Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 17 RSV RR

apriliaforum newb

Picked up a 17 RSV RR

I test rode an RSV4 this summer in Austin, the bike is amazing. I opted to get one in August. Instead, I got a 17 R1....not as fun as I thought so I picked up an RSV4 RR last week. I should have gotten the Ape in the 1st place. So much more fun to ride than the R1 and the S1kRR. I'm glad I made the switch!

apriliaforum Member andyandtherman's Avatar
    Congrats! I was debating the R1 M but obviously went with the Aprilia You'll be glad. I sent you a PM

Guess you can't receive PMs. E mail at andy@austinfitnesscenter.com
    Last edited by andyandtherman; 09-26-2017 at 05:26 PM.
    2017 Aprilia RSV4RF. Austin Racing slip on, race ECU, Graves frame sliders, Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator, Motobox mirror block offs/led signals, gutted emissions, RhinoMoto bar end, Rizoma bar end mirror.

I was thinking about the R1 but that ended when I remembered and reconfirmed that the dealers around here won’t let you demo a sport bike (Japanese/ British). Glad I bought an RSV4...

I had a 2015 R1 that was stolen, and then picked up a 16' 60th Anniversary edition. After flashing the ECU, adding an auto-blipper, and slip on exhaust it's a really fun bike. That being said, I also test rode a 17 RR earlier this summer and couldn't believe how much I enjoyed riding it. Picked one up last month and haven't touched the R1 since. Taking them both to Chuckwalla next month to compare track worthiness.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydub727 View Post
    I test rode an RSV4 this summer in Austin, the bike is amazing. I opted to get one in August. Instead, I got a 17 R1....not as fun as I thought so I picked up an RSV4 RR last week. I should have gotten the Ape in the 1st place. So much more fun to ride than the R1 and the S1kRR. I'm glad I made the switch!
    Please elaborate on what names the RSV4 more fun than the R1? I’m on the fence on getting an R1.

apriliaforum expert Proctologist's Avatar
    Did you keep the R1 or traded it on the 17RR?

Today:
    Ducati 1199 Panigale Rosso | Aprilia RSV4-R APRC ABS

Yesterday:
    Ducati 1098 | Suzuki GSX-R1000 | Suzuki GSX-R1100 | Kawaski Ninja ZX600R | Suzuki TS185

I rode an R1 as well as an R1M extensively to test them out (not that it compares to living with one) and will say even compared to my S1000RR that I owned for 5 years, the reason the Aprilia is so amazing, is that it simply is so easy to ride. If you're a skilled rider, it makes it so easy to ride spiritedly, or just cruise along if you are in that mindset. The craftsmanship is impeccable, and it's jaw droppingly handsome...much like myself
    2017 Aprilia RSV4RF. Austin Racing slip on, race ECU, Graves frame sliders, Competition Werkes rear fender eliminator, Motobox mirror block offs/led signals, gutted emissions, RhinoMoto bar end, Rizoma bar end mirror.

apriliaforum newb
    I'll hit you up andyandtherman

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by jmann View Post
    Please elaborate on what names the RSV4 more fun than the R1? I’m on the fence on getting an R1.
    for me the r1 had a really aggressive saddle. I'm 6'1 215ish and the ape felt comfy to me. Also the insurance is waaayyyy higher for the R1, at least for me. Less claims in this area for the Ape I suppose.

Yes I still have the 16' R1 as well. As for what makes the RSV4 more enjoyable than the R1, I'd say mostly because it's newer... I really like the R1 which is why I elected to keep it along side the RSV4. The Aprilia is a bit more comfortable to ride in terms of bar reach. The R1 has an aggressive set of track egos with a long reach to the bar which makes getting into a tucked position easy, but on long highway stretches were you're not moving around on the bike very much it can cause some fatigue. The RSV4 has a slightly more upright riding position (not by much) and a little shorter reach to the bars. The seats on both machines are hard which yields excellent feedback, but can leave you wanting to pull over after 40 to 50 miles.

When it comes to the motors, it's a give and take. The RSV4 is crazy smooth and therefore deceptively fast. This can get you in a lot of trouble with L.E. if you don't watch the speedo. The R1's motor is not as smooth, but still pulls with great veracity with an engine note equally as enjoyable as the RSV4. Although the RSV4 is a bit of a fat girl, weighing some 30 plus pounds more than the R1 you don't really feel much of a weight difference. The R1 has been flashed and had extensive work done to it's RBW throttle maps giving a big improvement. It's now night and day compared to stock which was like a light switch stock. The Aprilia's RBW is the best I've sampled, with my previous 1199 being at the lower end. I added the FT ECU auto-blipper to the R1 as well. It's a solid unit, with my only complaint being you really have to makes sure the throttle is 100 % closed or it will not function to allow clutchless down shifts. This may not seem like a big issue until your on track flying down the straight a big willow at 180 mph and your pre-curved gauntlet glove's grip pad keeps the throttle from completely... The RSV4's auto blipper allows for up /down shifts regardless of throttle opening. It is however limited by RPM thresholds. If you bury the needle at redline with won't let you grenade the gearbox. It also will deny a downshift if your revs are super low. I'm going to bring them both to a track day next month and put them through there paces.

apriliaforum Member
    Prettykin,
    You state that your rsv4 auto blip allows down shifts regardless of throttle opening so I assume you mean clutchless downshifts. My 2017 rr won’t unless I’m off the throttle completely. I’ve accidentally had the throttle slightly open when using the auto blip and yes it did engage but with a very jerky feeling and could tell that it didn’t want to cooperate. It would be nice, however, if the auto blip worked with throttle open the way the quick shift functions.

It should work. I think you may have a setting wrong. On my 17', there's a setting in the APRC settings when you scroll down that you can either turn on or off the quick downshifter. Yours is likely off as mine was once and I had the same experience you described. Open the aPRC bank, scroll down to the AQS Down and make sure it's ON.

The dealer told me I could only downshift with the throttle completely closed. The manual says, “This is a system allowing you to upshift or downshift without using the clutch or changing the position of the throttle lever”. Mine wasn’t working so it’s at the dealer being fixed. Pretty sure he told me they’re replacing the sensor. I never used it much because I’m only 200 +/- miles past the first service. Worked great. Then stopped working.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyandtherman View Post
    It should work. I think you may have a setting wrong. On my 17', there's a setting in the APRC settings when you scroll down that you can either turn on or off the quick downshifter. Yours is likely off as mine was once and I had the same experience you described. Open the aPRC bank, scroll down to the AQS Down and make sure it's ON.
    Just checked mine and it’s on as you suggested. My dealer also told me throttle must be closed but will now look into this.
    Perhaps others can chime in.

As Andy said, the system allows for the throttle to open and still function as opposed to the FT ECU unit the R1, or the 1299 panigale which require the throttle to be completely closed in order to function. In regard to what your dealer told you, I can tell you unequivocally they are misinformed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast