Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Free 2003 Scarabeo 150

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar

My Free 2003 Scarabeo 150

Let me introduce myself, I'm the guy that got Nurse's Scarabeo that he was giving away. I'm not new to scooters or Italian scooter, I have a few. The thread is here. It was a great day to drive to Charlottesville, I Hadn't been there in years. Nurse was a great guy and I could tell the scooter had completely frustrated him. He had taken it to a shop and had them do what it took to get it running again. When he got it back it had no power. They said it was fine and they were done. He helped me get it in the van and I was a good guy and gave him $100 that he had suggested. The title was clean and we took care of all of that and I was off. This is what it looked like when I found it:
    Name:  IMG_0276.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  131.6 KB
    It was complete with some damage from sitting outside. The instrument surround had melted and some paint was faded from the windscreen. Other than that it was in great shape for a 14 year old scooter with 6000 miles on it. I got it home and on the lift and started looking it over. It had a new battery that was dead, new antifreeze, oil, gas was good and the carb had been cleaned. I put the charger on the battery and called it a night. The next evening I went and tried to start it, nothing. Lights worked horn, no starter. I found the starting relay and jumped the terminals and it started right up. it took a few cranks but there it was. It sounded tight with a slight ticking. I shut it down. I then tested the starter button and it was good, I jumped the pins on the relays connector and nothing, Its a bad relay. Off to Autozone where I got a 4 pole pole starter relay for a Briggs and Stratton riding mower. Use the connector from the relay and put connectors on and installed it and it all worked. It is tight in there so I had to adapt the new relay.

I took it for a quick drive up and down my street and what a dog. I then checked the valves and found them really tight. They had probably set them to a GY6 valve clearances which is tighter then the .007 and .012 that the Beo is speced. to. I got the valves set and it sounded better. I then drove it again, still a dog. I was thinking it was a 50cc engine inside. I then pulled the plastics, what a pita. Its a lot of work to do such easy things. I then checked the diaphragm and it was whole, and closed the carb up. Pulled the plug and it looked fine. Filter was clean, closed it up and took off, still the same. I then thought what would Tom, Vernon or Rocky do. I then pulled the plastics off once again and started it and looked at the slide as I throttled up. Aha, it wasn't moving. Pulled the cap and carefully put the diaphragm in and tried again. I got it half way this time. Did it one more time with small daps of sealant to hold it in place and bang I had full function. Time to go to the DMV and get tags, that took 10 minutes and I was home and took it for a ride. I have a Vespa GTS 250ie and the Beo feels as good.

Now I looked at everything else. It needed a new front tire, the rollers had a few flat spots and the belt was of questionable age. I ordered all as well as a new plug and cap. They came yesterday so Today I pulled the CVT cover and replaced them all. I cleaned the grease out of the variator before I put in 10gram DR. Pulley sliders. The belt was a malossi belt that was a tad small but sat nicely on the drive boss and the top of the clutch. The old belt was about an 1/8" proud of the rear pulley so it probably never got to the bottom and the variator face had line about a 3/16" from the eddge. This belt should improve the top speed some. I put it back together and took it for a ride and it felt a little better. I might have been a little heavy on the slides, I ride it a while and see. One thing I found in the clutch were blue springs like someone had done some tuning.

I cleaned up the plastics the sitting had gotten them dirty. The floor boards and leg shield were really beat:
    Name:  IMG_0280.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  159.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Beo plastics before.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	344182
    A trick I learned from Lucas2t on 49cc scoot was to use Boiled Linseed Oil. I tried it and it was a big improvement:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beo new plastic 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	532.7 KB 
ID:	344183
    They could look better it was my first time. The next time I'll scotch Brite pad them so they are more even.

The front tire was the original and cracked everywhere. I thought the bead was going to break when I took it off the rim. I put a City Grip on in its place. The back was a new Dunlap K-630. They seem to behave well together, I'll need a longer ride to know.

I was lurking here and researching for the few days it took to get the scoot and knew what to look for. I need to thank Tom and Vernon for their help and tell anyone reading this that when they say check the Diaphragm don't buy a new CDI, they know what they are saying. Having seen the nightmare with the fuel pump and vacuum petcock. I'm surprised any of these run. One thing I always say when there is a gravity fed tank with a vacuum petcock is get rid of it and put a manual valve in. Its not will it fail, its when will it fail.

My future plans are an electric pump and rerouting the fuel line. Getting rid of the emissions and the petcock. If they had mounted the tank a few inches hire or the carb lower it could be a gravity feed but instead its the mess we have to live with. I may put the windscreen back on but this will be my around town scoot so I like the wind. This Italian motivated me to get to one of my other Italians a 200r carbureted BV250. I've had it since February and its a mess. Heres a preview:Name:  BV250 before.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  222.2 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File Feb 23, 4 37 36 PM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	525.2 KB 
ID:	344185  

One last thing, what is this sensor?

Name:	Beo mystery sensor.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	468.4 KB 
ID:	344187

apriliaforum Member
    That linseed oil brings out a nice patina on that plastic. I plan on taking my worn panels down to the local shop and having them restore the panels.

apriliaforum newb

Throttle sticking,

ps I should have mentioned the throttle on the right handlebar got sticky. I pulled it off, and there are no bearings, it just slides one tube outside of another. The inner tube ( essentially the handlebar) was rusted and pitted. I sanded it well, and liberally applied grease, and it stopped sticking so would then automatically return to idle speed when you took your hand off the throttle. Just thought you should keep an eye on that. Also if you can get me your address I will send an extra key I found. Enjoy, Scott ( the nurse)

Thanks for letting me know about the throttle, it's been a little stiff. I rode my Vespa yesterday and yanked the throttle like I have been and almost went through my fence. I would like to thank you again for the scoot.

I pulled this up on the lift to work on it yesterday. My goals were electric fuel pump, bigger pilot jet, pull all of the CARB stuff off, and add a Tach. I got The pump installed and the #40 pilot jet. It started up with a little help and I let it warm up and adjusted the A/F screw. I then noticed it was leaking oil out of the breather hose on the valve cover. The hose had lots of cracks and was in need of replacement. That ended that day fast. Ordered a hose and lamps for the BV250 and moved it off the rack until I see them.

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks, keep us posted on the Beo 150......love those things!

How did the electric fuel pump install go? Which one did you use?

Vernon

apriliaforum Member
    At this point my maintenance is a witch doctor spirit dance around bike while shaking beads and a totem stick at the bike.

I tried that with my scoots and the problems didn't go away. I hope to get them all running well so that I can do a rotation. I did take tags and insurance off two today to cut down on the guilt of not doing work to them.

apriliaforum expert
    Pinkscoot.....are all your scooters Beo 150's?

Vernon

No I just have the one Beo. I have a Vespa GTS250, Vespa S50, Italjet Velocifero, Derbi Predator, BV250 that I'm rebuilding as well as a Vespa ET2 that is a project waiting for me. I have several yamaha projects in the wings as well. I enjoy working on and restoring scooters. Lately I have been hooked on Italian scooters because they are so well made.

Name:	Garage after.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	507.1 KB 
ID:	354716
    This is my garage.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, Italjet Velocifero, Vespa GTS 250, Vespa S50, BV 250 (rebuilding), 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)

I was able to get some more work done the past couple of days. I got the breather hose and it worked like a champ. It started right up.help. I was able to get it to warm up and adjusted the A/F mixture. I had wanted to tune this with a A/F mixture gauge but I haven't been able to find a steel bung to connect to weld to the exhaust. Plenty of stainless ones and I don't TIG. It will be a future project. The throttle on this was a little stiff so I opened the cover and cleaned and greased it a little. It didn't really help much. I ran the cable for the Tach and hooked it up. Checked the valves while it was so naked. I added a pressure regulator just to be sure the pump pressure would stay consistent. I set it to 1 1/2 PSI. I was having a problem that the revs would hang but there were no leaks and the mixture was good. The problem was gone today so I took it for a ride and the tach said I was revving at 12,000rpm then it was all over the place. It was fine at idle. I brought it home and the rev hanging problem was back. I pulled the tach off and the rev problem went away. HMMMM I don't know if they are related but it solved the problem.

It was time to cook dinner. Probably tomorrow I'll take it for a longer ride. I forgot how well she handles and how much power she has. I found an old cheap Chinese tach that isn't inductive that I'll try. It also is a round face and chrome so it will be a nice addition.

The pump I used was off of Amazon. They are all bigger than they look in the picture. Here is a link.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, Italjet Velocifero, Vespa GTS 250, Vespa S50, BV 250 (rebuilding), 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)

apriliaforum expert
    Interesting.....thanks.....look forward to the next update.

Vernon

After adding the pump and 40 PJ it didn't help the starting or cold engine revving. But I developed a new problem, the RPM's would hang. I looked everywhere for an air leak on the carb and nothing. The throttle snapped back on the idle screw. I looked at the intake sleeve. and it looked solid. I was really stymied. As I was hooking the air box back on I saw the carb rolled a little. I checked the clamps and one was loose. As I tightened it I saw a small crack under it. I pulled it off and on the bottom I found this:

That with the cracking around the clamp was doing it. Its what I always tell newbies, check your intake and any cracking is a bad thing. I then went to the NAPA store, those guys laugh at me when I go looking for things but always find something. They came up with the fuel filler neck off of a Ford Focus. $20 a foot. I now have enough to do several intakes. Here is a picture of it going in:

Like it was made for it. I got it together and problem gone.

I decided to just check the valves again. This time instead of guessing top dead center I pulled the screw from the case that's back by the starter and put a longer screw in to lock the crankshaft at top dead center. This is what Nicola recommends at https://www.loscarabeorotax.com/manu.../gioco-valvole. He is the guru, he knows everything you need to know about your 150 Scarabeo. I use Google translate and then translate that. I was off with the valves and got them perfect.

One thing about these is they like to be used every day, just 3 days of sitting and they are hard to start. Even if you use them everyday it takes about 10 minutes to warm up enough to ride it. I was reading a thread on another forum that someone was saying raise the needle and thinking on the problem when it hit me. My old Znen 150 had the same problem and I put a shim under the needle and it went away. I tried it when I was working on everything else and the engine was cold and it started right up and revved fine. Sometimes its hard to remember everything. These also tend to run lean so that will help there as well.

I then looked at the fuel line run and decided that where it went into the fuel pump was a little crimped and might be a problem. I made a loop with the hose and no problems. Put it together and took it for a ride. I got about 3 miles and it died. I went to start it and the battery was low. These need nice charged batteries to run and this one had been running down quick. A friend came and got me and I loaded it in my van and did the drive of shame. Hey these are pretty heavy scoots and there were a few big hills between me and the garage. I had a new battery for the Vespa that I hadn't put in yet. Putting a battery in this was a bitch. Its in the front behind leg shield. It was not something I want to do soon. I got it in and started it right up. I took it for a 20 minute ride near home and it ran great. I checked the voltage regulator and it was giving me 14 volts at 4000rpm so I think its good.

Now all of my scoots that have tags, as well as a few that don't are runners. Time to get them running better, or move on to another project.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkscoot View Post
    A But I developed a new problem, the RPM's would hang. The throttle snapped back on the idle screw.
    I also seem to be having some problems starting it up. It does start every time, but probably takes a bit more effort than it should. Also I am not quite sure it idles correctly (the idle screw doesnt seem to be doing anything).

Can you elaborate what do you mean by throttle snapping back and RPM's hanging?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast