Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia Touring/Adventure bikes - The future?

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar

Aprilia Touring/Adventure bikes - The future?

Now that the Caponord is no longer in production, Aprilia seem to have dropped out of this segment of the market. There is of course the Shiver 900, but what (if anything) are Aprilia doing in respect of plugging the hole left by effectively pulling out of this sector? Does anyone on here have any insider knowlege on what their (Aprilias) plans are? i.e. will we see a revamped Caponord or something similar in the future from them?

I was told by the dealer I got my bike from that Aprilia have an almost arrogant attitude to the marketing and sales side of their products, which can only be a shame. The fact there aren't that many Capos out there compared to other makes, BMW, KTM etc. seems to indicate that might be true because I feel, as a Capo owner, that if they could have got more potential buyers to test ride them and see for themselves just what a capable machine they are, Aprilia might have sold many more units and as a result might not have dropped the bike from their range. The new Tuonos seem to be selling like hot cakes, that has obviously got a lot to do with the fact they are great bikes but of course they are aimed at a different market.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 10-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    Now that the Caponord is no longer in production, Aprilia seem to have dropped out of this segment of the market. There is of course the Shiver 900, but what (if anything) are Aprilia doing in respect of plugging the hole left by effectively pulling out of this sector? Does anyone on here have any insider knowlege on what their (Aprilias) plans are? i.e. will we see a revamped Caponord or something similar in the future from them?

I was told by the dealer I got my bike from that Aprilia have an almost arrogant attitude to the marketing and sales side of their products, which can only be a shame. The fact there aren't that many Capos out there compared to other makes, BMW, KTM etc. seems to indicate that might be true because I feel, as a Capo owner, that if they could have got more potential buyers to test ride them and see for themselves just what a capable machine they are, Aprilia might have sold many more units and as a result might not have dropped the bike from their range. The new Tuonos seem to be selling like hot cakes, that has obviously got a lot to do with the fact they are great bikes but of course they are aimed at a different market.
    Who knows?

Piaggio also pulled the plug on the MG Stelvio so have nothing to offer at all in the booming adv market. I would say a Shiver 900 derived adv would be a possibility as they have most of what they need - ie Caponord hardware. But that's not a great place to go IMO. Most people end up paying a bit extra and going the full 1200 or 1290 route, by passing the KTM 1050/1090 or Ducati 950 options - however unfair that may seem. The 1200 Capo has just enough power and torque to satisfy me, I doubt a 900 would.

I don't care what people say about the suitability or otherwise of an Aprilia V4 engined adv or super GT ST variant, my money would be on the table! Such a bike could offer the smoothness of a BMW 1000XR and the excitement of a KTM1290GT, all wrapped up in Aprilia style. I can imagine a lot of people wanting that. Still it would require a lot of investment to get it right and I'm not sure Aprilia have the necessary - no new bikes slated for the Milan show this year. Still maybe rabbits and hats... you can only hope.

I have seriously considered modding a current 1100V4 Tuono, but it's an expensive bike to start with...

It seems that under the Piaggio regime Aprilia has assigned market sectors while Moto Guzzi gets other one. Somewhat sensible, but flawed if it's stunting the growth of those two companies. Do they really think that I want a Guzzi in lieu of a Caponord 1200 or 1100cc V4-powered Futuono? Or someone else wants a Tuono instead of a MGS-01 sportbike? C'mon now.

This weekend I have been riding a lot around Southern California and my giallo dune Capo Rally draws LOTS of admirers. It is far from invisible...folks with new Multistradas and R12GS paid many compliments to its design and execution. For most it was the first one they'd ever seen, and therein lies the problem.

Since the KTM 1290GT was just brought up, I saw one up close at the dealer last Saturday. A shocker aesthetically, with misshapen proportions, droopy nose, wide tank, hard cases that looked small and oddly shaped. Without a doubt one of the ugliest machines my eyes have ever seen.

Looks sure don't count for everything but they do for something. I'd have to be blind to own one, but that sort of makes riding difficult ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
    I don't care what people say about the suitability or otherwise of an Aprilia V4 engined adv or super GT ST variant, my money would be on the table! Such a bike could offer the smoothness of a BMW 1000XR and the excitement of a KTM1290GT, all wrapped up in Aprilia style. I can imagine a lot of people wanting that. .
    I'd be reaching for the cheque book too! I think a V4 engined tourer with the ADD equipment off the Capo would whet the appetites of many. I'm not sure an adventure/off road version would although what do I know. I do hope they come up with something as when it comes time for me to change bikes again, there's nothing out there currently (apart from a Tuono) that does it for me.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Since the KTM 1290GT was just brought up, I saw one up close at the dealer last Saturday. A shocker aesthetically, with misshapen proportions, droopy nose, wide tank, hard cases that looked small and oddly shaped. Without a doubt one of the ugliest machines my eyes have ever seen.

Looks sure don't count for everything but they do for something. I'd have to be blind to own one, but that sort of makes riding difficult ya know?
    Well KTM are the marmite of bike styling. I absolutely love the look of the 1290GT.

apriliaforum Member
    first of all, I know nothing about what goes on at Piaggio, but as a rally owner, I am curious about the future of this brand. From my observations, Aprilia (piaggio annual report) makes its money from the vast sales of the SR50 scooter. The flagship and focus though is the RSV4, which gives them research and tech dollars and drives the consumer sale of a trickle down Tuono. Both these bikes are huge right now adding to Aprilia's arrogance. The shiver and the dorsoduro sit mostly unchanged for years. Instead of bringing out a new bike, they did the least possible they could to keep those two market viable with Euro 4. Aprilia doesn't seem to drop new bikes out of the blue. The Caponord came about after they took the dorsoduro 750 design, turned that into the dorsoduro 1200, which evolved into the (european) 2013 light caponord, which later came into the 2014 Caponord we know today. That was a long process built on existing designs. since the RSV/TUONO line lacks the chassis/length to be an ADV tourer to evolve from, my money would be on a light duty ADV bike built from the Dorso 900. I would expect this bike to compete with the Multistrada 950, Versys 650 and the Triumph Tiger. It certainly won't be in the GS, KTM or Multistrada 1200 segment anymore.

On the caponord facebook group, there was european commentor that stated (from a german motorcycle mag) that Moto Guzzi has to redo their entire 1200 chassis design and that a modern and updated Stelvio will be coming to compete with the GS. That bike range has the shaft drive needed to be in the segment with GS, tiger explorer and Tenere. This would seem like a much more viable rumor than a 1100 V4 aprilia tourer. Supposedly this moto guzzi news comes out soon at EICMA.

Its fun to speculate, but I am loving my rally and don't plan on swapping out for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by xactoman View Post
    On the caponord facebook group, there was european commentor that stated (from a german motorcycle mag) that Moto Guzzi has to redo their entire 1200 chassis design and that a modern and updated Stelvio will be coming to compete with the GS.
    I had a 1200 4v Guzzi before I bought the Capo. My understanding was the 1200 Guzzi range which included the Stelvio, the Norge, the Griso and the Sport was dropped because their air cooled engine wasn't able to meet the Euro4 emissions regs. I can understand that because my Guzzi was very 'lumpy' at low speed and I ended up fitting a fuel compensator to make it more ridable in Urban areas. I know I'm going off at a tangent here but it was a nice bike, perhaps like RSTman said about the 1290 KTM, a Marmite machine; you either like Guzzis or you don't.

One other thing, why is the KTM called a 1290 when it has a 1301cc engine??

apriliaforum Member
    I think that's a KTM thing...numerical consistency. 690, 990, 1090, 1290, etc. 1301 is unlucky for weirdo people who are scared of numbers

I think the 1290 Super Adventure S, T or R are more in line with the Capo. For me the 1290 SA S is very similar in many ways to the Capo but slightly, for me, better. Not a better bike just I find it easier to ride, definitely more power, comfort is very much the same, suspension for me is better and no wallowing in fast corners that the Caponord suffered from. Electronics are better thought out with a proper cruise control on the left bar, modern instrumentation, but I think all will have this soon. And a big one for me; it uses no oil and the oil is the same colour now after 2000 miles as it was when it went in. Caponord exhaust sound is much nicer but then the KTM is Euro 4 so plenty restrictions in the exhaust and other parts. As for looks I actually prefer it to the Capo even though I agree it's not everyone's cup of tea. Had Piaggio not dropped the Caponord so quickly and not stopped making them before ironing out all the bugs I would have kept it, I really enjoyed the bike and as has been said already there are not many about, though I have only seen one other 1290 SA S on the road since I got mine in April.

I think that's a KTM thing...numerical consistency. 690, 990, 1090
    And the 1090 is actually a 1050cc with increased power, go figure that one out.

apriliaforum Member
    Aprilia, always a brand that didnít have to produce bikes with engine configurations associated with their history (think BM boxer, Ducati L twin) has the opportunity to start developing what will inevitably be the next solution to emissions regs: hybrid power.
    A sport touring (or sport adventure) class would be the best opportunity to do so.
    A 900 supplanted by electric power might even have quite a bit of zip.
    BMW will beat everyone to it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    BMW will beat everyone to it though.

My money is on Honda for the first main stream production road going hybrid motorcycle. Mugen rule the roost at the TT zero event on the Isle of Man right now. Car Hybrids are becoming more commonplace. Several bike manufacturers, including Piaggio, have had a dabble with the concept already, but I still think battery weight and the space required for the batteries is a major issue on motorcycles.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 10-31-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    This weekend I have been riding a lot around Southern California and my giallo dune Capo Rally draws LOTS of admirers. It is far from invisible...folks with new Multistradas and R12GS paid many compliments to its design and execution. For most it was the first one they'd ever seen, and therein lies the problem.
    When the Capo first hit the market, I was told by a dealer down south that they were targeting Strada and GS riders... Two of the most brand loyal customer bases. The dealer went on to tell me that I was somewhat of an anomaly because I owned a Strada and was interested in the Capo. To his credit, the strada was an amazing bike, when it was running correctly. I had enough of it's troubles and traded it for a tuono back in 2012.

Fast forward to Oct, 2017. I finally brought a Capo home! Took it out to break it in and run some errands and a GS guy went gaga over it... Especially when he found out I paid half of what he paid for his beamer! And chances are, we'll be doing the same roads in CO. Good times.

Sorry for the bad pic, hopefully have some better ones this weekend.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    My money is on Honda for the first main stream production road going hybrid motorcycle. Mugen rule the roost at the TT zero event on the Isle of Man right now. Car Hybrids are becoming more commonplace. Several bike manufacturers, including Piaggio, have had a dabble with the concept already, but I still think battery weight and the space required for the batteries is a major issue on motorcycles.
    Good points.

Currently our bikes carry 24l of petrol, so with hybrid thereís a chance to save on fully fuelled weight and keep the battery lower to improve handling.

Honda would be the co that could do this really well, just look at the new NSX auto.

BM has experience with its cars too.

Itís coming sooner than we think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast