Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 in Austin.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I was in Austin yesterday, but didnít get to stick around for any of the festivities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F1 in Austin.

So...what of the Verstappen penalty? Its lighting up my facebook news feed. Personally i agree with the likes of Niki Lauda and Mario Andretti: i think it was a ridiculous penalty in a series rife with ridiculous penalties. Maxís drive to be in that position was nothing short of phenomenal, and the fact they decided to enforce an arbitrary track limit penalty whilst letting folks rubber-up the runoffs all race long, its bad optics for a series thats fighting to stay relevant. I think F1 is improving, but it needs battles like that one if its going to keep folks interested. Tires on the paint or not, its a bad look for fans that saw VER cross the line in 3rd, and RAI ascend the podium to take the trophy.

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200
    1999 Ducati 748

Verstapen drove great, but unfortunately his pass was illegal and he got punished for it.

Rules is Rules, and these same rules apply in most forms of motor and motorcycle racing.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by disco dave View Post
    So...what of the Verstappen penalty? Its lighting up my facebook news feed. Personally i agree with the likes of Niki Lauda and Mario Andretti: i think it was a ridiculous penalty in a series rife with ridiculous penalties. Maxís drive to be in that position was nothing short of phenomenal, and the fact they decided to enforce an arbitrary track limit penalty whilst letting folks rubber-up the runoffs all race long, its bad optics for a series thats fighting to stay relevant. I think F1 is improving, but it needs battles like that one if its going to keep folks interested. Tires on the paint or not, its a bad look for fans that saw VER cross the line in 3rd, and RAI ascend the podium to take the trophy.

You need to stay on the race track Dave when your making a pass, i think you will find thats the case in all (most) motorsport.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Fair enough, not really disputing that he may have exceeded track limits, just that the enforcement seemed rather selective and looked really bad. According to Lauda, the stewards had agreed at some point not to intervene in this way. To have that agreement, allow drivers to abuse the curbs (they were all over the track) and step in to change a podium result is bad optics.

Ive seen every angle of it. No doubt at least half the car was on the red paint. Everyone was driving on the red paint all weekend. F1 drivers have always used the curbs.

I guess my point isnt that he didnt break the letter of the rules. Its more that maybe that shouldnt be a rule, and i think thats what Lauda meant too. He said its just a white line, if you dont want racing there then build a wall.

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200
    1999 Ducati 748

In addition, drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason.

he had to tighten his line, did he not? to avoid the collision?
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRMNL View Post
    In addition, drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason.

he had to tighten his line, did he not? to avoid the collision?
    I didn't see the race, but this sounds like the same argument I made with the whole Rossi/Marquez thing, but in a different context (not the time/pace to bring that argument back up). IMHO, entire surface of the track is a racing surface. Any racer can take another racer to the edge of the racing surface, even deliberately while maintaining their line, and if the racer overtaking cannot make a pass on the racing surface, they need to try again elsewhere. If you can't do it, then you can't...it isn't up to the guy in front of you to pull over and let you by (unless he's being lapped). COTA's minimum width is 39ft/11.9m (max 52ft/15.8m)...that's a lot of paved surface to make a pass attempt for a car that is maxed out at 2.0m wide.

the problem is others did it. then he got called on it basically becuase he "benefited" from the move. it just sux becuase he drove an epic come back. you really should watch this one. and then telling kimi he was back on podium, and kimi showing up in drivers room like "ahem; 'scuse me"......
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

apriliaforum expert
    Arguably everyone who cut the track or ran wide when going too fast benefited from it. But when you pass someone by doing so it is no longer a "judgement call", it is clear that you benefited from it. On top of that, he didn't run wide (although he did do that in the run up to the pass), he cut the course, he short cut that corner, he cut the inside of the corner. The best footage of it to me was Kimi's on board camera footage. He was all four wheels off the inside of the corner. So to make a pass like that and not expect some sort of penalty, something to take away the advantage you received, is childish. The funny thing is that Verstappen gets away with more than most other drivers in F1, but in his mind he is the persecuted one (and in his dads mind as well).
    Up until then I thought the big story was going to be Ferrari's strategy F' Up. But I guess this wins. Now he and his dad are suggesting we boycott next years F1 race at COTA. WTF?
    I did see his team mate take a similar line where he seemed to be pushing the boundaries of cutting the apex, but he was not doing it to pass someone else. I am not sure if that should make a difference, but when you pass someone like that you should expect something.
    I wish they would stop building tracks where the fastest line is not between the track limits. Grass, nasty curbs, etc., anything to make the track the fastest way around. That would stop this judgement call crap.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Theres so much motorsport to watch this weekend, SB, Moto GP, F1, and the V8 touring cars in Surfers. Loving it, worn a spot on my couch, and drunk shit loads of coffee then beers after 1 pm. the young kiwi did ok for his first time in the car, he gets a 2 spot penalty incurred by the previous driver, so he's going to be back in the grid, prob be last starter, hope he goes well in the race, on live here tomorrow morning.
    You waited 'till 1pm? Are you becoming Australian?

Cheers

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    You waited 'till 1pm? Are you becoming Australian?

Cheers
    All Kiwi. I have a self imposed starting time in the week ends, I'm on holiday next week, for 2 weeks, and my self imposed curfew goes out the window. Guinness for breakfast, too right.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12