully and do so where I'm likely to find help.

Quote Originally Posted by spin10k View Post
    Which I am not. I was wondering if having a buddy to push it would be enough, but it sounds like that's iffy.

I guess I need to be careful, and figure out why I'm having this slow cranking issue...
    The Rotax twin does need a fair bit of current to spin it over and some do sound very slow.
    A decent battery is a must - the Yuasa YTZ14S is highly recommended.
    An upgrade on the starter solenoid will also help.
    Also, I have doubled the ampage of the cable running from the battery to the starter solenoid and then from the starter solenoid down to the starter.
    All of the earth cables were doubled too.

My bike starts up immediately now - every time.
    Andy

Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,

Quote Originally Posted by spin10k View Post
    I'm thinking this might be the easiest way to go.

Yesterday after gassing up at the end of my ride it just barely turned over when I was ready to go. At least at a gas station one's likely to not have to wait too long for a jump. Until I get this fixed I think I'll have to plan my stops more carefully and do so where I'm likely to find help.
    Whilst your bike is running, have you checked the voltage at the battery?
    Andy

apriliaforum Member
    Whilst your bike is running, have you checked the voltage at the battery?
    I did a while back (before I bought it) and I seem to remember it was 14.1 V, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. (Might have been 13.1 V)

I need to check it again. I know 13.1 is pretty low and 14.1 is close to being OK.

13.1 is about standard for a Futura that has not had the charging mod done whilst 14.1 is fine
    What is the state of charge in the battery before you try to start the bike? - most people now fit a voltmeter just to keep a check on the state of the battery.
    Andy

apriliaforum Member
    What is the state of charge in the battery before you try to start the bike? - most people now fit a voltmeter just to keep a check on the state of the battery.
    When I first start it it's presumably fine, because it's been on the trickle-charger overnight and the starter spins very well. For later starts during a ride I don't know, I haven't installed any additional instrumentation. (I know this doesn't mean too much, but after one week of sitting without charging if I plug in my CTEK red-yellow-green indicator (not the charger itself) I do get a flashing green LED, not yellow, which means that the voltage hasn't dropped too much.)

Could not push start mine even with the help of a couple of mates. Had to buy jumper leads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have to jump down on the seat at the same time as you release the clutch to get enough tyre friction.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

You have to jump down on the seat at the same time as you release the clutch to get enough tyre friction.
    Never an issue, I used to race Grass Track & Speedway back in the day and trying to start a 4B JAP and a 500cc Weslake on a wet field with a steel shoe was an art!!
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast