Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Laguna Seca noise restriction - what do you get away with?

  1. #16
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll give it a go and if I can't pass it, rent an R3 from FLAP so my day isn't wasted.

  2. #17
    apriliaforum Junkie EricD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll give it a go and if I can't pass it, rent an R3 from FLAP so my day isn't wasted.
    Don't forget, "not passing" isn't a black / white issue. You get warnings first, before being told the bike can't go on track anymore. You can adjust accordingly.
    When in doubt, gas it

  3. #18
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    Don't forget, "not passing" isn't a black / white issue. You get warnings first, before being told the bike can't go on track anymore. You can adjust accordingly.
    Yea, just don't know if there is any way I can pass short of turning it off and pushing it up the hill

  4. #19
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    Jut seeing this topic, figured it might be worth clearing up a few things? I rode laguna 8 days this year, have been riding it for a number of years now. I've been there on my stock 2010 Factory, stock 2013 Factory and more recently, the same 2013 Factory with a full akrapovic EVO2 on it (with the baffle). I've also ridden it on my stock 2009 R6 and stock 2016 R1, so I have some experience with noise at that track.

    It's really annoying to have to deal with the noise police, but it's by far my favorite California track and I keep going despite the higher cost and the noise situation. I would love to blast out of 5 going up the hill, but realistically can't anymore. Best way I've found to deal with the issue is to take an odd line through 5, exit really tight and go up the hill on the opposite side of the track, full throttle, but short shifting at ~8k rpm without the quick shifter, to avoid the loud pop.

    Am I "pussyfooting" around, I wouldn't describe it that way since you can still run 1:40s doing so. I would say if you've never ridden laguna seca and you're interested, don't let the noise issue stop you from trying it at least once.

    As a reference, here's how the different bikes I ride deal with sound:
    - Stock 2010, blows the 92 limit
    - Stock 2013, blows the 92 limit
    - 2013 with full akra + baffle, blows the 92 limit
    - Stock 2016 R1, I can go up the hill full throttle, on the right hand side of the track without an issue, on a 90db day
    - Stock 2009 R6, I can go up the hill, full throttle, on the right hand side of the track without an issue on a 90db day

    If any of you plan on riding laguna next year, let us know and we can have an Aprilia bash!
    You just cost me money.

    I've been on the fence about Laguna b/c of the sound. I did a parade lap at a past GP race, the cork screw is simply NUTS.

    Anyways if you pass w/the 13' factory w/Akra (baffel in) then I'm willing to give it a shot next yr.

    Recommend any TD organizers out there?

  5. #20
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by kdehkordi View Post
    You just cost me money.

    I've been on the fence about Laguna b/c of the sound. I did a parade lap at a past GP race, the cork screw is simply NUTS.

    Anyways if you pass w/the 13' factory w/Akra (baffel in) then I'm willing to give it a shot next yr.

    Recommend any TD organizers out there?
    I went with Keigwins last year. Seemed well organized.

  6. #21
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I went with Keigwins last year. Seemed well organized.
    Ha! I was at Buttonwillow yesterday, pitted next to a guy who told me about his Laguna Keigwins experience,,, well I won't get into the specifics but he isn't going back with them anymore.

    To legitimize the cost/distance it would need to be a 2 day'er.

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by kdehkordi View Post
    Ha! I was at Buttonwillow yesterday, pitted next to a guy who told me about his Laguna Keigwins experience,,, well I won't get into the specifics but he isn't going back with them anymore.

    To legitimize the cost/distance it would need to be a 2 day'er.
    Interesting. I didn't have any issues at all but I guess if nothing out of the ordinary happens, it doesn't matter much who you ride with.

    Z2 Trackdays and Trackdaz go to Laguna as well. I think Pacific Track Time does too. Always have to take the complaints with a grain of salt; some people complain about Let's Ride as well but I didn't have any issues with them either. Trackdaz has a pretty good reputation.

    The only one I heard numerous complaints about is so far is Fastrackriders.

  8. #23
    apriliaforum Junkie desmolvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    481
    I have done Keigwins days as well with no complaints. As mentioned you did a Lets Ride day yesterday and they are going to Laguna in July 2018.

  9. #24
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    374
    I didn't mean to throw Keigwins under the bus. I'm sure they're a great organization and well, you can't please everyone.

    But the issue here is noise. Re reading EricD's post, I guess the RSV4 w/full akro will still exceed the noise limit...!?!?

    I read the bit about the lines and not going wfo up the hill and, I'm OK with that. But I don't want to get flagged going 6k rpm.

    thx

  10. #25
    apriliaforum Junkie desmolvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    481
    I know it sounds bad but sound at Laguna can very depending on temperature or wind,if it’s over cast. Also all of that can change during the day as well. They usually only test between 5 & 6 and will say they can move around but I have never known them to do it. Most of the providers allow you to test first thing but again it can very based on above. Keigwins has the contact info for Jay Murray and he builds a guaranteed insert but that is another $150.

  11. #26
    apriliaforum Junkie EricD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    315
    This year alone, I've ridden laguna with Keigwins (5 days), FTD (1 day), Let's ride (1 day) and Z2 (1 day). They both have pros and cons.

    Keigwins seems to polarize people a lot, some love them, some hate them, but I enjoy riding with them a lot. They're also the provider with the best schedule in NorCal and the most days at Laguna. Z2 is lucky to get a shared day with cars (Trackmasters usually) because they're not big enough to get a seat at the table.

    As far as the noise, as I said, shift at 8k rpm and you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to take a weird line to avoid the sound booth just to be on the safe side.

    Let us know when you plan on coming up, chances are I'll be in the pits as well. I just picked up a new 2017 RF and it's getting a full system put on as we speak, can't wait to take it to laguna.
    When in doubt, gas it

  12. #27
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by desmolvr View Post
    Keigwins has the contact info for Jay Murray and he builds a guaranteed insert but that is another $150.
    It's not necessarily "guaranteed". He can reduce the output of my system by about 6db, which would bring it down to 100db WOT. So, closer but not guaranteed to pass.

  13. #28
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    This year alone, I've ridden laguna with Keigwins (5 days), FTD (1 day), Let's ride (1 day) and Z2 (1 day). They both have pros and cons.

    Keigwins seems to polarize people a lot, some love them, some hate them, but I enjoy riding with them a lot. They're also the provider with the best schedule in NorCal and the most days at Laguna. Z2 is lucky to get a shared day with cars (Trackmasters usually) because they're not big enough to get a seat at the table.

    As far as the noise, as I said, shift at 8k rpm and you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to take a weird line to avoid the sound booth just to be on the safe side.

    Let us know when you plan on coming up, chances are I'll be in the pits as well. I just picked up a new 2017 RF and it's getting a full system put on as we speak, can't wait to take it to laguna.
    I'll come up for a 2-day next year and go when Flap is there. In the very worst case, I can rent a bike from them if I keep blowing the sound limit.

  14. #29
    apriliaforum Junkie EricD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    It's not necessarily "guaranteed". He can reduce the output of my system by about 6db, which would bring it down to 100db WOT. So, closer but not guaranteed to pass.
    I myself wouldn't get a Jay Murray insert. I don't know his credentials, but I've seen very 'creative' solutions that make me think your engine can't be happy with them. Things like adding a 'two brothers' R6 shorty at the end of the canister on a Panigale, only on the side of the sound booth. I'm sure it gets you through the sound check, but then again so does rolling off or short shifting, without any potential damage to your engine?

    I was talking to a Keigwins instructor running one of those inserts on his S1000RR and he was casually saying how his can would blow off the link pipe because of back pressure, like it was nothing. I could be wrong, I don't have a degree in fluid mechanic or anything like that, but it just sounds wrong to me.
    When in doubt, gas it

  15. #30
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    I myself wouldn't get a Jay Murray insert. I don't know his credentials, but I've seen very 'creative' solutions that make me think your engine can't be happy with them. Things like adding a 'two brothers' R6 shorty at the end of the canister on a Panigale, only on the side of the sound booth. I'm sure it gets you through the sound check, but then again so does rolling off or short shifting, without any potential damage to your engine?

    I was talking to a Keigwins instructor running one of those inserts on his S1000RR and he was casually saying how his can would blow off the link pipe because of back pressure, like it was nothing. I could be wrong, I don't have a degree in fluid mechanic or anything like that, but it just sounds wrong to me.
    Yikes! I'll pass on that. I could get a different can that is right for this system and get the same effect for just a bit more, so if anything I would do that instead.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Laguna Seca noise restriction.....
    By ANORXIC'51 in forum 2010-2017 RSV4 - All Variants
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 06:30 PM
  2. What do you get if an Swedish guy gets his Tuono pregnant ? :D
    By Micke65 in forum 2012-2017 Tuono V4 - All Variants
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 10:41 PM
  3. How do they get away with it
    By joelyred in forum 2008-2016 Shiver 750 / Dorsoduro 750
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 11:43 PM
  4. Highway mileage? What do you get?
    By johnalex in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •