Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Flash Tablet 2017 Tuono Adventure

apriliaforum prov-nov HotRod104's Avatar

Open Flash Tablet 2017 Tuono Adventure

I just received my OFT this afternoon and did the initial read of my ECU and then connected the OFT to my PC to the Openflash Manager. After a few minutes of the initial downloading and updates from OpenFlash Performance, I was able to download my ECU file to the Manager and email it to Shiv(with my mods/fuel type). A little bit later he emailed me back with a couple of flash files, the Aprilia Race ECU file and the OFT Stage 2 flash file.

I am picking up my SC Project Oval Race slip on(Titanium) from my dealer tomorrow, so I will do the install and flapper/servo removal as well on Sunday. Weather permitting I will be able to do my first flash/ECU write to the Aprilia race file and then run the OFT Stage 2 flash and give my "seat of the pants" ride and review of the results.

I have to say that this is my first venture with ECU flashing/tuning and at first I was a little intimidated and concerned about the whole thing. After some voiced the potential of "bricking" the ECU during a flash due to voltage drop and the whole "voiding your warranty", it stands to reason why it would evoke these concerns. So far so good, and OFT/ Shiv has been outstanding and very great at responding and answering questions and concerns. I think this kind of effort and innovation only serves to enhance our passion for the Aprilia and riding in general.

Below are a couple of pics of the initial read. It was a little tight fitting the big Battery Charger clamps on the terminals AND getting the OFT alligator clips in there to, but it worked. The image of the dash showing the ECU Disconnect Alarm was during the time when the OFT was hooked up to the ECU. It went away after disconnecting the OFT from the ECU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OFT Initial Read 21.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	344140  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OFT Initial Read 1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	424.0 KB 
ID:	344141  

Attached Images Attached Images  

^^ well done, thanks for taking the trouble to post your experience, as it will help others thru the first timer experience.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum newb
    Will be interested in hearing what you think has got ridden that jerky throttle, engine braking is alot better whole differnet bike the damn thing flys well nearly
    and have to agree Shiv was awsome was alway glad to help and give advise

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod104 View Post
    I just received my OFT this afternoon and did the initial read of my ECU and then connected the OFT to my PC to the Openflash Manager.

I have to say that this is my first venture with ECU flashing/tuning and at first I was a little intimidated and concerned about the whole thing. After the whole "voiding your warranty" concerns.
    So what strategy did you come up with on the warranty issues?
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

apriliaforum expert punisher12b's Avatar
    Did you get the base race map. And then a slipon and full system tune?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    2017 Tuono RR bone stock
    2003 zx6r track bike..
    E46 project
    lifted 6.0 powerstroke

Prior
    2013 Diavel
    2001 Falco. Renegade Undertail CF, Derestricted, Mille Swinger, upgraded shock and big boy spring, wire mod, headlight relay, Intergrated Signals.
    1997 900RR
    1993 F2

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    That guy behind you is huge, or was it Dr. Banner and you just cut him off!?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Is step-by-step video for 2017 Tuono available to demonstrate this process in detail?

Sorry for the delay gents. I work nights and sleep is a unicorns fart... Make what you will of that one.

Couple of quick answers to your questions.
    I have the Stage 2 Tune from OFT for slip on and the race ECU tune for comparison and shizz and giggles.

Since I can reflash my ECU back to bone stock anytime I want, and it really isn't all that difficult to swap out my slip on for stock convection oven/end can and mid pipe if it comes down to that, so be it. Chances are what you take I guess.

As far as a detailed video, I wasn't planning on it since I am by far the least qualified person to offer a how to... More like a how not to muck it up too bad... That being said, I will see what I can do if I can find some spare time. No promises there.

Going to bed before my shift in a few hours. So I will flash my ECU and swap out slip on tomorrow and post up as much as I can after that. Thanks for the interest you guys have shown. I will give as much back as I can.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Keep us posted on your experience... I'm very interested in OFT's tune, but I'd like to hear more before I pull the trigger. I have Aprilia Race map with Akra, and while it does smooth things out and perhaps keeps the engine temp slightly lower, there is nothing exciting about it. In some rev ranges stock map was more thrilling than Race. I'm curious to see what OFT did.

Name:	SCProjectOval1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	344198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCProjectOval2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	344199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCProjectOval3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	344200

Picked up my SC Project Slip on.. Super thrilled with this work of art..! The sheer subtle satin finished looks of it belies the aural sodomy it is about to unleash upon my neighborhood...

apriliaforum expert punisher12b's Avatar
    Video. I am deciding on a can for myself

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    2017 Tuono RR bone stock
    2003 zx6r track bike..
    E46 project
    lifted 6.0 powerstroke

Prior
    2013 Diavel
    2001 Falco. Renegade Undertail CF, Derestricted, Mille Swinger, upgraded shock and big boy spring, wire mod, headlight relay, Intergrated Signals.
    1997 900RR
    1993 F2

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    That guy behind you is huge, or was it Dr. Banner and you just cut him off!?

Well today didn't pan out like I planned, but I was able to swap out the stock can for the SC Project. I didn't have time to do the full removal of the servo and cables today, but I am going to do that as soon as I can.

So this is the first time I fired up the bike with the SC on.... and GEEEEEEZUHS!!! Just sounds like an Angry Beast! The vid sound does not do it any justice!

Name:	OFTFlashManagerUpdateScreen.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	344319

What the Openflash Manager Screen looks like while hooking up to PC. It will auto identify and update before allowing access to the Tablet.

Name:	OFTFlashFileUploadScreenshot1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	344320

Here is the screen once you select the Flash Files that Shiv sends you. You save the files to your PC from his email. Next hit the Folder icon next to the open slot(Numbers 1-5) on the Manager Upload Data screen and then select the Flash File from your PC(the file you saved). Rinse and repeat for each file you want to Upload onto your OFT(I only have the 2, Aprilia Race ECU and the OFT Stage 2).

Name:	OFTFlashFileUploadScreen2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	344322

This is the screen shot of the bottom portion of the Manager Upload Data window where you click to start the upload of the selected files to the OFT. It takes a few minutes but not too much. Once the upload is complete a little window will pop up saying it is complete. You can now disconnect the OFT from your PC and hook it up to the bike ECU to begin the Flash/Write.

Once you hook it up and key the ignition it is super simple to navigate. Select Tuning, then Write, and select the flash file you want. It will take about 10-15 minutes so make sure that you have an alternate power source or battery charger connected to ensure no voltage drop during this process... OR BAD THINGS!!!... the final steps of the write process are a few tablet screen prompted ignition on and confirm and off and confirm (3 each I believe) and then the ECU is now FLASHED!!

***Don't forget to then go to the Diagnostic function and do the Throttle Reset***
    ***If you don't, the "Limp Mode" and Urgent Service Light will pop up***

Name:	OFTApriliaRaceECUFlashFileDashScreenShot.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	344326

As you can see the Aprilia Racing icon is now present on my dash after the ECU flash.

So I am bummed that I was not able to go and give it a proper testing yet... I am going to give it a run through for a day or two so I can give a solid review before I flash the OTS Stage 2. Shiv says this is the real deal Holyfield, so I will see what shakes out and I will update on my thoughts.

I hope this helps anyone and please don't hesitate to shoot me questions!

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you for your time and sharing this with us.

Good right up Mr Rod

Now thats something else for me to think about..........Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast