Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone come from a sport bike background?

apriliaforum newb

Anyone come from a sport bike background?

Hey guys,

I currently own a 16' Tuono RR, and while its gods own motorcycle engine, comfy and awesome, it's also trouble!! It just dares you to ride it harder and harder. I usually listen to her give it my all. Which sooner or later will likely land me in some sort of indefensible trouble with the boys in blue. Of course you can obey all the laws on it and it never complains, but your always wanting to hear it just rev to the moon...all the time..

The Caponord Rally speaks to me. It looks cool, seems comfy, everyone on youtube loves it.

I was hoping someone can give me a real world perspective coming from a sporty background to the Capo.

Thanks!!

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I used to have a Fireblade and an early R1. I also had a couple of MV F4's, first the 750 and later the 1000. I loved both although I thought the 1000 was better on the road (more torquey) perhaps the 750 better on the track, but it was close. I found as I got older that covering more than about 50 miles in the saddle and I was struggling especially on twisty roads. The constant acceleration and deceleration played havoc with the bones in my wrists. There are plenty of people still enjoying sports bikes in their 60's and who knows perhaps older still? but I found in my mid 50's it was time to get something with higher bars and I actually had a few Guzzis culminating in a 1200 Sport before I bought my Caponord albeit a TP not a Rally. If you can afford it, I'd keep the Tuono and get a Caponord too, thats what I'm hoping to do although obviously the other way around to you. I'm still new to Caponord ownership myself but its a great bike for real world roads if that makes any sense. With the wide bars, long wheelbase and the big V twin motor its not so good in Urban areas though.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 10-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

apriliaforum expert
    The Caponord was my first bike that wasn't a pure Sportbike and most of these adventure style handle much better than you think. Of course, they still aren't sportbikes and you can only expect so much.

If you are really into sportbike style riding then these types of bikes probably wont satisfy you. If you want to move to something more relaxed but still on the sporty'ish side when you want it then give one a try

apriliaforum newb
    I'm a fan of everything really. I've always had naked bikes, not fully on race reps. I love the relative comfort while having a good dose of performance included. But the Tuono turns it to 11, literally! I had a BMW R Nine T for a bit and it was fun but the suspension was garbage and it wasnt great for longer rides. So I got the Tuono, which is fantastic. Honestly if they made a 750 V-4 I'd probably buy that!

Freda, Coolon.. how do you like the suspension? The Tuono is the most tech advanced bike I've owned and mine just has the basic Sachs. But I have got them set pretty well for my skill set.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff955 View Post
    I'm a fan of everything really. I've always had naked bikes, not fully on race reps. I love the relative comfort while having a good dose of performance included. But the Tuono turns it to 11, literally! I had a BMW R Nine T for a bit and it was fun but the suspension was garbage and it wasnt great for longer rides. So I got the Tuono, which is fantastic. Honestly if they made a 750 V-4 I'd probably buy that!

Freda, Coolon.. how do you like the suspension? The Tuono is the most tech advanced bike I've owned and mine just has the basic Sachs. But I have got them set pretty well for my skill set.
    I traded mine a couple years ago but had my Capo for two years. Suspension was ok but a little soft and would wallow when pushed hard. It handles ok but don't expect anything like your Tuono.

apriliaforum newb
    What do you ride now?

Thanks for the input

apriliaforum newb
    I agree with others ,if possible keep the tuono and get the caponord! I love mine, two up can't be beat for my needs. I push mine pretty hard monthly and have really never had it act squirrelly. I'm blessed with a wife that understands my addiction to twins , so I get to choose what I ride as the mood strikes. I currently have a 2015 capo tp, 2001 rc51, 2003 tlr 1000, and a 2008 tuono. I think my capo is as much fun as the rest for what it is and A LOT more comfy. I have done many 600 mile days on it and not wanted to throw it off the mountain after riding.

apriliaforum expert
    What do you ride now?

Thanks for the input
    I have a 2015 S1000R and a 2016 R1200GS

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Huff i had a diet of sports orientated bikes, i traded my V4T (2012) for a multistrada, an man i love that bike, I've done over 72,000Ks on it. If you want to stick to the Aprilia brand, then the Capo would be a good choice. But there are better bikes out there. I guess it really comes down to what roads you ride. The 1200 Multi's and the Capo are perfect for NZ roads, and like you, the V4 begged to be thrashed. But thats not where the best fun for me was when riding a motorcycle, i yearned for an engine that had character, and the early Multis have that. I think you will really enjoy your transition to the Vtwin upright world again, it opens up so many more roads to travel on, and they are rewarding to ride, even when cruising those windie back roads. I like this cross over style of motorcycle so much, i have 2, both different, both so much fun with out having to break the sound barrier each time you go out. Im taking the Multi out soon for some back road riding, I've been mainly riding the 1290, so its time for a little soul. OH PS, Huff, if you still have that competitive gene when you ride, well i just recently spent 4 days away with 2 Tuono 1100, a BMW S1000RR, and a 1290R, and there are very few roads that the 1290GT couldn't keep up, and its a sports touring bike, a little more sporty than the Capo, but id say the Capo would give sports bikes a run for their money on the less than perfect roads, and you wouldn't be hunting for a gas station after 150Ks, and you would still feel fresh for more miles, good luck in yor choice.
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 10-13-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

apriliaforum expert
    Not ridden a Tuono but I did own a RSV1000 for a couple of years. A Caponord is nothing like a sports bike. All depends on how far you want to ride since it's a lot more comfortable and the fuel range is far better than a V4 Tuono. But If you never want to do any serious touring or carry a passenger any distance (Caponord amazingly good 2-up), I'd keep the Tuono. Sure it's a bit easier to stay out of jail on a Caponord but it's still easy to find yourself on the wrong side of the law, plenty of torque means it picks up speed pretty effortlessly. The handling is decent enough but it's nowhere near as nimble as a sports bike.

Like has been said here before, if you can do it get a Capo and keep the Tuono. I too would like to own both bikes. Having done a bit of research it seems the 2017 Tuono has much better low speed throttle response, perhaps that would make it easier to keep the speed down? KTM1290GT has to be worth look too, just that bit more 'all round' than the Tuono.

A supercharged Kawasaki sport touring machine will debut in a couple weeks. That is one new model release I am especially excited by!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    A supercharged Kawasaki sport touring machine will debut in a couple weeks. That is one new model release I am especially excited by!
    And it looks great! Although this could be a rendering
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR
    2015 S1000RR

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar

The semi active suspension on the Capo is one of the reasons I bought one. I just leave it in Auto mode and let the electonic wizardry get on with it. I think its very impressive.
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by amok View Post
    And it looks great! Although this could be a rendering
    Looks great, like a Futura on steroids. A trad ST. 200hp and 20k, hmm. Do I want it? Of course. Do need it? No. Can I afford it? No. Would I rather have a KTM1290GT? Probably.

Hi there Huff,
    i sold my ‘14 Tuono for a ‘15 Capo. Like you, I was in danger of losing my licence.
    The Tuono was my first bike after a 17 yr hiatus and i didn’t realise how brilliant it was as an all-rounder until I bought the Caponord. The electronics are far superior, its great on the dirt, similar economy except when commuting. If the Tuono had a larger tank and Ohlins suspension and didn’t get so hot in traffic, it would be near perfect.
    The best thing about the Caponord is that I’ve retained my licence, it can do motorway stints at the legal limit, and it doesn’t die of heat exhaustion on summer commutes. Most of the time I wish I still had the Tuono.
    2015 Caponord TP
    2014 Tuono V4R ABS (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast