Thread: Starting difficulties when warm (not hot)?

Starting difficulties when warm (not hot)?

OK I realize this is mostly an Aprilia forum, but I have both a Caponord and a 2015 MG V7 Special. The Capo has been quirky, but finally got it mostly sorted. The V7 has been pretty stone cold reliable until now. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to this on their V7?:

Saturday I rode about 100 km/60 miles to an event - uneventful ride. Parked the V7 in full sun, it was a hot day 38C per the thermometer. Went back to ride it about 1.5 hours later, but when I started it, it died immediately, and did again on the 2nd attempt. I had to give it a little gas to keep it running. Once warmed up a bit, it was fine. Did the same thing under similar circumstances 2 more times that day, otherwise uneventful ride home. On the way home, stopped for just a couple minutes to down a bottle of water, and it restarted without issue.

Started fine yesterday when cold for an errand a couple miles from the house, and again after the short errand.

Consulted a usually reliable MG forum, and one of the moderator/founders of it replied that parking in the hot sun causes the sensors to overheat and fool the ECU. It makes sense given the circumstance, but seems weird to me that a modern bike, even an Italian one would have such a glaring (no pun intended!) problem.

I'll appreciate input on this! Cheers!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura

Without challenging his credibility I would ask him to substantiate that claim.

What tends to happen I'm told, (We don't have this system in Oz.) is that vapourisation from the hot tank loads up the charcoal canister with fuel if it's left in the sun. When you start it the engine draws thie excess fuel through the recirculatory system causing the machine to run way too rich until the canister is purged. While annoying it shouldn't damage anything.

How to stop it? Delete the charcoal canister system or leave the fuel cap cracked when you park. Me? Knowing what is the likely cause I'd just live with it, even though it would piss me off!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Thanks Pete, your explanation seems more logical. Your sage advice is appreciated as always. I'm thinking to delete the charcoal canister.eventually. I know most folks do that first thing on any bike they buy, but I have never done it as it didn't seem to cause problems. I think I'll try the fuel cap trick first to see if that solves it. I could live with it as well, since it is not damaging anything. I've been riding Italian bikes for years now so I've learned to live with a lot of things .

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    What tends to happen I'm told, (We don't have this system in Oz.) is that vapourisation from the hot tank loads up the charcoal canister with fuel if it's left in the sun. When you start it the engine draws thie excess fuel through the recirculatory system causing the machine to run way too rich until the canister is purged. While annoying it shouldn't damage anything.

How to stop it? Delete the charcoal canister system or leave the fuel cap cracked when you park. Me? Knowing what is the likely cause I'd just live with it, even though it would piss me off!

Pete
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura