Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Open Flash Tablet 2017 Tuono Adventure

  1. #16
    apriliaforum prov-nov JavCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canary Islands
    Posts
    51
    Many thanks. Appreciating your work with this post

  2. #17
    apriliaforum prov-nov HotRod104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    57
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OFTworkSetup.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	344510

    So here is my work setup for the ECU flash from the Aprilia Race ECU to the OTS(off the shelf) Stage 2 flash.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OTSFlashStage2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	344511

    A screenshot of the ECU Write/Flash process. All in all it took 10 minutes give or take a few second to do.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OFTDashECUdisconnetAlarm.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	344512

    Again, this is what your dash is going to display while the ECU is being flashed. Nothing to worry about as soon as the process is done and complete the alarm goes away. I would also like to remind anyone going through with this to go into the diagnostic function of the OFT and do the throttle reset before disconnecting. Literally just a few cycles of the key/ignition that are prompted by the OFT. Super easy and not as intimidating of a procedure as I initially thought.

  3. #18
    apriliaforum prov-nov HotRod104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    57
    Ok, so here is my "Seat of the Pants" review of the Openflash Tablet so far.

    It is everything it is supposed to be and claims to be. Period!

    So I have the 2 ECU flash files from Shiv that are available for the 2017 Tuono, the race ECU file and the Openflash Performance OTS Stage 2 file. I started with the race ECU flash and went with that for a few days to give it a proper run through. It was just as everyone who has the actual Aprilia race ECU has stated. I even got the little Aprilia racing icon on the bottom of my dash...
    I cant say that I noticed the bike running any cooler with the flash, but that is not what I was looking for. The bike totally smoothed out and really seemed more sorted at lower RPM's. Then, holy mother of Pete, this act of a mild manner'd ruffian was just a front... this beast of a bike actually pulled very strong and powerful from a dead stop well past 115 mph...(professional driver on closed course*** maybe?!). That power paired up with the SC Project Oval slip on is just down right evil!! I was noticing head checks and stares as I pulled up to traffic lights from other drivers, which for the Northern Virginia/DC crowd is saying something to get them to look away from their phones while behind the wheel is a major win!

    So for those of you wondering if this is worth it, my reply is "YES!"... the race ECU is miles above the stock ECU for just simple ridability. It is more sorted and much smoother at lower RPM's over stock. I did notice that the jerky-jumpy throttle, below 5k RPM, was significantly gone. The ONLY niggle that I had was finding Neutral became an effort... wasn't just a one off thing either. It was consistently tough to get into either from first or second. So that was annoying, but not the end of the world.

    So now I flashed over to the Openflash Performance Stage 2 ECU tune... and let me tell you this, if the difference between the stock ECU and race ECU is worth the price of admission, well then little buddy have I have a treat for you! This is hands down everything that you would want for the Tuono! The smoothness and ridability are there, but OMFG is the power delivery just spot on!! The pure joy of banging through the gears as smooth as you like while being at WTFO throttle( or close to it) is intense! I cant imagine going back to the stock ECU and not consider it a punishment of sorts. It really does change the bike and overall experience of riding the Tuono, honestly. Rolling on from 3rd gear @ about 4k RPM's is like getting launched on an amusement park ride... you go from just tooling about to Holy shit what did I just do!?!? It is every bit as good as the difference between stock and race ECU is... and the best part for me is I could find NEUTRAL AGAIN!!! lmfao!

    So just to sum it up for:
    Is it worth the price: It is a "GO!"
    Is it easy to use: "GO!"
    Would I recommend it: "GO!"

    I would like to thank Shiv and the folks over at Openflash Performance for putting out this awesome product! Topnotch product and customer service!! and that Stage 2 tune?!?!?! "ahh FAWK!" in my best Valentino Rossi voice!

  4. #19
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    763
    Awesome write up and thanks for the info!!!! I have the Race ECU now but dammit I think I need to save up for this to get that stage 2 tune!! So if I get the device, do the read and send it to Shiv, I am guessing I will only get the stage 2 tune, lol? Any difference in Quick Shifter function between them or how cool/hot the bike runs?

  5. #20
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Menlo Park, CA
    Posts
    4
    I just want to give Shiv my endorsement too. I ride with him in NorCal and he's tuned many of the Ducati's in our local Desmo Owners Clubs (700+ members). In case you're not savvy, Northern California (aka The Bay Area) has a 12 month riding season, spectacular & empty mountain roads and 3 world class tracks (Laguna, Thunder Hill, Sonoma) all within 2 hrs us. As a community we are perhaps the strongest riding community in the world. Tight nit, insestious and gossipy as all hell, Shiv is an active part of it and I'm here to tell you he and his OpenFlash product are the real deal. Verified, Bonafide and Trusted. I hope that helps those normally suspicious characters get over their disbelief.

  6. #21
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    NC, Winston-Salem
    Posts
    94
    Great info! Can't wait to receive my tablet next week.
    Quick question for Shiv. Can you change the amount of engine break in your tunes? Since the bike's original map can alter engine break I believe it should be possible?

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert punisher12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montgomery County MD
    Posts
    682
    HEY where in NOVA are you im in MoCo would LOVE to hear your exhaust at full tilt.. in person cause i cant decide haha and honestly I dont have a big battery charger lol i could come to you
    2017 Tuono RR bone stock
    2003 zx6r track bike..
    E46 project
    lifted 6.0 powerstroke

    Prior
    2013 Diavel
    2001 Falco. Renegade Undertail CF, Derestricted, Mille Swinger, upgraded shock and big boy spring, wire mod, headlight relay, Intergrated Signals.
    1997 900RR
    1993 F2

    Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    That guy behind you is huge, or was it Dr. Banner and you just cut him off!?

  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert punisher12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montgomery County MD
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRod104 View Post
    Ok, so here is my "Seat of the Pants" review of the Openflash Tablet so far.

    It is everything it is supposed to be and claims to be. Period!

    So I have the 2 ECU flash files from Shiv that are available for the 2017 Tuono, the race ECU file and the Openflash Performance OTS Stage 2 file. I started with the race ECU flash and went with that for a few days to give it a proper run through. It was just as everyone who has the actual Aprilia race ECU has stated. I even got the little Aprilia racing icon on the bottom of my dash...
    I cant say that I noticed the bike running any cooler with the flash, but that is not what I was looking for. The bike totally smoothed out and really seemed more sorted at lower RPM's. Then, holy mother of Pete, this act of a mild manner'd ruffian was just a front... this beast of a bike actually pulled very strong and powerful from a dead stop well past 115 mph...(professional driver on closed course*** maybe?!). That power paired up with the SC Project Oval slip on is just down right evil!! I was noticing head checks and stares as I pulled up to traffic lights from other drivers, which for the Northern Virginia/DC crowd is saying something to get them to look away from their phones while behind the wheel is a major win!

    So for those of you wondering if this is worth it, my reply is "YES!"... the race ECU is miles above the stock ECU for just simple ridability. It is more sorted and much smoother at lower RPM's over stock. I did notice that the jerky-jumpy throttle, below 5k RPM, was significantly gone. The ONLY niggle that I had was finding Neutral became an effort... wasn't just a one off thing either. It was consistently tough to get into either from first or second. So that was annoying, but not the end of the world.

    So now I flashed over to the Openflash Performance Stage 2 ECU tune... and let me tell you this, if the difference between the stock ECU and race ECU is worth the price of admission, well then little buddy have I have a treat for you! This is hands down everything that you would want for the Tuono! The smoothness and ridability are there, but OMFG is the power delivery just spot on!! The pure joy of banging through the gears as smooth as you like while being at WTFO throttle( or close to it) is intense! I cant imagine going back to the stock ECU and not consider it a punishment of sorts. It really does change the bike and overall experience of riding the Tuono, honestly. Rolling on from 3rd gear @ about 4k RPM's is like getting launched on an amusement park ride... you go from just tooling about to Holy shit what did I just do!?!? It is every bit as good as the difference between stock and race ECU is... and the best part for me is I could find NEUTRAL AGAIN!!! lmfao!

    So just to sum it up for:
    Is it worth the price: It is a "GO!"
    Is it easy to use: "GO!"
    Would I recommend it: "GO!"

    I would like to thank Shiv and the folks over at Openflash Performance for putting out this awesome product! Topnotch product and customer service!! and that Stage 2 tune?!?!?! "ahh FAWK!" in my best Valentino Rossi voice!
    that was ment for you lol
    2017 Tuono RR bone stock
    2003 zx6r track bike..
    E46 project
    lifted 6.0 powerstroke

    Prior
    2013 Diavel
    2001 Falco. Renegade Undertail CF, Derestricted, Mille Swinger, upgraded shock and big boy spring, wire mod, headlight relay, Intergrated Signals.
    1997 900RR
    1993 F2

    Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    That guy behind you is huge, or was it Dr. Banner and you just cut him off!?

  9. #24
    apriliaforum prov-nov HotRod104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher12b View Post
    HEY where in NOVA are you im in MoCo would LOVE to hear your exhaust at full tilt.. in person cause i cant decide haha and honestly I dont have a big battery charger lol i could come to you
    Hey bud, I am out in Warrenton, between DC and Front Royal on the map. I used to ride with some guys from your area, well Frederick...the Mohawk Ryder's. But I try to mostly stay out west of the 81 in the mountains and into West Virginia. PM me and see if we can work something out so you can get a first person of the sc project.
    Last edited by HotRod104; 10-18-2017 at 10:35 PM.

  10. #25
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    380
    HotRod, can you confirm that on/off throttle is totally and completely curred by Stage 2 tune?
    Simple test: 3rd gear, 4-4.5K RPM, close throttle and slitely open it again. Even with Race map and Akra slip-on the bike still jumps like crazy!
    This is the only thing I'd like to fix with the bike. I don't care about more power etc. If Stage 2 eliminates this issue, then it worth it for me, otherwise I'm pretty happy with Race map.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  11. #26
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    4
    Glad to hear your results! I just finished installing the RSV4 air filter and that made a big difference. Next is the OFT and then decide which slip-on I want

  12. #27
    apriliaforum prov-nov HotRod104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    57
    @ZR100A1
    I will give the situation you describe a few attempts the next time I get out on my bike. Do note that I have not experienced the level of symptoms you described. Snatchy and abrupt throttle at low rpms, but not a danger in my opinion and I wasn't there long enough for it to be prolonged. But like I said, I will give it a go.

  13. #28
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Danville, CA
    Posts
    163
    It's delightful to hear these reviews Thanks for the kind words. It's a pleasure working on this platform and dealing with you guys!
    In the Garage:
    2017 Tuono Factory
    2016 KTM RC390
    2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
    2014 RSV4 R
    2011 Ferrari 458
    2013 Scion FR-S
    2016 AMG GT S
    2016 Mazda MX5
    2016 Mazda CX5
    2017 Charger Hellcat
    OpenFlash Tablet
    Free Tunes || 3-Touch Programming || Digital Gauge Displays || Datalogging || Handheld Convenience || No Laptop Required

  14. #29
    apriliaforum expert punisher12b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montgomery County MD
    Posts
    682
    Were you up early or late shiv ha. Ugh i need some free time to get my coding so I can push basic race map in

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    2017 Tuono RR bone stock
    2003 zx6r track bike..
    E46 project
    lifted 6.0 powerstroke

    Prior
    2013 Diavel
    2001 Falco. Renegade Undertail CF, Derestricted, Mille Swinger, upgraded shock and big boy spring, wire mod, headlight relay, Intergrated Signals.
    1997 900RR
    1993 F2

    Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    That guy behind you is huge, or was it Dr. Banner and you just cut him off!?

  15. #30
    apriliaforum Member clutchNthrottle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Harford Co, Maryland
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher12b View Post
    HEY where in NOVA are you im in MoCo would LOVE to hear your exhaust at full tilt.. in person cause i cant decide haha and honestly I dont have a big battery charger lol i could come to you
    shudn't need a big charger, anything that puts out a single amp or so shud be fine, esp since the headlights don't come on... or just running a jumper cable from another 12V automotive battery would also work too
    2017 Tuono RR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OpenFlash Tablet Official Dyno Results: 2017 Tuono
    By OpenFlash in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 11-22-2017, 05:15 PM
  2. Open Flash Tablet
    By punisher12b in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-18-2017, 09:57 AM
  3. Any news yet on the (US) 2017 Tuono?
    By Luciano in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM
  4. How much to flash a standard Tuono V4 ECU for a slipon can
    By Koopz in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 04:15 AM
  5. Tuono Adventure in Montana
    By ForAiur in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 03:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •