Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Factory Heated grips

V represents the voltage drop across the resistance
    This could go on forever. Yes it is the voltage drop across the resistor, in the case of a single resistor it will always, in our case be 12v if that is what is supplied. Put 2 identical resistors in parallel and the effective resistance is halved and 12v is dropped across each one and the current is equal in each. Think of voltage as pressure pushing the current through a restriction, 2 pipes in parallel and the flow has an easier job of it. I don't think heated grips are that simple, or are they?

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbyter View Post
    This could go on forever.
    Yes, it might be simpler if I just buy some thicker gloves.......or should that be thinner gloves
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

Out on KTM this morning and to be honest I don't find the grips any hotter than the Caponord. Fairly thick gloves and grip puppies don't help but certainly not as good as my after market Oxford ones on the FJR.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbyter View Post
    This could go on forever. Yes it is the voltage drop across the resistor, in the case of a single resistor it will always, in our case be 12v if that is what is supplied. Put 2 identical resistors in parallel and the effective resistance is halved and 12v is dropped across each one and the current is equal in each.<snip>
    Forever, as long as your posts are misleading.
    You don't increase heat output by reducing resistance.
    In your example, putting 2 identical resistors in parallel doesn't half the resistance if you only had one to begin with. We have a heated grip on each side. The only way to increase heat output is to increase the resistance within that grip (with parallel circuits).
    Ed
    2015 Travel Pack (since 5/2017)
    2007 Triumph Sprint 1050 ABS (for 3 years)
    1998 Honda VFR800 (for 15 years)
    et. al. (since 1977)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by edk800f1 View Post
    Forever, as long as your posts are misleading.
    You don't increase heat output by reducing resistance.
    In your example, putting 2 identical resistors in parallel doesn't half the resistance if you only had one to begin with. We have a heated grip on each side. The only way to increase heat output is to increase the resistance within that grip (with parallel circuits).
    Correct (I think). There is some confusion here, between the theory of resistors being used to change the supply voltage, and the grips themselves which are of course, also resistors. Personally I'd take the line of least resistance and leave the grips just as they are and kill the thread.

After 3 pages worth of electrical theorems by all and sundry , I think its fair to say there's no easy way to increase the heat output of the standard grips then?

On Saturday morning I rode over 100 freeway miles in a thick, blinding fog with temps in the mid-50s Fahrenheit. Wearing thin-palmed Kushitani racing gloves I toggled back and forth between levels 2 and 3. The latter felt very warm, just this side of being too much.

I strongly prefer wearing race-type gloves for superior feel and dexterity, so these heated grips help keep my hands happy as things get chillier.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    uhhhh, well, increasing the heat output by increasing current could be accomplished by adding parallel circuits, but could also be done by decreasing the resistance of a single circuit. Theoretically, both would work. I don't know how Oxford, Gerbing, et. al. do it.
    Sorry for my misleading.
    Ed
    2015 Travel Pack (since 5/2017)
    2007 Triumph Sprint 1050 ABS (for 3 years)
    1998 Honda VFR800 (for 15 years)
    et. al. (since 1977)

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by edk800f1 View Post
    U don't know how Oxford, Gerbing, et. al. do it.
    Sorry for my misleading.

They use PWM. Resistors are becoming an archaic leftover.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just read on another forum that the Oxford heated grips connectors match the connectors on the Capo wiring loom, so plug straight in??

Maybe they'll be warmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRoo View Post
    Just read on another forum that the Oxford heated grips connectors match the connectors on the Capo wiring loom, so plug straight in??

Maybe they'll be warmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds like a good idea Andy, however I'll leave them as they are. I was planning a ride out today (Sunday) after the lovely weather yesterday, but the rain is hammering down here as I write this, so it will be another day sat in the garage for my Capo today. Ricardo's Kushitani gloves sound like a great idea. I know those bad boys aren't cheap to buy, but when were quality items ever cheap?

I know we've ragged this subject to death now, but I went out on the bike the other day wearing thin gloves and on the hottest setting the grips really didn't get that warm, let alone hot. Especially the left (clutch side) one. I'm now wondering if they are faulty? They are working so obviously power is getting through to the grips, but I'm sure they should be warmer than they are.

On my Gold Wing I had great Heated Grips. Thin gloves on High was too hot but froze on the back of the hands . With heavy gloves the heat didn't make it through. Medium gloves were great on the grip side but froze on the back of the hands. I finely came to the decision the heavy gloves worked best all the way around and forget Heated Grips. Electric gloves do work well. My wife used them with a electric jacket under her coat. The Aprilia has plenty of power for all also.
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

Heated grips are a relatively new thing to me. In the past I've used a Widder electric vest to keep my core warm and just wore warmer gloves (or snowmobile liners inside race gloves). This worked very well for years and without much trouble from cold hands. I definitely think heated grips are not a replacement for the e-vest worn under a good jacket. If heated grips delay your recognition of dropping core temperature they could even be a negative thing.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    I know we've ragged this subject to death now, but I went out on the bike the other day wearing thin gloves and on the hottest setting the grips really didn't get that warm, let alone hot. Especially the left (clutch side) one. I'm now wondering if they are faulty? They are working so obviously power is getting through to the grips, but I'm sure they should be warmer than they are.
    I was out for over an hour this morning in temps between 3 an 4 degrees C. The grips were on 3 most of the time and they were warm enough for me - and that's through Grip Puppies and winter gloves. I wouldn't say they were 'hot' to be honest, although when I've worn thin gloves on chilly rides I've found settings 1 and 2 to be more than adequate, and a risk of burns on 3 !

So maybe yours are faulty and need checking out by a dealer ?.... or just replace them with some Oxfords ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast