Thread: Alien Moto textile race suit

apriliaforum Junkie aftriathlete's Avatar

Alien Moto textile race suit

Well ladies and gents, I'm Alien Moto's newest rider! I just placed my order today for a custom fitted non-leather suit and a pair of gloves -- they sell boots as well but I'm currently in a good pair of Sidis that I'm happy with. So I'll report on all aspects of the experience as this develops, including the turn-around time from order placement to delivery here to the US from Sweden. So far, their customer service has been outstanding, and their website is pretty good (alienmoto.se).

I was in the market for a custom suit this year, and someone's post in my other thread about roo suits led me to Alien Moto. Their whole business concept is built on the idea that leather is actually not the best protection available any more for the rider, it's just the cheapest for the manufacturers and the best for their bottom line. Considering I'm not interested any more in making my rocket ship RR faster, I want to spend my money now on protecting myself as best I can so I can partake in this sport/hobby on the weekends and still go home on Sundays and be a dad. I also did not want to mess about with the airbag suits as these are developing and the repacks and servicing that are required, and frankly, a custom fitted airbag suit would be MotoGP expensive at this point considering the off-the-rack suits with the airbag systems are running $2500.

I will not promote a product that I can't stand behind -- if these suits suck, or if I crash and the suit doesn't do it's job, I will absolutely tell it like it is. I don't make any money in this sport -- it's the extreme extreme opposite actually! I'm just in this to try a new product that claims to have a lot to offer in better protection, including all CE Level 2 removable armor that I believe is relatively uncommon (my Arlen Ness suit is all Level 1, that seems to be the standard to deviate from.) And if it really is that good, I will sing their praises.

So more to follow!
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum expert
    Subscribed.

I contacted them earlier in the year about a suit and they were very generous with their offer. I'd have pulled the trigger on a suit if another manufacturer hadn't sent me a box of goodies that will tide me over for now.

Very interested in how these hold up / turn out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    www.thailongly.com
    www.flickr.com/tl2bass
    @TL2Bass (Instagram/Twitter)
    2016 Tuono 1100 RR
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT 1050

Motorcycle.com Contributing Editor / Guest Tester
    www.motorcycle.com

STG Sponsored Rider
    www.sportbiketrackgear.com

apriliaforum expert
    Motoport is my choice for the street but these do look sexier. Do they have higher strength than leather (like Motoport) ?

Cost?
    JD

'01 Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Motoport is my choice for the street but these do look sexier. Do they have higher strength than leather (like Motoport) ?
    They have abrasion testing numbers on their site. I can’t quote it off the top of my head, but the number of abrasion cycles these fabrics can sustain is higher than I think what they called “competition grade” leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by photoRotor View Post
    Cost?
    Off the rack suits are 995 euros and bespoke suits are 1295.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

Found it — it says the competition grade leather lasts 1200-1700 “abrasion cycles” and their SuperFabric lasts 3750.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by aftriathlete View Post
    Found it — it says the competition grade leather lasts 1200-1700 “abrasion cycles” and their SuperFabric lasts 3750.
    That's pretty awesome! Motoport originated in Germany, so it may be a very similar material. If it breathes as well as my Motoport jacket, this would be awesome for a summer track suit. I did a track day early Sept when it was 100F out and I damn near died; I'm pretty fit but heat absolutely destroys me.

Definitely interested in your review.

Off the rack suits are 995 euros and bespoke suits are 1295.

Well, that's in the ballpark of reasonable. Interested to hear your thoughts once you've got it.
    JD

'01 Futura

I crashed twice in a Motoport Kevlar suit, turn two and nine at Mosport, two years apart.

Second crash actually wore a couple of holes in the suit, but is was where there was protection underneath, so no road rash.

I did replace that suit with another.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by MamboItaliono View Post

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MamboItaliono View Post
    Lots of pics here http://www.alienmoto.se/index.html

Update since it’s been a while: I got word from Alien Moto this week that they expect my suit to ship this upcoming week. So all told it looks like it’s gonna be somewhere around 2 months from order placement to shipping, which is not completely unreasonable for custom suit delivery. When I was looking at NJK Leathers at one point I seem to remember they said it was 6-8 weeks. So I should hopefully have my hands on the suit in the next two weeks to give my
    impressions.

It‘s sort of a shame I didn’t have the suit this past weekend for my high-side at Chuck as I feel like it probably would have protected me better than my old off-the-rack suit, and it would have been productive for a lot of interested folks to actually crash test it. but on the other hand if I had gone through a new suit and my Arai helmet this weekend it would have been a VERY expensive weekend and likely would have kept me from making the next race round. So, good and bad.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike

apriliaforum newb

off-the-rack suits with the airbag systems are running $2500.
    Not entirely accurate. You can get the A-stars Missile suit for $1000 and the race airbag is $1150. I went with the GP Pro Suit so my kit totaled $2500 but it's possible to go cheaper. I do wish I could get made to measure kit from A-stars.

Depending on a person's preference, tho, one might choose to prioritize airbags over a custom fit. Especially if his body were close to matching off-the-rack sizing. So in that case, he could save $295 up front (or break even compared to the equivalent Alien off-the-rack suit) and wear the suit with a regular back protector. I did that while waiting for the airbags to come to the US. The suit would be there until the wearer had the opportunity to add on the airbag. Maybe buy the suit this year and the airbag next year? Once you have the airbag, you can get a compatible jacket and move the airbag back and forth giving you even more options.

So far, I've really liked the airbag setup in a suit on the track but I tend to ride in an airbag free jacket on the street. I tried to Ebay my airbag compatible jacket but didn't get any takers. It came down to a fit issue. I'm a 54 suit bc of height but I need a 50 jacket bc of everything else. I made the mistake of buying a jacket in the same size as my suit and it's too big.

Having struggled with fit and being one of those people who doesn't fit off the rack gear very well, thanks for sharing the info on Alien suits. The prices for custom fit suits are crazy low.

Quote Originally Posted by gasgaswin View Post
    Not entirely accurate. You can get the A-stars Missile suit for $1000 and the race airbag is $1150. I went with the GP Pro Suit so my kit totaled $2500 but it's possible to go cheaper. I do wish I could get made to measure kit from A-stars.

Depending on a person's preference, tho, one might choose to prioritize airbags over a custom fit. Especially if his body were close to matching off-the-rack sizing. So in that case, he could save $295 up front (or break even compared to the equivalent Alien off-the-rack suit) and wear the suit with a regular back protector. I did that while waiting for the airbags to come to the US. The suit would be there until the wearer had the opportunity to add on the airbag. Maybe buy the suit this year and the airbag next year? Once you have the airbag, you can get a compatible jacket and move the airbag back and forth giving you even more options.

So far, I've really liked the airbag setup in a suit on the track but I tend to ride in an airbag free jacket on the street. I tried to Ebay my airbag compatible jacket but didn't get any takers. It came down to a fit issue. I'm a 54 suit bc of height but I need a 50 jacket bc of everything else. I made the mistake of buying a jacket in the same size as my suit and it's too big.

Having struggled with fit and being one of those people who doesn't fit off the rack gear very well, thanks for sharing the info on Alien suits. The prices for custom fit suits are crazy low.
    Yeah it seems like the prices on the off-the-rack airbag suits have come down slightly, I think because the companies are offering a couple new offerings as far as tiers of options. Still pricy though, and for me not a great option as I haven’t yet found a suit off the rack that fits me well. My dimensions are pretty extreme, so a size 44 US suit is always tight in my shoulders and thighs but will have 8” of extra waist size to deal with. And based on this last crash I’m glad I’ve gone with a custom fitted suit, of any brand, as I think my elbow especially took a blow it shouldn’t have because the elbow cup didn’t stay in place due to the suit not fitting me very well.
    2016 RSV4 RR Race Bike