Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 in Austin.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki

F1 in Austin.

Hopefully a few of you locals will get along to the F1. Theres a young Kiwi racing this weekend in his first race in the big time. So a big good luck for Brendon Hartley. Go well young fella, all NZ is behind you, and very proud you have made a start in the biggest race series of all.
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 10-20-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

apriliaforum expert
    Got invited to go, but I already promised the kids a trip to the airshow

General admission walking around tickets were $109 and free kids are age 2 and under wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Ducati Monster 1200S

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post

General admission walking around tickets were $109 and free kids are age 2 and under wtf

That track is a greedy ass track. I will not go there because I don't like the guy who owns the place. He would seemingly screw anyone he could if it meant more money for him, and he has done so.
    Also, it might be a great track to ride / drive, but the races there are somewhat boring as the layout does not promote good racing.
    But I will be watching on TV and rooting for the Kiwi.

apriliaforum expert
    Moto gp is somewhat reasonable and typical age kids are free

'15 Ducati Monster 1200S

Don't forget this Kiwi, out in the world living the dream: https://www.facebook.com/TelfordRacing/

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Don't forget this Kiwi, out in the world living the dream: https://www.facebook.com/TelfordRacing/
    I know Dillon, he was the mechanic on my ex V4, he's doing it solo racing the V4, also did a few track days when he was there testing, he's very fast on the APE, i heard he also had a go on Gabro,s V4T race bike, not confirmed tho. Dillons father Bruce was a very good racer, he raced an 04 factory for awhile successfully , and was bloody fast on it, he won a few BEARS races and a title from memory.
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 10-20-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

I worked the inaugural COTA F1 providing VVIP helicopter transport. The race (like a lot of F1) was a racecar parade soozefest. No thanks.
    JD

'01 Futura

F1 in Austin.

That airshow was no bargain though...looked into it for the fam, think it was going to cost us $200! To go see some old warbirds and the T-Birds (which arent worth half of the Blue Angels, and thats coming from a USAF veteran).

When i was a kid, attended Aerospace America in OKC every year, which was one of the biggest airshows in the US at the time, and i could swear tickets were only $7 a pop. Seen both Blue Angels and Thunderbirds in San Antonio for far less. Plus all the cool WWII iron. Cant believe how much it costs to see airplanes fly these days.

Might run out to F1 for Sunday w the boys, but as an avid lifelong F1 fan, i really dont feel like im missing much if i dont make it. Its just so boring these days.

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200
    1999 Ducati 748

apriliaforum expert
    $32/adult up to 6 kids under the 14 free

'15 Ducati Monster 1200S

$32/adult up to 6 kids under the 14 free

Still though, thats $96 for me, spouse, and 18yo. And the two little uns free to watch airplanes fly. Guess we were spoiled by the cheap military airshows in SA.

That being said, i appreciate that it takes a lot of cash to keep an old radial engine in service these days. I remember going to one airshow with my grandfather, a Marine WWII veteran Corsair mechanic who spent his adult life wrenching on various airframes, helping this crew out with the left engine on an A-26 Invader that was on static display. Not a lot of folks around anymore that know how to wrench radial engines. They’d been having some issues with it, and just watching my long-retired grandfather help them to troubleshoot that thing, gave me some perspective on what it takes to keep those things flying well past their sell by date. Gotta be a lot of money tied up in keeping these old airplanes in the air.

2015 Aprilia Caponord 1200
    1999 Ducati 748

apriliaforum expert
    That $96 is not even 1 general admission ticket to F1

'15 Ducati Monster 1200S

Traffic sucked downtown this morning. I went to the Livestrong Foundation to pick up my ride packet for tomorrow's century. Downtown was full of buses and coaches picking up F1 spectators. The UT football game was gearing up and streets were closed for something. Grown... I think Heritage Classic is this weekend too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Pete

eventful. the kiwi did well just getting bumped end of q1. stroll almost crashing grosjean, alonso somehow finding speed from his machine, and verstappen going backwards.oh-hamilton setting new record time.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Theres so much motorsport to watch this weekend, SB, Moto GP, F1, and the V8 touring cars in Surfers. Loving it, worn a spot on my couch, and drunk shit loads of coffee then beers after 1 pm. the young kiwi did ok for his first time in the car, he gets a 2 spot penalty incurred by the previous driver, so he's going to be back in the grid, prob be last starter, hope he goes well in the race, on live here tomorrow morning.

once again-eventful. if you thought this one was dull, you were on drugs. starting with vettels split 5 laps from the end all the way through last five mins. poor verstappen....after all that work and actually done in front of the cameras. punch in the guts. had to be the most awkward sports moment i've seen lately.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast