Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RideSmart / CotA

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_abhishek View Post
    Howdy! I am one of the instructors at Ridesmart. Technically if its your first time with RS, you are NOT supposed to register in L3 until you have been evaluated by one of the instructors for your safety and everyone else for obvious reasons. Having said that, I am well aware of the fact that there are always folks who bypass it. Mind you that we always have "controlled riders" in L3 who keep an eye for riders who are not running at L3 phase. If you decide to run L3 before you learn the track and get pulled out by one of these controlled riders, you risk having to spend the rest of the weekend in L2. If you ask me, you are better off spending the first half or less of the Sat in L2. Once you think you are at pace, ask one of the instructors if you are ready to move to L3. If and when you are ready, you are good to go have fun in L3 for the rest of the weekend. Heck if it helps, just grab me when you are ready to be evaluated and I would be glad to bump you up if you are on it.
    Again, end of the day...its your call mate. You would be making a long drive to have fun with us here at CoTA. We WANT you to have fun, hopefully come back in the future..Think about it and let me know...if you have any any questions or need help with anything. I look forward to meeting you at CoTA

Second, someone made a comment about RS going through the same damn material again and again in the class...Puff...Trust me, we hate it too As a matter of fact, before the start of every season we always tell Dave(RS owner) we have to change that...move more towards "video based feedback", more use of Gopros etc etc instead of boring slide deck yawning sessions...Unfortunately, Dave hates change as some might already know. I still dream of one of these days Dave will agree to our wishes lol..
    Thanks for the info, kb_abhishek. I already registered for L3, but per a recommendation here I was thinking about running with L2 (round robin?) during the first few sessions to get my bearings and identify markers. I'm not sure if that means I'll need to be evaluated to actually ride in L3 (sounds like it), but I appreciate your offer and I'll try to look out for you so we can talk. I ride an all black track only Factory, so I should be easy to find.

For what it's worth, I used the PS3 to prepare for Laguna earlier this year and had no issues running with the A group even while learning the track. I'm doing the same for CotA, so I'm hoping that I can get up to speed quickly, despite it being a long, fast and technical track. I do want to respect the rules of the organization, but I also want to ensure that my learning experience is not hindered by more stringent rules in L2. It's hard to find the fast line when you're stuck behind someone that can't trail brake to save their life.

I did my first COTA with RS about 3 years ago. Like you, I've been riding L3 at other circuits for many years and hold a CMRA (novice) race license.

COTA has some interesting lines that will not be totally obvious as you are trying to learn the track, especially if you are in the fast group where you'll probably be a bit of a moving road block.

RS puts a lot of rage 'X's on the track to help with turn in points and apexes. These help immensely and it's cool to see the MotoGP guys pretty much run the same lines as the RS markers instruct.

On my first day, I did L2A as that was all that was available and the event was sold out in all groups. As you mentioned, the track is large so it accommodates a lot of riders although you will find a bit of bunching up in a few areas in the L2 groups, but even on my Tuono I found I could clear these bunches of riders in many places of the track.

I would do two or three sessions in L2A with the plan to move to L3 after lunch.

I also think it's worth it to rent a garage space, you'll get plenty of room for a bike,chairs, cooler and easy access to power for sure warmers. Plus every garage has its own bathroom.
    Last edited by ChrisE; 10-12-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

apriliaforum expert

RideSmart / CotA

L2 is good. I don't mind it at all. I just wish I could skip a few of the classes. Im always able to find open track in 2A.
    I'm hoping to make it out there in November. This year has been shit. Haven't hit the track at all so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snikwad; 10-13-2017 at 06:01 AM.

At the warmer events, I quite like riding L2. I go up to the classroom area, grab a complimentary bottle of water, find an air conditioning vent and sit directly below it and cool off.
    Currently in my garage
    --------------------------
    '15 Ducati Panigale 1299S
    '15 Ducati Multistrada S (White)
    '12 Aprilia Tuono APRC (Yellow)
    '98 Yamaha R1
    '93 Bimota Db2
    '75 Honda CB400F

My Sons bikes
    '07 Ducati 1098S
    '08 KTM 250 XCW
    '05 Honda 650XR

apriliaforum prov-nov
    RS is a good org. I'll be there Thanksgiving weekend as well. Say hi if you're able.
    2017 RSV4RR

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Howdy! I am one of the instructors at Ridesmart. Technically if its your first time with RS, you are NOT supposed to register in L3 until you have been evaluated by one of the instructors for your safety and everyone else for obvious reasons. Having said that, I am well aware of the fact that there are always folks who bypass it. Mind you that we always have "controlled riders" in L3 who keep an eye for riders who are not running at L3 phase. If you decide to run L3 before you learn the track and get pulled out by one of these controlled riders, you risk having to spend the rest of the weekend in L2. If you ask me, you are better off spending the first half or less of the Sat in L2. Once you think you are at pace, ask one of the instructors if you are ready to move to L3. If and when you are ready, you are good to go have fun in L3 for the rest of the weekend. Heck if it helps, just grab me when you are ready to be evaluated and I would be glad to bump you up if you are on it.
    Again, end of the day...its your call mate. You would be making a long drive to have fun with us here at CoTA. We WANT you to have fun, hopefully come back in the future..Think about it and let me know...if you have any any questions or need help with anything. I look forward to meeting you at CoTA

Second, someone made a comment about RS going through the same damn material again and again in the class...Puff...Trust me, we hate it too As a matter of fact, before the start of every season we always tell Dave(RS owner) we have to change that...move more towards "video based feedback", more use of Gopros etc etc instead of boring slide deck yawning sessions...Unfortunately, Dave hates change as some might already know. I still dream of one of these days Dave will agree to our wishes lol..
    Cool...nice to meet you.

Good old Dave. He and I have been talking a lot lately on some cross-promoting opportunities (I'm with Sammy's Sports Grill). I may be helping you guys produce some of the video-based material you speak of...so keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    Nick
    2017 RSV4RR

apriliaforum expert
    I wanted to post a quick update on this thread for others that might be riding with RideSmart in the future. Overall I would say that it was a well run event with good staff and CotA is an amazing facility. The only improvement I would recommend is to have a more serious approach to the initial riders meeting, or if it's more serious in the classroom setting, make the L3 meeting more formal (it was a joke). Flags were not mentioned beyond getting black flagged for running off. Passing conditions under caution, red flags, etc, are fairly consistent at all tracks, but I believe it's important to be very deliberate and remove any ambiguity before anyone gets on track so we all know the rules.

As recommended here I rode the "round robin" session with 2A the first time I went out on track. I would have enjoyed it more had I chosen to ride at the back of the group but I went out right behind the coach and we tip toed around as tires came up to temperature during my turn, which was also our out lap on a cold morning. My tires cooled off waiting to go out and not working them once we did end up on track. I did "yoyo" a bit at the back to learn the lines a bit more and that helped, but the pace was very slow.

After the round robin session I went straight into level 3 and didn't look back. Based on my abilities and experience L3 was definitely correct for me. Passing was fine for the most part, however several of the more aggressive riders were talked to by the staff to keep things under control. I was not one of those riders. No crashes in L3 on day one, but the last session was ruined by a crash and I believe a Ducati going pop at the end of the back straight on day two. Track time was adequate, however, the one hour break caused by four groups sharing the track was a bit more than I'm used to, but I rode flag to flag every 20 minute session to make up for it.

I found that being first in line, or near it, is the best way to ensure clear track time. The super fast guys will always come through, but if you're quick, you can stay ahead of the slower riders, then pick them off if you end up lapping them. There are some very wealthy participants with some very nice and fast bikes (Suter Moto2 bike, Superleggeras, HP4 Race, etc) there, so there was a lot to take in. Overall I would highly recommend the track and organization. I plan to return in the near future.

Oh, and the dash says my top speed was 170. What a blast!

apriliaforum expert
    It's been so long I've forgotten. L3 is the "fast" group right?
    Why would they mention flags. The assumption is if you're in L3. You know your flags.

apriliaforum expert
    Because not all tracks and organizations use the same flags for everything or have the same expectations when a flag comes out. Call me OCD but Id rather that be called out than assume. Id never ridden with RideSmart or at that track so I had no prior experience to draw from other than the obvious stuff. It was a minor nitpick on an overall good experience. My local track does a good riders meeting due to some serious accidents over the years and Ive grown to appreciate them.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by irix View Post
    Because not all tracks and organizations use the same flags for everything or have the same expectations when a flag comes out. Call me OCD but Id rather that be called out than assume. Id never ridden with RideSmart or at that track so I had no prior experience to draw from other than the obvious stuff. It was a minor nitpick on an overall good experience. My local track does a good riders meeting due to some serious accidents over the years and Ive grown to appreciate them.
    Yeah, but only a few flag really change meaning. Oil on track. Debris on track.
    The basic and main ones are always the same.

apriliaforum prov-nov kb_abhishek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irix View Post
    Because not all tracks and organizations use the same flags for everything or have the same expectations when a flag comes out. Call me OCD but I’d rather that be called out than assume. I’d never ridden with RideSmart or at that track so I had no prior experience to draw from other than the obvious stuff. It was a minor nitpick on an overall good experience. My local track does a good riders meeting due to some serious accidents over the years and I’ve grown to appreciate them.
    Hey bud,
    I had just flew in from the other side of the world (10hrs before we lined up for round robin to be exact!) and was definitely struggling out there to manage my damn jet leg By 1-2PM, my body was totally wasted and was begging to go to sleep lol..That aside..Its always great to be on the track

It was great to see you out there. Glad you enjoyed the experience. I will pass on the feedback to Dave and other instructors. We look forward to seeing you again next year.
    Track : 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC SE
    Street : 2014 Ducati Hypermotard SP

Previous:
    2010 Yamaha FZ1 - Sold (Good times)
    2006 Suzuki GSXR1000(Track)-->Why did I sell it? looser
    2010 Honda CBR1000RR(Track)--> Its ok..lets move on
    2004 Honda CBR600(Track)-->hated it
    2006 Yamaha R6(Track)-->Holy mother of sweet Jesus! Loved it!
    2008 Yamaha R6(Street)-->RIP I hate deers.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6(Street)-->what was I thinking!?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
    Yeah, but only a few flag really change meaning. Oil on track. Debris on track.
    The basic and main ones are always the same.
    Yes, I understand that, and that's why it wasn't a massive problem and just a minor gripe. I also understand that I was in L3 where the expectations are that everyone knows the rules, so some of this is on the individual to know. I choose to attend all rider's meetings, optional or not, for such information. Chuckwalla, Laguna, my local track, all go through these things prior to getting on the track. If you have been to the rider's meeting at least once at that track, it becomes optional.

I suspect that there's a "gap" that someone like me can find when they don't attend the usual schools for L1, L2B and L3A with RideSmart, which is where I'm sure they drill this stuff into you. It might make more sense to simply ask if any new riders are in L3, and if so do a quick run down on specifics for that track.

The main reason I even mentioned this is that I'm not sure everyone knew what the blue flags were for, because nobody moved when they came out.

apriliaforum expert
    Hey bud,
    I had just flew in from the other side of the world (10hrs before we lined up for round robin to be exact!) and was definitely struggling out there to manage my damn jet leg By 1-2PM, my body was totally wasted and was begging to go to sleep lol..That aside..Its always great to be on the track

It was great to see you out there. Glad you enjoyed the experience. I will pass on the feedback to Dave and other instructors. We look forward to seeing you again next year.
    Thanks, it was good to see you on the pre-grid before the L2A round robin, however, I was surprised you were on a ZX10 and not the RSV4! I can't imagine riding at those speeds with jet lag, certainly not on an unfamiliar bike. I appreciate the tips/advice you gave me prior to the event, they were very helpful and we had a great time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12