Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia Touring/Adventure bikes - The future?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Your right! My mistake

"Terryble"?!

Is that french?

Came across this and couldn't help but chime in. I currently own a dorsoduro 750 and have taken it in pretty rough gravel for short stints. I think a smaller displacement adventure bike based off the dorsoduro would be huge. Something light enough to be capable in the dirt, more capable then say a gs or 1290. The power would be fine if they used the 900 motor under 100hp, plenty for dirt and plenty for highway speeds. If they put dirt sized wheels, larger tank and slightly longer more plush suspension and shaved off roughly 80lbs somehow it would be great.

Not sure if you guys missed the ktm 790 or the tenere 700 releases at eicma but they were huge people loved the bikes. Albeit competing with ktm or yamaha in any offroad segment is no easy feat. I have been longing for a bike to fill this niche for some time as is all my riding buddies I've spoke with. I would sell my dorso and my ktm offroad motorcycle to buy one and have it do a little of both.

The capanord always intrigued me or the multi. but to me it is a far ways off what a 1290 is when it comes to the dirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Whenever someone talks about an ADV's awesomeness in dirt I immediately look at the tires. Knobbies, eh?

Perhaps more than any other type of motorcycle, an ADV is defined by the tires it's running. Street tires greatly reduce its offroad capabilities, knobbies dull the performance elsewhere. You have to pick the right rubber for your application. I don't think any single tire is available that would allow the fullest expression of an ADV's wide range of "capabilities".

Improving my Caponord 1200 Rally's dirt chops is just a tire change away! But not today, and probably not tomorrow either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Whenever someone talks about an ADV's awesomeness in dirt I immediately look at the tires. Knobbies, eh?

Perhaps more than any other type of motorcycle, an ADV is defined by the tires it's running. Street tires greatly reduce its offroad capabilities, knobbies dull the performance elsewhere. You have to pick the right rubber for your application. I don't think any single tire is available that would allow the fullest expression of an ADV's wide range of "capabilities".

Improving my Caponord 1200 Rally's dirt chops is just a tire change away! But not today, and probably not tomorrow either.
    The tkc80s are a great tire for both, seen guys get gnarly in the dirt with them except mud and I had a buddy on a 701 with them on and couldn't shake him on some twisties and we were both at a good clip.
    The other issue is 17s are a terrible wheel size for offroad, too small and too wide. But it's all a give and take like you said with highway vs dirt capabilities. I'd love a smaller adv bike like the yamaha or ktm above when they finally become production bikes. Plus I'm an hour away from the great Smokey mountains of NC so I could get lost out there with the right bike

Steely Dan

Hey, Nineteen!

After some miles and familiarization I am REALLY enjoying the Rally's front end feel and cornering on pavement. The 19 wheel just needs some additional countersteering input, but it's trustworthy with it. The bike also responds well to upper body movements, everything just works. Once again, an excellent handling package from Aprilia!

apriliaforum newb
    Name:  thumbnail_test3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  32.8 KB

Hi ! Not a capo but this is my own vision of what Aprilia should be closer to in respect of their adv bikes... not that many room for luggages etc but much more lighter than a capo and fitted with proper tkc types !

That's a beauty LWDC- is it for real, or an artist's conception?

I'd call it a super scrambler! Not a direct replacement for a sport tourer or adventure bike per se, but a new model for a different market niche. And they need that in a big way!

Quote Originally Posted by LWDC View Post
    Name:  thumbnail_test3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  32.8 KB

Hi ! Not a capo but this is my own vision of what Aprilia should be closer to in respect of their adv bikes... not that many room for luggages etc but much more lighter than a capo and fitted with proper tkc types !
    This is nothing more then a dorsoduro missing a couple panels and a different headlight and spiked wheels and tkc's. Not an adv bike but I think it could pass for a heavy scrambler

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks a lot ! Not a sport-tourer indeed, not enough ground clearance for a true adv (even if I saw one guy from a adv forum who installed wired wheels on his 750 dorsoduro - ground clearance improved thanks to the abs missing) but still a model Aprilia shall propose I think ! I have called it a lightweight enduro-scrambler :-) The capo is a very very competent bike - even if a little bit too sporty for me - and nothing will be comparable if you aim to travel fast with confortable - but again for me and more and more I like the simple touring thing where the journey is more important than where you are going

@ Ricardo J : Yes this is my own bike so it is true, a lot more pics on my blog (www.leweekenddecourse.blogspot.ch)
    @ Ametts21 : You missed to mention as well the exhaust (taken form a capo, hidden behng the rear wheel), the entire new back end fairing, the side panels, the relocation of the dashboard, adapted front mudguard, new rear led light etc...

Thanks a lot ! Not a sport-tourer indeed, not enough ground clearance for a true adv (even if I saw one guy from a adv forum who installed wired wheels on his 750 dorsoduro - ground clearance improved thanks to the abs missing) but still a model Aprilia shall propose I think ! I have called it a lightweight enduro-scrambler :-) The capo is a very very competent bike - even if a little bit too sporty for me - and nothing will be comparable if you aim to travel fast with confortable - but again for me and more and more I like the simple touring thing where the journey is more important than where you are going

@ Ricardo J : Yes this is my own bike so it is true, a lot more pics on my blog (www.leweekenddecourse.blogspot.ch)
    @ Ametts21 : You missed to mention as well the exhaust (taken form a capo, hidden behng the rear wheel), the entire new back end fairing, the side panels, the relocation of the dashboard, adapted front mudguard, new rear led light etc...
    I have actually looked at this bike before! Wasn't saying the bike wasn't impressive just that it is not a adv bike srill. I have always wanted to do a slimmer tail like you have done and a side exhuast. I might send a PM your way and pick your brain! That's the only thing I don't like about the dorsoduro is the large tail. Great job on the build I have looked at it many times.

LWDC, your moto is one of a kind and very well crafted, with a factory look. I dig that you did not gratuitously pursue some faux "vintage" styling, but kept a modern and clean design. The round headlight nacelle is more functional than retro, an inspired choice. I like the hybrid analog / digital instrument panel, too bad my Capo 1200 doesn't have that system!

apriliaforum newb
    Oh my god you are both making my day !!!!! Thanks a lot that gives strenght to carry on !!! Indeed the side exhaust was a must in order thin down the back end.

Oh my god you are both making my day !!!!! Thanks a lot that gives strenght to carry on !!! Indeed the side exhaust was a must in order thin down the back end.
    Could you private message me? I'd like to know more how you made the tail fairing cover the bottom of the subframe

I have been waiting for a Caponord 900 for years and years but I think I can wait forever. After I saw the V85 Guzzi at the EICMA I think there will be no more adventure bikes from Aprilia.
    Which is a real shame.

But after some thinking a caponord 900 doesn't make much sense in this package. It will probably weigh about the same as a 1200 and thats just too much. The engines and frames are not lightweight enough.

Absolutely love that offroad Dorsoduro by LWDC, except for that round headlight and that boat anchor of an exhaust. Needs a rally tower setup with a screen and a lightweight exhaust.
    Supermoto Central - 100% Supermoto

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast