Thread: Dripping fuel from behind sidepanel.

apriliaforum prov-nov

Dripping fuel from behind sidepanel.

Body parts off today to try and find the source of my fuel leak. Everything seemed sound, the fuel pump was tight on the tank, the pressure hose, although not having a clip, showed no sign of leaking when I turned on the ignition. I fitted a clip before reassembly to be on the safe side.
    The only thing I could find was that the small overflow pipe that should connect to the rubber collar on the filler neck was disconnected and had dropped several inches down onto the tank. I see this is connected to the tank vent and then down the rear mudguard to atmosphere. I wonder if fuel had come out of this pipe when I filled up?
    Al.

You are right Al. On European spec bikes there is a tube that drains the drip tray round the filler. It connects to the tank breather pipe and is routed down behind the number plate bracket to atmosphere. I have seen this pipe become detached or even missing completely on other bikes and scooters so if there was any overflow when you filled up, it is possible this is what you saw as a fuel leak. The test will be to see if it is repeated when you know the drain pipe is connected correctly. To reduce any splash back when filling the Mana tank aim the fuel filler nozzle forward rather than straight down.

On the scooter I saw this problem on, the leaking fuel would have dripped onto the rear tyre which would have made for interesting handling!

On US spec bikes I think the two pipes are routed forward and vent through the charcoal canister attached to the front of the engine.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the fuel filling tip AndyT. I've only done 100 miles or so on my Mana so far and I'm really liking it. It's as new, only has 4000miles on the clock. The auto comes naturally for me, I've rode a Guzzi Convert for the last 27 years!
    Al.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Regarding getting access to the fuel pump, is there a simple method for removing the underseat infill panel? I see the side body panels cannot be removed first, so quite a bit of flexing seems to be required, and I worry about cracking them.
    Al.

You have to remove the tail light and number plate bracket, the grab handle, the luggage pins on either side and the fuel filler cap and drip tray. I think there are four screws to undo to release it and then it lifts off. You have to disconnect the helmet compartment release to get it free,
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cheers AndyT. I think I did it that way, bar removing the rear light assembly, I just loosened it and flexed it back out of the way. The underseat panel will have to come off again as I've just found 4 small rubber supports on the garage floor. Looking at the parts list it seems these locate in recesses in the tank and stop the lower edges of the side trims from flexing.. Odd that all four should be so loose as to drop out.

I think there is something about checking those rubber supports in the workshop manual so they are obviously known for falling out.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'll glue them into the sidepanel recesses when I next take the infill panel off I think. I've yet to top up the tank again, so don't yet know if I've cured the leak by refixing the drain pipe to the filler drip tray. I'll post an update later.
    Al.

I fitted a datatag kit to my Gt today and in the process discovered that my drip tray drain pipe was also disconnected, so I'm guessing this is an issue on older bikes. The rubber of the actual drip tray spout had split and allowed the plastic connector to fall out. I managed to bodge it back together with a bit of copper wire acting as a clamp, but it looks like I should really buy a new drip tray and hose as that was pretty hard as well.

I had the same issue as Al, with the 4 rubber spacers falling out. These locate in housings behind the side panels and then fit into recesses either side of the fuel tank. And a right pig they are to get back in. I ended up fitting the tank cover on one side and then holding the rear spacer in place as I eased the other side over the tank and then fiddled the front one into its housing after everything was in place.

Name:  IMG_1299.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  155.9 KB

Here's a pic of the bungs in place in the tank cover. It's upside down with the front on the right. The one with the orange arrow is the one I fitted after everything was in place.

Name:  IMG_1300.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  151.0 KB

Here's my bodged connector. I fed the pipe through the frame and out the back so it would reconnect with the pipe on the rear light bracket. The red and orange arrows show the connector for the helmet compartment lock. A pair of long nose pliers made reconnecting it to the latch relatively simple.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Brilliant pics and tips Andy. My drip tray spout had also split, and I bodged it similar to you. I wonder if some of these rubber parts are not ethanol proof. I know I've had to replace lots of rubber hoses etc that come into contact with fuel on my various Guzzis. The whole plastic tank had warped on the Griso I used to own, down to the ethanol according to the experts.
    Al.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just had the tank cover off again to refit it with the 4 rubber supports. Wow, what a pain for what should be a simple job. Flexing it over the tank I was worried about breaking the side panels off.
    If anyone here knows an easier way to fit this piece I'd be glad to know it!
    Al.