Thread: Sr 125 rear shock hard and tall?

apriliaforum newb

Sr 125 rear shock hard and tall?

Very hard. And high seat height. When I sit on it, it barely compress. I can compress it by bouncing up and down, so it is not stuck. Not sure if I have stock, but is it supposed to be like this?

Want affordable one and preferably lowers the seat height as much as possible.

1. Any suggestions?
    2. What length is stock rear shock?

Regards

apriliaforum expert
    You don't just lower the rear shock without adjusting the front forks or you could end up with a death wobble.

How much do you weigh and what pre-load setting do you have the rear shock set at?
    Aprilia Scooters usually have around a 460 lb max capacity so a short 125 lb rider will likely find them too stiff and high with the pre-load set at any setting higher that 1/4 when they are riding solo.

Some may find it less expensive to re-contour the plastic seat pan to lower the riding height since that eliminates taking the forks apart or modifying the single tree to lower the front of the bike to balance it after lowering the rear shock.
    You really do not want to experience the wobbly wheeled shopping cart effect at any speed on a motor bike.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks rocky!

Weigh: 165 lb.
    Pre-load: I looked at it and it didn't look adjustable, but I only looked quickly. Maybe I don't know what to look for?
    Geometry/wobble: Ok I understand. I want to learn how this works: I thought wobble came from steeper front fork angle ie. raising rear, not lowering it - am I wrong?
    Plastic seat pan: Are we talking about trimming the stuffing in the saddle?

If I decide to get another rear chock, how can I find one that fits, is it same as all piaggio engine scooters? (manual say aprilia sr50, sr125 and sr150 all have same 72mm travel - https://www.manualslib.com/download/...-125-1999.html )

Regards

apriliaforum expert
    We never got the SR 125 Motard in the US however its the stepped collar at the bottom of the rear shock/damper. For your weight it would probably need to be at the lightest to second lightest setting.

You trim the stuffing or if need be take the covering and upholstery off and modify the front portion of the seat with a heat gun to lower it.