Thread: 1997 guzzi centauro

apriliaforum prov-nov

1997 guzzi centauro

Can any one tell me the BEST solution for the centauro's known oil pump problem? I've heard various fixes, but would like forum member's opinions. Thanks.

If I had one I'd swap to a late model Tonti oil pump and chain and sprockets for the timing primary using a Valtech type blade tensioner.

The biggest issue with the 'Bearingless' pumps is that they weren't made very well and the driveshaft clearance is almost universally too large. This means that under load the shaft cants to one side mis aligning the gear and imposing stresses it was never designed to take so they shatter. It probably isn't helped by the fact that Todero chose to use some weird, arcane, tooth form that nobody else had used since before WWII! Probably because there were some old Hobbes lying around in a box somewhere in the back of the factory!

While going to a chain somewhat detracts from the engineering purity of the motor, (It is after all essentially a 1950's race motor!) the fact that the cams are fully vernierable means that you can compensate for minor changes and inaccuracy in the primary system as long as the chain is well tensioned and the Valtech tensioners will do that.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the advice, Pat

Oh, if you wish to change the pump and stick with gear drive there is a bloke in the UK called Joe Carruso (Sp?) I think who makes batches of beautiful steel gears from time to time. They are beautiful, but very expensive! I can't state strongly enough though my dislike of aftermarket alloy timing gears. I've been pulling these bits of shit out of motors, usually when having to rebuild them after gear failure, for thirty years! Don't be tempted!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    joe.Caruso@ntlworld.com A friend in CA has a Centauro, from new. Doddling through town he thought he heard a misfire. The oil press. light lit and the engine went bang. The front crank journal was shot (welded and re-ground, the crank throw as well. Plus 2 con rods). Do to the mess made inside the block he donated it to his mechanic and bought a lightly used replacement. My friend sent pictures! He also defined, somewhat, the typical mileage when you are at risk. I was getting closer to that magic moment when all goes in the ******* w/ no early warning and didn't know better. I've a 93 Daytona. My friend passed on Caruso's solution and I lined up with a few others, to get in on the next run of parts.

The fix is replacing all the gears in the nose of the engine, including the entire oil pump with parts beautifully machined from steel. Yes it's costly, for parts and iirc ~10 hrs. of labor. I'm hugely lucky my friend warned me, including a way out, but also that one of our local Gaggle, in New England, is a terrific MC mechanic and owns 3 Centauro's; All with high mileage. He has a significant stack of aluminum timing gears. All of them have erosion on the teeth. He believes he has found a pattern in the erosion based on power pulses. I could see what he explained after carefully studying the gears. Good luck. IIRC waiting beyond 25K miles is damned scary. Certainly in my view. Think non-clearance engines and putting off timing belt replacement. Audi's come to mind. Good fortune, R3~