Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Seca noise restriction - what do you get away with?

apriliaforum expert

Laguna Seca noise restriction - what do you get away with?

I know the sound restriction is 92db and the sound booth is between turns 5 and 6. Just curious what some of you have gotten away with when letting off the gas? At WOT, my R6 track bike is 106db (full sato racing exhaust). A different muffler would bring it down to 100db. An insert just about the same. So, not sure it's really worth spending the $$ for 6db and maybe I could get away with the exhaust as-is if I roll off the throttle?

If any of you have tracked their Ape at Laguna with an akra exhaust, I'm sure it's at least 106db. Could I get away with it or is 14db too much of a difference?

Luciano, the recent intel from others is many STOCK bikes no longer pass the decibel-meter, they have to roll off the throttle or else. Pitiful!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Luciano, the recent intel from others is many STOCK bikes no longer pass the decibel-meter, they have to roll off the throttle or else. Pitiful!
    Yea, my Tuono wouldn't pass stock since it's 100db+ at WOT. Just not sure how much noise reduction you could really expect by rolling off or short shifting? There were definitely a few loud track bikes out there last year that somehow got away with it. Some used these noise deflector pipes but my exhaust is on the right side, which wouldn't really work.

Almost all days at Laguna are now 90db as of the last couple of years. There are many ways to try and avoid getting flagged for sound rolling off, staying to the left side of the track. Also check with the TD provider as some of them only allow 1 strike if you have after market exhaust. I have run my Ape there using stock exhaust and a diverter on the end to direct noise to the left.

apriliaforum expert
    I was there in June on my '14 RSV4 with a full Akrapovic system with the baffle installed. I did not have any issues exceeding the limit, but I did short shift and sorta cruised by the sound booth. I only forgot to do this once, still did not get flagged. Even with that, it was still worth it. The track and facility is amazing, and Keigwins did a good job running the event.

That being said, I did see numerous people get flagged and by the end of the day, the track was empty, especially in the A group. I think this was a combination of others getting flagged, plus the typical end of day thinning that happens as people get tired.

If you want to ride there, be considerate of the rules and don't try to push the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by irix View Post
    If you want to ride there, be considerate of the rules and don't try to push the limits.
    I get what you're saying, but why would I pay a bunch of money to go pussyfoot around? If I want to short shift and take it easy, I'll go ride the blue ridge parkway with all the goldwing riders. I understand the situation there, and your point of view regarding it, but I'd skip it rather than go to the track and not ride hard. Plenty of other tracks around. Yeah, they might not have LS's pedigree, but they also aren't stuck neutering the sport we love.
    I find tinsel very distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBER41 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but why would I pay a bunch of money to go pussyfoot around? If I want to short shift and take it easy, I'll go ride the blue ridge parkway with all the goldwing riders. I understand the situation there, and your point of view regarding it, but I'd skip it rather than go to the track and not ride hard. Plenty of other tracks around. Yeah, they might not have LS's pedigree, but they also aren't stuck neutering the sport we love.
    This is so true.
    For me to get there from Vegas and do a weekend (which would be the way to make the drive worth it) would be at least $1000 for entry, gas, tires etc. So to then get there and not get to fully ride the track sounds lame.

apriliaforum expert
    Definitely annoying. I rented a Ninja 300 last year and I had a good time but it would be nice to take my own track bike and not get passed on the front straight every single time; it got old after a while to "re-pass" the same people every lap.

This is the Highway 68 Coalition at work, a group of whiney and entitled property owners. Once they've got theirs, it's about consolidating influence. For insights into this mindset: http://daviddilworthdesign.com/hiway68/sample-page/

Yes...WOW!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBER41 View Post
    Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think holding back on one short/straight section of track ruined anything for me personally. I would have loved to blast through there every time, and perhaps I could have been more aggressive due to having a baffle installed, but I didn't want to get bounced after having driven 1,300 miles to participate.

I did not, however, "pussy foot" around. The track is highly technical, very challenging, and requires balls to go fast, whether or not you short shift by the sound booth. I'd personally rather sacrifice a small straight than waste my time and money "ripping" around public roads.

apriliaforum expert
    I've decided to pass on Laguna this year; I'll do Buttonwillow instead. Apparently it is 90db now; that's 16db difference. Way too risky; they're going to close down that track if they keep it up. I'm sure there are a lot more people like myself that simply don't go now. My freakin' lawn mower is probably 90db LOL

apriliaforum newb
    A couple times ago, I was on a bone stock R6, and I was popping sound at 92db. Finally fingered it out, the intake off the front was making too much noise.

We had an agreement not to pass between 5 and 6.. and we had a blast! It's pretty easy not to pop sound in most cases, grab an extra gear and roll through 5, take a tight line, you'll probably be fine.

90db is getting lame.. the fricken Harley's driving through the canyon make more racket.

Something oddly anti-motorbike and regressive about that whole area. Nearby 17-Mile Drive prohibits motorcycles of any kind, and a personal fantasy is to pilot a Honda RC166 GP bike with its six open megaphones up and down that road at zero-dark-thirty. Can you hear me now, Monterey Effing County?!? And then there's that oddball Paradise Park Masonic Club on Highway 9 near Santa Cruz. If you end up rolling around in there by accident you'll be sought out by a posse of pod people with blank expressions! No, they are not pointing and waving because they think your Futura is cool or that the girlfriend looked like Sarah Jessica Parker (she did!). Creepy place man.

apriliaforum expert
    LOL!!! I passed on it this year; maybe I'll be back again in the future but BW was a blast; great track and only half the distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BW__5506_Nov0317_CaliPhoto_Web.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	346168  

Jut seeing this topic, figured it might be worth clearing up a few things? I rode laguna 8 days this year, have been riding it for a number of years now. I've been there on my stock 2010 Factory, stock 2013 Factory and more recently, the same 2013 Factory with a full akrapovic EVO2 on it (with the baffle). I've also ridden it on my stock 2009 R6 and stock 2016 R1, so I have some experience with noise at that track.

It's really annoying to have to deal with the noise police, but it's by far my favorite California track and I keep going despite the higher cost and the noise situation. I would love to blast out of 5 going up the hill, but realistically can't anymore. Best way I've found to deal with the issue is to take an odd line through 5, exit really tight and go up the hill on the opposite side of the track, full throttle, but short shifting at ~8k rpm without the quick shifter, to avoid the loud pop.

Am I "pussyfooting" around, I wouldn't describe it that way since you can still run 1:40s doing so. I would say if you've never ridden laguna seca and you're interested, don't let the noise issue stop you from trying it at least once.

As a reference, here's how the different bikes I ride deal with sound:
    - Stock 2010, blows the 92 limit
    - Stock 2013, blows the 92 limit
    - 2013 with full akra + baffle, blows the 92 limit
    - Stock 2016 R1, I can go up the hill full throttle, on the right hand side of the track without an issue, on a 90db day
    - Stock 2009 R6, I can go up the hill, full throttle, on the right hand side of the track without an issue on a 90db day

If any of you plan on riding laguna next year, let us know and we can have an Aprilia bash!
    When in doubt, gas it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast