Thread: NHTSA #17V380000 Recall: Piaggio

apriliaforum prov-nov

NHTSA #17V380000 Recall: Piaggio

I have a 2017 V7 III Racer w/abs.

I've posted b4 my interest in learning how to bleed Guzzi abs system. This past Sunday in a spirited ride on rural roads I lost the front brake. The lever pulled to the grip. (full stroke (#6 position adjustable lever). Nearly standing on the rear brake I slowed enough to make a turn and stop. There was no abs action. The rear tire was sliding and gently wagging from side to side b4 turn-in. Yesterday the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumers News was delivered. Last night I read of the above listed recall.

Might anyone offer essential information other than 'front brake hose?' TIA, R3~

apriliaforum Junkie
    Seems to be based around the possibility of a front brake hose leak.
    Is yours leaking?

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V380000

Manufacturer Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.

Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number of Units Affected 1,139

Summary

Piaggio Group Americas, Inc. (Piaggio) is recalling certain 2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Racer 750, V7 III Stone 750, V7 III Special 750, and 2016-2017 V9 Bobber, V9 Roamer motorcycles. The front ABS brake hose may rub against the engine's secondary air system connection, possibly resulting in a brake fluid leak.

Remedy

Piaggio will notify owners, and dealers will secure the front ABS brake hose to prevent it from rubbing. Any hose that has already been damaged, will be replaced. The repairs will be made free of charge. The recall began June 22, 2017. Owners may contact Piaggio customer service at 1-212-380-4433.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Perhaps this message will reach you, Chris. I've a more or less chronic problem trying to post on this forum. I've run out of time and patience today. I hope to hear back from Ed. Perhaps take another shot at it. NO LEAKS in the brake system. R3~

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Chris, others,
    There are no leaks. I've bled the front caliper. Added less than one tablespoon to a slightly less than full reservoir, (@ the 1st opening of same).
    The upgrade of a 'stand-off' to eliminate scuffing the brake hose had been done. I wasn't made aware of the problem b4 or during delivery.
    During Pre-delivery @ the dealership I asked for a few modifications. One was exchanging the bars for those off a Verde Legnano. That may have been the point of air accessing the hydraulic system.
    By the size of the brake hoses & their stiffness I believe they have braided s/s sheathing.
    With my lack of success bleeding the frt. brake I took to binding the lever to the grip. I've done it several times including 2- 30 hr. periods. It is slightly better each time, but doesn't last long, once being ridden again. Thank you for your interest, Chris. R3~

apriliaforum expert
    Not to state the obvious, but it sounds like you are saying your brake was fine until suddenly it was not. That sounds like a failure. That does not sound like something you can fix by bleeding the brakes. Why do you not just take it to the dealer? It may be something internal in the M/C has failed. Or the line itself has failed. I think all you are going to achieve bleeding the brakes is to piss yourself off.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Apologies GuzziMoto, for this late reply.
    From new the front brake was always spongy. I added adj. levers to get a longer stroke so that The lever wouldn't contact the grip. The dealer, in counsel w/factory tech in CA, believes he has corrected the problem with a computer driven fluid change that cycles transfer ports(?), in the abs pump. I will get the bike back 14 November. Currently it's 22deg. F here. Oh darn. But the roads are clean and dry. R3~

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Wind-up: Brought the bike back from the dealer a few days ago and added 83 miles this past Wednesday, as a check ride. The bike operates better through clutch and braking. It's as it could/should have been. My son found what was causing the clutch to have zero feel and no 'play'. The cable took a very tortuous path from under the tank to the lever, inducing enough friction to spoil the action.
    The brake system took two sessions on a computer controlled fill/cycling system to clear the air completely. It's fun to ride now.
    All services were done @ no charge. R3~

apriliaforum expert
    Glad to hear. If it was that way from the beginning I imagine it was never bled right from the beginning.
    Once a system is mostly full of brake fluid it can sometimes be very difficult to get that last bit of air out. I assume ABS only makes it harder.
    One of my old school favorite ways to bled difficult brakes is to pump the brakes to extend the caliper pistons as far as you can (but not so far they pop out) and then, holding the system so that up is back towards the master, push the pistons back into the caliper rapidly. That quickly forces the fluid back up the system into the master. Do that a few times and usually the brakes are hard as a rock when done. But I have not had to do that on an ABS equipped motorcycle yet.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I find it strange that with at least 40 years riding experience I have never yearned for anything like ABS.

Now after reading this, that point of view remains unmolested.
    Last edited by Chris Wilson; 11-30-2017 at 03:39 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I agree with you, Chris. "They" call progress. It's getting cold here. Likely be March or Avril before a spirited ride is safe.

apriliaforum expert
    I know there are people who should have ABS, whether on a bike or car. And on a car I do have ABS, but I don't own a bike with ABS or even feel the need to have it. The wife does have one bike, a Ducati Monster, that has ABS. It was not any part of the reasoning of why she wanted that bike, it just is what it is.
    If someone else wants ABS, or feels that it is a good thing, I am fine with that. But it is not something that everyone "needs", and it is not always a "good thing".
    It should be an option, and everyone should be allowed to decide for themselves. If the bike only comes with it you should be able to turn it off.