Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New 125 Tuono?

the Rancid Mutton Soup Stand-Magnolia, TX

A New 125 Tuono?

http://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/...ono/tuono-125/

Not my cup of tea but a lot of folks have been clamoring for a small bike...
    Former Rides
    Yamaha TD-1
    Kawasaki 500 Mach III
    Yamaha 400 MX
    Suzuki X-6

Hesitation Kills...Cole Coonce
    "Why does trouble always start with fun?"

apriliaforum newb
    I understand it will be good for youngsters. Looks cool anyway

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    As stated for the billionth time, I SO WISH THE RS4 AND TUONO 125 WERE SOLD IN THE USA.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Smuggle one in and TURBOCHARGE IT!

apriliaforum Junkie ResetTheConsole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    As stated for the billionth time, I SO WISH THE RS4 AND TUONO 125 WERE SOLD IN THE USA.

O: O: O:

This would do great with the growing small bore segment in the US.

I do not think it would do GREAT but between the RS4 and Tuono 125 at least Aprilia would have an entry level offering. When the RS50 was sold here we basically could not get them fast enough, it was priced right.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Anything that will attract younger riders to two wheels is a good thing.

apriliaforum Member
    How are these priced compared to a Grom, I wonder? If it were within a reasonable margin of the Honda, I'd likely buy one.

They ought to fix the link for the 'Technical Specifications' though - at the moment it links to the specs for the Tuono V4, not the 125.

Not that is really matters to the powers that be but, how many of you would be interested in an RS4 or Tuono 125? Various aftermarket companies make big bore kits for them so they do not have to be totally lame, the 180cc kits look fun enough to me for go-kart track type racing or urban street riding. I am guessing I am the oddball but I love riding the smaller bikes more than the bigger ones with the exception of longer trips? What price point seems realistic? I am thinking they would sell well in the $3999-5499 range? Just a question as the missed opportunity here has always bothered me.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Used to be sunny Durham, now dull and rainy Midlands, England
    Can't comment for the USA, but the problem here is that, being restricted to 12 bhp for learner bikes, they're sooooo boring to ride, the kids who have them thrash them senseless out of frustration and can't wait to get rid of them once they pass a test.

At least in my day, riding a +30 bhp, 2 stroke 250, as a "learner" rider, was a bit of fun and not usually boring.

But, isn't the USA the land of "bigger is better" - I notice that type of mentality all the time when I'm over there (up to about 4 months a year) - I can't see small bikes being successful, except in very small market areas (maybe urban/semi urban).
    Cheers,

"I am a selfish, self-righteous tosser", a "fucking loser" and now an "absolute fucking idiot"

Me - '03 RSV Mille, '89 FJ 1200 x 2, & '75 TL 125 & Schweizer S300 CBi Helicopter
    Wife - '01 FZ1 (Fazer 1000), '86 VF 750 Interceptor and '07 CRF 230F
    Kids - '03 Fazer 600, GY 125 and CRF 100 off roaders, '10 Reiju RS2 50 Matrix Pro

You'd think that, but I think that the grom has been a huge success and showed that there can be a market for small bikes. There has also been a resurgence of all the big names importing small displacement bikes here. Not too many years ago, 5-8 maybe, Kawasaki had the only 250cc bike of the major brands with the EX250. Kawasaki and Suzuki shared marketplace for the next level "small displacement" with the EX500 and GS500. Now there are offerings from Honda and Yamaha as well, and the small bikes don't look like they are just leftover parts thrown together.

The skyrocketing prices of both cars and large displacement bikes likely has had a huge hand in that. A decade ago you were looking at maybe $6-7k for an R6 adn $10k for an R1. Now it's $12k and $15k, and you can debate which kidney you'd like to do without to pay for the insurance. For the younger kids especially, small displacement bikes provide somewhat affordable transportation that still looks cool and gives off that rebel vibe in the US culture.

At least that's my take on it.

Getting younger riders onto bikes would be a HUGE help to the USA motorcycle market in general, many are rightfully intimidated by modern sportbikes or, if they are not from money, they are quite simply priced out of the market by purchase price plus INSURANCE which can be basically double the payment price on the bike. Bikes cheap enough to buy on credit card + some cash and insure for a few hundred dollars a year are what many potential new riders need to get their attention. The average V4 Aprilia sells to a 50+ year old rider here in the USA, the number sold to 20-somethings is almost inconsequential and pricing on the Aprilia bikes is in line with current ACTUAL out the door pricing on most Japanese bikes in the premium sport category. Since the vast majority of Americans live in urban environments where high top speeds are not really required I think the 125-500cc segment has the best potential to bring in new riders or just to give some of older fuckers a fun option for running to lunch on.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

A New 125 Tuono?

MSRP on the '07 R6 was $9299.00. Dealer near me is selling '18s for $12,199.00 and '17s for $10,699.00. I've seen year old or late year R6s for about $10,000.00 each of the last few years.

Anyway prices haven't changed that much on the 600s.

There is place in Harbor City advertising '17s for $8,990.00. Blow out for less than MSRP from 10 years ago.
    Last edited by ejv; 12-01-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Used to be sunny Durham, now dull and rainy Midlands, England
    I remember when Yamaha launched the FZ1 in the UK in 2001 and it's selling price was listed at over 9,000 - can you imagine that - 16 years ago, an all-rounder being priced at what was then I think around $16,500 - no wonder it was sales flop here until they got sensible about the price and dropped it by a couple of thousand.

We also bought our son a new 50cc moped in 2010, to help him get mobile and get some road-smarts. It cost 2,500 back then (around $4,000). The only way a young person can get mobile here, without buying another tear-always cast-off, is if their parents finance it, or they are lucky enough at 16 to get a decent (not minimum wage) job. At 2 yrs old with 6,000 miles on it, the dealer we bought it from offered us less than 1,000 in part exchange against a new 600cc bike - needless to say, we didn't buy from them !!!

Kids really have no chance theses days, without financially supportive parents and that's even before we talk about insurance!! - just my opinion though.

Biking is screwed here for the future unless things change
    Cheers,

"I am a selfish, self-righteous tosser", a "fucking loser" and now an "absolute fucking idiot"

Me - '03 RSV Mille, '89 FJ 1200 x 2, & '75 TL 125 & Schweizer S300 CBi Helicopter
    Wife - '01 FZ1 (Fazer 1000), '86 VF 750 Interceptor and '07 CRF 230F
    Kids - '03 Fazer 600, GY 125 and CRF 100 off roaders, '10 Reiju RS2 50 Matrix Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast