Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Problems

apriliaforum newb

Dash Problems

Hi I have recently bought an 04 plate ETV 1000 ( built in indicator model) and up to yesterday ran fine. I had had the tank off to service it and went out for a ride afterwards. Part way through my ride yesterday the speedo stopped working altogether, temp gauge says ERROR and fuel gauge shows nothing. All lights work fine such as indicator, side stand etc, and the rev counter is working fine. Is this something anyone is familiar with? Could I have loosened a connection somewhere when removing the tank? As far as I am aware there is only 1 plug to the dash and I didn't go near that.

Quote Originally Posted by nmcd1963 View Post
    Hi I have recently bought an 04 plate ETV 1000 ( built in indicator model) and up to yesterday ran fine. I had had the tank off to service it and went out for a ride afterwards. Part way through my ride yesterday the speedo stopped working altogether, temp gauge says ERROR and fuel gauge shows nothing. All lights work fine such as indicator, side stand etc, and the rev counter is working fine. Is this something anyone is familiar with? Could I have loosened a connection somewhere when removing the tank? As far as I am aware there is only 1 plug to the dash and I didn't go near that.
    hi there NMCD! welcome to the capo world.

i have repaired my dash panel several times. both times broken solder joints on the PCB.

there is a common fault where a track passes through the PCB at the leg of the capacitor but when this happens everything is lost no speedo, no rev counter no temp nada but the side stand oil and neutral light still work.

there are a number of threads on that one.

the second time i repained the dash i had lost half of the ilumination.

there are a couple of guys on here who can repair dashes for others, BeastHonda and MotoAbruzzo (hope they dont mind me quoting their names).

this was the thread form my own experiences http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...light=dash+fix

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...light=dash+fix

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Falcojake

I have done initial checks such as loose connectors wiring etc and nothing stands out. the temp gauge appears to be intermittent though, 1 minute working then I get an ERROR message on the screen. The speedo is very odd as the needle drops way below 0. I took it apart expecting it to be swinging freely but there is resistance. I moved it to zero but as soon as I plugged it back in the needle dropped again so there is some sort of electrical issue there. The speedo does work but on the stand with the gears engaged it should be showing about 30mph but barely registers 10mph. Can anything else affect it such as battery, relays, or regulator?

apriliaforum newb
    Speedo sorted thanks to Karl at MotoAbruzzo just need to sort the coolant temp gauge now just shows ERROR

Have you checked your battery?
    Had a similar issue recently when my battery's negative connection was about to break.
    I think there is also an earth connection that gets corroded after some time.

apriliaforum newb
    Will check all connection when I get Time suspect it is something simple like a connection somewhere.

apriliaforum newb
    HI Guys,

Just picked up a 2001 ETV 1000 after a break for a few years, had a couple of RSV's so the Capo appeals. Bought the bike with a front ender and dash is off for some soldering.
    Question - will the capo start and idle (or ride) without the dash connected? i have tried to no joy. im guessing the dash PCB controls the ignition?
    btw- if anyone has a dash connector plug with 10-20cm of wiring harness let me know the connector is a little buggered.
    thanks and regards,

apriliaforum Member
    Did you buy the one that was listed on Pickles Auctions?
    Its not Satellitebikema but Satellitebikeman too many letters on signup

When I was young I spent most of my money on drinking,fast motorcyles and women, the rest I just wasted.

Bike will run without dash

apriliaforum expert northern phil's Avatar
    Same as happened to me. Speedo stopped, everything else ok,

Send it to Karl (motoabruzzo) hes a wiz, fixed mine and replaced all lights with new bright leds.

apriliaforum newb
    yeah, thats the one.

apriliaforum newb
    ok great thanks Haga Lout. ill check all the basics again. good to know the dash PCB is not blocking the ignition from starting.

apriliaforum prov-nov

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a high res photo of the left hand side of the PCB at all? im trying to find the SMD resistor value for the far top left resistor in the red circle below. Mine fell off through age I assume and I need to replace. (2001 ETV 1000)

An assistance would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Looks like each LED has a current limiting resistor. See what the other values are. They should all be the same.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast