Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone come from a sport bike background?

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks guys! Great insight from everyone. The Tuono really is brilliant. I dont think there is a better bargain on the market today. I will have to see if I can get a test ride on the Capo and see what happens. I still have my 2006 Speedy 1050 because I didn't have the heart to sell it. Even a decade later that is still one of the best street bikes ever. That might be a winning combo!

Now here is my take on it.

I have been riding sportsbikes since 1994 on road at first and later also on track, have built and are building race-bikes for the fun of it. As I have gotten older(now 44) I have also started to enjoy comfort and longer rides. Last year I got the 2016 Caponord Rally brand new as I wanted a bike with ABS, TC and a reasonable "safe" bike for the road. My take on the Rally is simple, great bike BUT if you come from sportsbikes.......it's slow.....lacks power... Now there are MANY here that will argue with this and I don't blame them but coming from the sportsbikes segment the 125hp/115Nm/238kg(dry) is a hippo. If you can live with a heavier bike, lower power and more cruising get the Rally. Just dont confuse the Rally with an REAL Adventure bike because the groundclearence is not good, the "skidplate" is plastic....the whole bike is more touring than Adventure. Tarmac and regular gravel is ok but other than that and the suspension bottoms out and the bike feels VERY heavy to turn around corners.

The Capo now has about 8800km on it, last 2500 by my wife since she got a license and I needed something closer to the sportsbikes I ride on the track. So what did I find to replace the Rally for me..........a bike with power....."low weight"........electronics..........Adventure..... ...

KTM 1290 Super Adventure R is your answer........I got one this summer and it's f.....g awesome. 160hp/140Nm/217Kg(dry).........EVERYTHING with this bike is better then the Rally, sorry but that's how it is...

I could go on and on but this is an Aprilia forum ;-) Seriously I have both Rally and 1290 now with all my sportbikes so if there is anything you wonder please ask.

/J

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by VR-8 View Post
    Now here is my take on it.

I have been riding sportsbikes since 1994 on road at first and later also on track, have built and are building race-bikes for the fun of it. As I have gotten older(now 44) I have also started to enjoy comfort and longer rides. Last year I got the 2016 Caponord Rally brand new as I wanted a bike with ABS, TC and a reasonable "safe" bike for the road. My take on the Rally is simple, great bike BUT if you come from sportsbikes.......it's slow.....lacks power... Now there are MANY here that will argue with this and I don't blame them but coming from the sportsbikes segment the 125hp/115Nm/238kg(dry) is a hippo. If you can live with a heavier bike, lower power and more cruising get the Rally. Just dont confuse the Rally with an REAL Adventure bike because the groundclearence is not good, the "skidplate" is plastic....the whole bike is more touring than Adventure. Tarmac and regular gravel is ok but other than that and the suspension bottoms out and the bike feels VERY heavy to turn around corners.

The Capo now has about 8800km on it, last 2500 by my wife since she got a license and I needed something closer to the sportsbikes I ride on the track. So what did I find to replace the Rally for me..........a bike with power....."low weight"........electronics..........Adventure..... ...

KTM 1290 Super Adventure R is your answer........I got one this summer and it's f.....g awesome. 160hp/140Nm/217Kg(dry).........EVERYTHING with this bike is better then the Rally, sorry but that's how it is...

I could go on and on but this is an Aprilia forum ;-) Seriously I have both Rally and 1290 now with all my sportbikes so if there is anything you wonder please ask.

/J
    I agree with most of what you say.

However I cannot agree that EVERYTHING about a 1290 SA R is better than a Caponord. COMFORT, especially for two is no where near as good with any KTM adv bike.

I also would say that at the age of 44 I'm sure the KTM is a better bike for you, especially if you want to go off road (I'm not sure why you would buy the Rally over the KTM for that). When you're pushing 60 and only want to sport tour on the road, you might think differently. FWI I tried a KTM1290SA and I was very impressed. Yes it is way more powerful (and expensive) than a Caponord and lighter on its feet. This though translated to poorer straight line stability and the bike felt a lot less secure at speed on a motorway. It also did the infamous shimmy through the bars - hands off at 30 - 40mph and they flap about. The Caponord doesn't do that. All bikes have their faults.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTman View Post

However I cannot agree that EVERYTHING about a 1290 SA R is better than a Caponord. COMFORT, especially for two is no where near as good with any KTM adv bike.

I also would say that at the age of 44 I'm sure the KTM is a better bike for you, especially if you want to go off road (I'm not sure why you would buy the Rally over the KTM for that). When you're pushing 60 and only want to sport tour on the road, you might think differently. FWI I tried a KTM1290SA and I was very impressed. Yes it is way more powerful (and expensive) than a Caponord and lighter on its feet. This though translated to poorer straight line stability and the bike felt a lot less secure at speed on a motorway. It also did the infamous shimmy through the bars - hands off at 30 - 40mph and they flap about. The Caponord doesn't do that. All bikes have their faults.
    I rode a 1290SA before trading my Capo in the for the GS. It was a great bike but the one I rode had the shimmy. This has been reported on several KTM adventure models and most of the fixes seem easy...but yeah you shouldnt have to be fixing these kinds of things.

Ironically I might be owning the very same bike I rode a couple years ago soon if a plan comes together

Quote Originally Posted by RSTman View Post

Try to apply some rearbrake when letting go of the handle bars of the Capo.........it will shimmy you off the road.....mine do that.... For touring i wouldn't pick the R but more the T model, the electronic suspension is very good on the Capo as on the KTM.

/J

You are correct... The Tuono inspires fits of 'arrest worthy' hooliganism! I love mine.

But there's no reason it has to be one or the other... The Capo and the Tuono make for great stablemates!

I've had a long list of bikes ranging from cruisers to hyperbikes. I love the Tuono for it's smile inducing performance. I'm new to the Capo, but I've had ADV tourers before and I'm looking forward to being able to ride more than 300 miles in a day without having back spasms!

apriliaforum newb
    The thing I was most curious about was the active suspension. I'm not a GP star by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to hit a nice twisty road every time I ride. I know the Capo is not going to compare with the Tuono in terms of speed and sporting ability. But I'm curious to hear your opinions on how the Capo handles in the corners. I'd probably never really use it in the true "adventure" sense. I've got the stock RR forks set up nice now and with a new set of Dunlop Q'3s its damn near perfect for my abilities. I thought the Pirellis that came as stock sucked. The more rounded profiles of the Dunlops are awesome. Is the front end on the Capo stiff enough for spirited riding? My GF and I have been test riding some of the new gen Harleys, and while they are pretty and nice riding, the price tag is a def downer. The only bike I've ridden with the active suspension is a BMW R1200RS, again fun bike but about $5K overpriced in my opinion.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff955 View Post
    The thing I was most curious about was the active suspension. I'm not a GP star by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to hit a nice twisty road every time I ride. I know the Capo is not going to compare with the Tuono in terms of speed and sporting ability. But I'm curious to hear your opinions on how the Capo handles in the corners. I'd probably never really use it in the true "adventure" sense. I've got the stock RR forks set up nice now and with a new set of Dunlop Q'3s its damn near perfect for my abilities. I thought the Pirellis that came as stock sucked. The more rounded profiles of the Dunlops are awesome. Is the front end on the Capo stiff enough for spirited riding? My GF and I have been test riding some of the new gen Harleys, and while they are pretty and nice riding, the price tag is a def downer. The only bike I've ridden with the active suspension is a BMW R1200RS, again fun bike but about $5K overpriced in my opinion.
    The front is not the problem and it's the rear that is too softly sprung. I'm talking edge of tyre near peg scraping angles though and it will start wallowing.

I would absolutely not leave it in Auto if you are pushing it that hard. I used to set mine to level 4 and it was better but still a little soft.

apriliaforum expert
    The front is stiff compared to the rear. A bit too stiff IMO. It is a little deceptive though since the front reacts to the bumps and the system modulates the rear damping before the rear wheel gets to the bump, so it feels softer than it is. You can however feel the rear swaying a bit on a fast bumpy bend. I don't ride hard enough to scrape the pegs so it's fine for me. Just keep a steady throttle and line and it sorts itself out without too much drama. If you're over aggressive with the steering / brakes / throttle then the suspension can get a bit flustered.

It has always taken me time to find the sweet spot in terms of riding style for any bike I've owned. I've gelled pretty well with the Caponord now and it seldom disappoints. I know what it's best at and how to get the best from it. It's not a sports bike, it's not particularly happy in prolonged slow moving stop start traffic. But load it up and set off for a decent tour and it excels.

I accept also that a GS or KTM SA are ultimately better handling bikes for more aggressive riding, it all depends what you want. Those bikes also cost a lot more, neither have any Italian style or sound as good as a Caponord. I've looked at a GS and tried some KTM's. But when I look at, listen to, and ride my Capo home I'm mostly glad I still have it, and money still in the bank!

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks guys! This is what I was looking for

apriliaforum expert
    Funny because I never found the front too stiff but goes to show you how different riding styles show up different things. The Capo will handle corners at a medium pace very well but it excels as a tourer and will handle bumpy roads in a nice way.

If you really want something like an upright sportbike I would suggest looking at the S1000XR

What this Capo Rally is delivering for me is riding satisfaction. I enjoy its slimmer build and the lack of perceived bulkiness, the smooth and revvy motor, the sure-footedness. Even with 50+ pounds in its cases and a 225 pound rider this bike always feels very composed and balanced, on bumpy backroads and through curves. There is no squashy or squatty behavior, ever. I'm leaving aDD in AUTO because it gives no reason for complaint. And I don't just come from a sportbike background, but owned machines which had their suspensions professionally tuned.

About the only Capo annoyance is the somewhat dated dash, but I would not trade away the rest of this wonderful package for some TFT gizmo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12