Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RideSmart / CotA

apriliaforum expert

RideSmart / CotA

With weather and work interfering with my late summer riding locally, I'm thinking about heading down south to CotA for the RideSmart event over Thanksgiving weekend. I've read almost everything I can find of relevance on their site and think I understand their org fairly well. I'm not a licensed racer but I'm experienced and have ridden with "fast" and "A" groups, so my hope is that I can participate in L3 and skip all of the classroom stuff.

I know several folks here have been down to CotA, and some have ridden with RideSmart. Is there anything I should be aware of with this organization or the track in general? Does Austin get much rain at the end of November? The temperature averages and humidity seem to indicate weather should be nice.

Any insight, advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

You will get good info in the 2A class room to help you learn the line. Round Robin in the first session. You could sign up for L3 and try to start in 2A if there is room. Dave Wonders is the owner and will work with his customers. Weather is usually good.
    2000 Speed Triple
    2006 Daytona 675
    2007 Speed Triple SE
    2016 RSV4 RR

Nate Kern will be there Oct 29&30, they are a little less demanding on the class room attendance.
    2000 Speed Triple
    2006 Daytona 675
    2007 Speed Triple SE
    2016 RSV4 RR

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks, that helps. I think I can learn the line pretty quick and plan to practice on the PS3 before heading down, but it does sound like I'll have to sign up and sorta see what happens. I don't deal with uncertainty very well.

Edit: just watched a video and know what round robin is now. This organization does seem quite structured.. I suppose that keeps things safe and that's the point.
    Last edited by irix; 09-30-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Could be 95, could be 45. Weather between mid-October to April is a crap shoot. Be prepared for all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Pete

RideSmart / CotA

I found them to be a well run group. One thing I did like in the classes (even though I did think they were a bit overboard), is they have a bunch of overhead shots of each corner and can walk thru the lines pretty well.

Not sure if it was that or what, but I found the track relatively easy to learn.
    2012 RSV4 Factory
    2006 CRF150F
    2006 TTR50 x2 - Indoctrinating my kids into this madness.
    2006 TTR125 (Gone)
    2014 FZ-09 (Gone)
    2007 RSVR Factory (Gone)
    2003 RSV (Gone)
    2004 CBR600F4i (Gone)

apriliaforum expert
    Awesome, thanks for the input fellas, I appreciate it. If I make it down, I'll try to post some info about the experience.

apriliaforum expert
    The classes get old. Seriously. Going up them steps after every session is tiring. Not a bad org tho.
    Pretty well organized.
    COTA has more rules than the average track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
    The classes get old. Seriously. Going up them steps after every session is tiring. Not a bad org tho.
    Pretty well organized.
    COTA has more rules than the average track.

That's exactly why I was hoping to get into L3, as it sounds like class isn't required for that group. I would prefer to be in the pits rehydrating/eating, going over my bike (tires, fuel, etc), and taking notes and analyzing my riding.

Does anyone have experience riding level 3 with RideSmart?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by irix View Post
    That's exactly why I was hoping to get into L3, as it sounds like class isn't required for that group. I would prefer to be in the pits rehydrating/eating, going over my bike (tires, fuel, etc), and taking notes and analyzing my riding.

Truthfully, from my seat, it seems L3 at COTA isn't as fast as L3 at the other tracks. Probably because less racers, who'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by irix View Post

I have been to COTA about 6 times with Ridesmart. If you have done fast group at other tracks you would probably do well in level 3. Actually level 2 can be a little concerning with a big gap in experience - riders trying to move up from 1 and other that think they might be ready for 3. Big difference in ability in that group and sometimes can be unsafe with riders not keeping lines. Have usually felt comfortable passing / being passed in 3 and riders keep their lines. In level 1 and 2 there is no inside passing allowed, once a front rider starts to lean in for a turn you are not allowed to pass on the inside until after the apex, can cause a backup of riders when there are some slower ones. Some areas there is no passing allowed in level 1 and 2, like the S's after turn 2.

apriliaforum newb
    One day.........COTA is definitely on my list of tracks to ride

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks Richd748/snikwad, that's good info. I agree that the price is high, but maybe that will lead to less traffic in L3 and make it a good experience with lots of clear track. Hopefully I can ride my own ride and not have to worry much about coaches or RideSmart employees hounding me. I prefer to look after myself and bike between sessions, and 40 minutes goes fairly quick if something comes up. Really it's more like 20-30 minutes between sessions since it takes time to pit in/out.

I watched some videos on YouTube and L3 seems like the right place for me, and the traffic seems minimal due to the size and layout of the track. Now I just need to commit, plan the logistics, and slap on new Z04s and flush the brakes. Those straights are no joke!

apriliaforum prov-nov kb_abhishek's Avatar
    Howdy! I am one of the instructors at Ridesmart. Technically if its your first time with RS, you are NOT supposed to register in L3 until you have been evaluated by one of the instructors for your safety and everyone else for obvious reasons. Having said that, I am well aware of the fact that there are always folks who bypass it. Mind you that we always have "controlled riders" in L3 who keep an eye for riders who are not running at L3 phase. If you decide to run L3 before you learn the track and get pulled out by one of these controlled riders, you risk having to spend the rest of the weekend in L2. If you ask me, you are better off spending the first half or less of the Sat in L2. Once you think you are at pace, ask one of the instructors if you are ready to move to L3. If and when you are ready, you are good to go have fun in L3 for the rest of the weekend. Heck if it helps, just grab me when you are ready to be evaluated and I would be glad to bump you up if you are on it.
    Again, end of the day...its your call mate. You would be making a long drive to have fun with us here at CoTA. We WANT you to have fun, hopefully come back in the future..Think about it and let me know...if you have any any questions or need help with anything. I look forward to meeting you at CoTA

Second, someone made a comment about RS going through the same damn material again and again in the class...Puff...Trust me, we hate it too As a matter of fact, before the start of every season we always tell Dave(RS owner) we have to change that...move more towards "video based feedback", more use of Gopros etc etc instead of boring slide deck yawning sessions...Unfortunately, Dave hates change as some might already know. I still dream of one of these days Dave will agree to our wishes lol..
    Track : 2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC SE
    Street : 2014 Ducati Hypermotard SP

Previous:
    2010 Yamaha FZ1 - Sold (Good times)
    2006 Suzuki GSXR1000(Track)-->Why did I sell it? looser
    2010 Honda CBR1000RR(Track)--> Its ok..lets move on
    2004 Honda CBR600(Track)-->hated it
    2006 Yamaha R6(Track)-->Holy mother of sweet Jesus! Loved it!
    2008 Yamaha R6(Street)-->RIP I hate deers.
    2006 Yamaha FZ6(Street)-->what was I thinking!?

apriliaforum expert
    Lol. Oh Dave. He's a good dude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast