Thread: Would MotoGP/WSBK be better if manufacturers chose just one?

apriliaforum expert

Would MotoGP/WSBK be better if manufacturers chose just one?

Simple question.

My observation of the two series is that GP requires much more money to be competitive. And until manufacturers can commit to that level of support they are more or less grid-fillers. Suzuki & Aprilia to name two. KTM/Red Bull appears to have the money, and are building a program from scratch. Honda/Yamaha/Ducati of course are competitive and spend millions to be such.

World Superbike is a second-tier series where GP has-beens and never-will-be-GP riders compete on small budgets, shoestring budgets sometimes. (This sounds very harsh but it the reality put succinctly). A manufacturer willing to commit more resources can be competitive (Kawasaki & Ducati).

So here is the hypothetical. Would it be better to have manufacturers focus on one series exclusively? Would that lead to two healthier series rather than two seemingly competing for the same pool of racing budgets (of which except for Kawasaki, MotoGP usually wins out apparently).

Think about it.
    MotoGP: Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, KTM. Each have to supply a minimum of four bikes with some incentive to supply 5 or more. There is your 20 bike grid.

WSBK: Kawasaki, Suzuki, MV, Aprilia, BMW, (Ducati will no doubt participate) supply at least a pair of bikes for a factory team, and many would make competitive bikes available for private teams.

BTW, I still like World Superbikes better.

Dorna is making WSBK the poor stepchild

^^ agreed
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    IMHO, unless a manufacturer is going to commit fully, they shouldn't be in it because it makes them look bad. Look at Honda's WorldSBK program. Very little factory support and where are they? That certainly doesn't make me want to buy a CBR/Fireblade. Their MotoGP bike is a V4, not an inline-4 like their production bike. Now look at Ducati. Race winners & contenders in both series. Maybe that's me being more knowledgeable than the guy walking into the dealership with flip flops and a backwards cap, but cool paint jobs and replica racers only get you so far.

With Dorna's endless manipulation of SBK regulations what manufacturer in their right mind would commit? Maybe it's all part of a Grand Plan: "We had to fold World Superbike because nobody wanted to play anymore."

The FIM really abrogated their own authority by allowing this single entity to monopolize both championships. The payola must've been pretty compelling! Pass me the rubber stamp, Carmelo.

apriliaforum expert
    Currently, there are two manufacturers with factory efforts in WSBK - Kawasaki and Ducati. Their results show it. It's up to the manufacturers to decide how to spend their money. I do wish Carmelo would sell off WSBK as his meddling isn't helping WSBK, and is probably sending viewers to Motogp. It's a chicken and egg argument though. Money and sponsors are required to be competitive in WSBK. But if the series doesn't have lots of brands/riders fighting it out, then the viewers lose interest. Without viewers, sponsors won't spend money on a team. So, the factories have to make their own investment in the series, improve the racing, and then sign up sponsors so that the factories can reduce their spending.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by craigo298er View Post
    IMHO, unless a manufacturer is going to commit fully, they shouldn't be in it because it makes them look bad. Look at Honda's WorldSBK program. Very little factory support and where are they? That certainly doesn't make me want to buy a CBR/Fireblade. Their MotoGP bike is a V4, not an inline-4 like their production bike. Now look at Ducati. Race winners & contenders in both series. Maybe that's me being more knowledgeable than the guy walking into the dealership with flip flops and a backwards cap, but cool paint jobs and replica racers only get you so far.
    Does race wins, translate to bike sales?, thats the big question. Honda is poor in superbikes, but probably builds the best road sports bikes. HP and electronics help on the track, but for a road bike, big HP isn't always necessary to ride fast, and electronics are nice to fiddle with, lots riders just turn them off. (except quick shifter, i love that) what makes a great road bike, don't always make a great race bike, and vice versa.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Does race wins, translate to bike sales?, thats the big question. Honda is poor in superbikes, but probably builds the best road sports bikes. HP and electronics help on the track, but for a road bike, big HP isn't always necessary to ride fast, and electronics are nice to fiddle with, lots riders just turn them off. (except quick shifter, i love that) what makes a great road bike, don't always make a great race bike, and vice versa.
    For certain brands during the 30 years of World Supers, I would say yes. Ducati stomped the competition throughout the 90's and still carry that legacy of winning with them today.

I would also say if the RC51 had not won in 2000 & 2002, it (and Honda) would have been seen as miserable failures. The twin RC is rapidly becoming one of the most collectible Japanese bikes around, in large part because of that success.

OTOH, Aprilia more or less dominated the first few years of the 2010's, with little to show for it in way of bike sales even though the RSV4 in years to come will be (IMO) extremely desirable as a collectible.

Does Kawasaki sell more bikes than say, BMW/Yamaha/Suzuki? To your point I think these days the marketing link to winning and selling is very thin.

Ironic when you think about it that the bikes are probably closer to showroom stock now than they were in the heady days of the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post

Does Kawasaki sell more bikes than say, BMW/Yamaha/Suzuki? To your point I think these days the marketing link to winning and selling is very thin.
    I don't know overall sales, but Kawis are definitely popular in club racing.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

In the Aus superbike series 3q of the feild was yamaha's
    And yes the same here with club racing Kwakas

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    I don't know overall sales, but Kawis are definitely popular in club racing.
    With good reason, they are great race bikes (not so great road bikes), kit parts are cheap compared to other manufacturers .