Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory Heated grips

apriliaforum Member coolonthecoast's Avatar

Factory Heated grips

I was wondering if anyone has tried to increase the temp of the settings by changing the resistances which I assume control the 3 settings available? The output on settings 2 and 3 are at best OK, but setting 1 is virtually useless, at least on my bike it is! The aftermarket Oxford heated grips I had on my Guzzi were much better in terms of heat output and as the Caponord has a healthy alternator output, an increase in power usage through the grips shouldn't cause to many problems I would have thought.
    1200 Capo Travel Pack and a '85 Honda VF1000RF.

apriliaforum newb
    Just had the factory ones installed at dealer last week. Something must be wrong with yours or mine. On mine at 52 degrees on 1 they were comfy after about ten minutes with leather gloves on. Level 2 was actually pretty toasty for that temp and 3 was downright HOT. These are just my experience so far, seem to be more evenly heated than my 2014 concours with factory heated grips.

That's a bit worrying. As I mentioned they do work but I don't think they are all that good. I wear thin (nish) gloves too, as the handlebar guards do a great job of keeping most of the airflow off your digits, so ironically the heated grips don't have to be as effective as perhaps they might. What are other owners impressions of the factory heated grips? Perhaps there is a fault with mine.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    That's a bit worrying. As I mentioned they do work but I don't think they are all that good. I wear thin (nish) gloves too, as the handlebar guards do a great job of keeping most of the airflow off your digits, so ironically the heated grips don't have to be as effective as perhaps they might. What are other owners impressions of the factory heated grips? Perhaps there is a fault with mine.
    I remember 3 being quite hot and almost never used it but it doesn't get as cold here.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My factory grips are just OK. I find them much less effective than others that I have used. As Cool says, level 1 really is unnoticeable, 2 is warm and 3 is pretty warm. I generally have them off or on 3. And many a time I've wished for a nice hot level 4

Mine aren't all that hot at all, I've been using them daily
    2016 Aprilia Caponord Rally
    2002 BMW F650GS
    1972 Yamaha LS2
    2001 Honda RC51 (race bike)
    2010 Ninja 250R (race bike)

in Edmonton Alberta

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I've used these on other bikes (plastic switch version) and they've worked pretty well, FYI.

https://shop.revzilla.com/motorcycle...n-heated-grips

Quote Originally Posted by dbro View Post
    And many a time I've wished for a nice hot level 4
    That's exactly how I feel dbro, a setting 4 would be great! I'm not a fan of having to reset them everytime you switch on the ignition either. But having said all that I'm pleased to have them, with our very unpredictable* climate in the UK (*read wet guys!) I use them virtually every time I go out on the bike.

apriliaforum Member
    Mine take a while to warm up but I find 3 usually gets as hot as I want, even through 'Grip Puppies'.
    Once warmed up on 3 I usually turn them down to 2 or 1.
    A level 4 would still be nice though.
    They're definitely better than the OE Triumph ones, but not as good as Oxfords.

As per my original qu. does anyone know if they can be tweaked to up the wattage through the grips?

apriliaforum Member
    It would be nice to tweak them higher. I just installed mine last week and they weren’t very hot even on 3 was my opinion. I was not happy with how sloppy the fit over the handlebars were compared with the stock throttle grip. Felt like a loose rattly pos throttle grip. It’s a little better after I tightened up the slack in the cables but I am not impressed with the quality from genuine Aprilia parts.

apriliaforum Junkie Chris Courtenay's Avatar
    I never use mine above 1 or my hands overheat
    Owned 2003 Mille 2006 Tuono 2013 Tuono 2013 Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Courtenay View Post
    I never use mine above 1 or my hands overheat
    It sounds like you don't really need them then?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but I don't see how this would be done. The wattage is simply a function of resistance and voltage.
    You can't increase the resistance at the grip itself.
    You could increase the voltage, but that would take some type of transformer. Not a simple endeavor, and would have its own inefficiency and resultant greater current draw, perhaps more than the original circuit is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    As per my original qu. does anyone know if they can be tweaked to up the wattage through the grips?
    Ed
    2015 Travel Pack (since 5/2017)
    2007 Triumph Sprint 1050 ABS (for 3 years)
    1998 Honda VFR800 (for 15 years)
    et. al. (since 1977)

Quote Originally Posted by edk800f1 View Post
    I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but I don't see how this would be done. The wattage is simply a function of resistance and voltage.
    You can't increase the resistance at the grip itself.
    You could increase the voltage, but that would take some type of transformer. Not a simple endeavor, and would have its own inefficiency and resultant greater current draw, perhaps more than the original circuit is capable of.
    The wattage or heat output at the grips equates to the Voltage multiplied by the current. So 12 volts x say 10 amps will give a wattage of 120w.
    As the voltage and the current are more or less fixed (the voltage will vary slightly between 12 - 14 v) So the existing system will work by switching between 3 different resistances to obtain the 3 heat settings. As the voltage is fairly stable and the current draw will be a fixed value too, the heat is increased at the grips by varying the resistance which changes the heat settings not the Volts or the Amps. So if you can change the resistance values available you could increase or reduce the heat output of the grips.
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 10-11-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast