Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rules shakeup for world supers 2018

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Aprilia "leftovers"? Doth your disappointment color the objectivity too much?

Camier had seven podiums on that bike in two seasons, 2010-2011. He has had only two podiums since. His 7th place in the 2011 championship remains his best to date.

Big Leon towered above Max physically, perhaps not the ideal build for the compact RSV4.
    No, not at all, but it would be nave to believe that Camier had parity within the team in terms of support. machinery etc, and he was the same size when they hired him, not Max sized but had a sudden growth spurt over the winter!

And if you look at the bikes he's been on since its hardly surprising that the podiums haven't been forthcoming.......he's never really had a fair chance to display his talent, even the British based Crescent Suzuki team shat on him by promising continuity of his contract only to renege when Eugene Laverty, or was it Alex Lowes, can't remember, became available.

I'm pretty confident he'll take the Honda to levels its not been to since JR moved on but unless Honda themselves show a proper interest its not going to trouble the podium very often, if at all........better job security as opposed to MV is perhaps the only saving grace.

Anyway, its all irrelevant, I saw and sat on the new V4 Ducati yesterday, the rest may as well pack up and go home come 2019! What a beautiful piece of engineering............

i think i know what he means. you know max had to be getting better primary care (and maybe parts) than leon. i remember being disappointed in him, but my expectations were probably colored. i really cared about the bike more, and don't caree for max.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Camier and Spies both excelled on the xplane R1 in 2009 , a bike more suited to their stature. Yes I've no doubt that he was in the aprilia team to make up the numbers, and they at that time they probably weren't equipped to put out two identical specced bikes. When he did a stint as a MotoGP stand in, the team were very impressed and wanted him full time for the following season, but were unable to put the finances in place.

I remember well Big Leon's 2010 season on the Alitalia Aprilia. He was extremely aggressive, predictably so given his much bigger stature, and over-riding the bike led to falls. The classic Big Guy Syndrome! "Shafter" was 50+ pounds more than Biaggi and less slippery, a tough deficit for any rider to overcome. Still, he did a credible job in my opinion.

I witnessed his very fine second place at Miller Motorsports Park that season. He was ~6 seconds behind Max at the finish but safely clear of other pursuers including Crutchlow on the R1. Leon's trap speeds were really excellent, and only a tiny fraction below the Roman's. What he rode that weekend was a very good motorcycle.

and that is the point there. he rode a better bike that year.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567