Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preliminary Suspension setup on 2017 TF

Quote Originally Posted by JNG View Post
    It is possible that a heavier rear spring may be needed. The OEM spring rate is 0.95 which is said to be “generally good for riders upto 180lbs”.
    Thanks I didn't know what the OEM rate was. On my Triumph I ended up with .97 (9.5N/mm) which was as advised by FTR Suspension UK with Andreani valving, and it works very well. The bike weights are very similar, the Tuono is 209kg and the Triumph 202kg (dry). So I think Harris Performance is right the springs should be Ok for me excepting maybe that the suspension travel is 150mm on the Triumph as opposed to 112 on the Tuono.
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrog View Post
    Thanks I didn't know what the OEM rate was. On my Triumph I ended up with .97 (9.5N/mm) which was as advised by FTR Suspension UK with Andreani valving, and it works very well. The bike weights are very similar, the Tuono is 209kg and the Triumph 202kg (dry). So I think Harris Performance is right the springs should be Ok for me excepting maybe that the suspension travel is 150mm on the Triumph as opposed to 112 on the Tuono.
    Front Travel = 120mm
    Rear Travel = 130mm

Variables like Leverage ratio, wheel travel and load determine the required spring rate for your motorcycle.
    Last edited by JNG; 12-07-2017 at 07:57 PM.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    It is possible that a heavier rear spring may be needed. The OEM spring rate is 0.95 which is said to be “generally good for riders upto 180lbs”. (OEM fork spring rate is 1.05)
    Bigrod said he felt his initial setup felt Poggoie, i think a 1.05nm spring rate may remove some of this effect, 10 mm free sag with 37mm rider, sag, well if more rear preload was dialled in, his free sag would be even less, so i feel the .95kn is too light. 10mm free sag is the barest minimum. it may be ok on the track, but not the road.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Front Travel = 120mm
    Rear Travel = 130mm
    Hmmm I got those specs from the latest 2017 Tuono manual ?

"Front wheel travel - Tuono V4 1100
    Factory
    112 mm (4.41 in)
    Front wheel travel - Tuono V4 1100
    RR
    111 mm (4.37 in)
    Rear shock absorber - Tuono V4
    1100 Factory
    With progressive linkage with APS
    system. Öhlins shock absorber
    with adjustable spring preload
    piggy-back,
    wheelbase,compression damping
    and rebound damping.
    Rear shock absorber - Tuono V4
    1100 RR
    With progressive linkage with APS
    system. Sachs piggy-back shock
    absorber adjustable with spring
    preloading, hydraulic brake
    compression and rebound
    damping.
    Rear wheel travel - Tuono V4 1100
    Factory
    124.1 mm (4.89 in)
    Rear wheel travel - Tuono V4 1100
    RR
    131.6 mm (5.18 in)"

Variables like Leverage ratio, wheel travel and load determine the required spring rate for your motorcycle.
    Agreed but at the end of the day for the average rider such as me, it is the resultant rider and free sag that acts as the check on that decision. However what I have found in the past and I am finding now, is that there are quite wide opinions on just what those ball park numbers should be. Ohlins don't really help because they appear to publish next to nothing of technical details/specifications about their products. Aprilia also don't seem to publish such stuff as the OEM spring rates and what rider weight they designed for etc. The Ohlins app shows that FL 921LH or FL 921EH are the possible front forks but I can't find any details about them at all (haven't looked what are on my bike yet because it is still in the UK)?
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12