Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a realistic speed on a Scabby 150?

apriliaforum prov-nov

What is a realistic speed on a Scabby 150?

Just fixed my new to me 2001 scabby 150 (blown head gasket). Never ridden it before so I have no base line for determining if this bike is having a lack of power or if this is as good as it gets. I have seen some vids where they show the speed of a scabby and mine is nowhere near that quick to get up, nor is the top end anywhere near. Top speed on mine going down hill with the wind and throttle pegged is 50 mph (80 kph). LOw end grunt is pretty pathetic too. Does anyone change the rollers? The bike starts and idles fine, doesnt seem to chug whch would be a carb issue, so not quite sure whats up
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum Member
    If I'm not mistaken I think mine was right around 68 or so depending on conditions. I know I could keep up with most traffic on the interstate. Of course it's not good to ride it for prolonged times at those speeds, which is the only reason I got rid of mine. Mine was quick off the line too BTW. Stock with no mods.
    It doesn't sound like yours is up to par for these bikes.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks, that's what i was thinking. Wonder what could be dragging it down? With just replacing the Head gasket wonder if I am not getting enough compression, like maybe this is a faulty Head gasket. Maybe rings are shot?
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum prov-nov
    just took it for a 15 mile ride. Definitely run better when its warm. Again like I said on an earlier post this thing likes to run warm, but doesnt over heat. Will replace whatever is in it with water wetter here soon.
    Think I will start this process with a new spark plug. Then I am going to check compression. Then Valves. Wonder if this thing has a governor, being I live in CA, maybe it was on there for emissions reasons
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum prov-nov
    WOW, gauge just said 60 PSI. Heck I didnt think engine would run on 60 PSI
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum Member
    Cletus, I'm in Sonoma with 2003 Beo 150. I bought the scooter about 6 years ago with 367 miles on the clock. It had been sitting for a good 5 years without running. I had my local scooter shop do the heavy lifting necessary to completely refurbish the bike and get it running properly.

Hopefully, your low compression is not indicative of a top end problem........

One problem we had with my bike (and many others have had with theirs) is the inability of the vacuum system to fully open the carb slide. This will give the symptoms you mentioned. Do a search on carb slide and you'll find numerous discussions on the slide issue and how to fix it.

Good luck, I love my 150. It's quite peppy for a 150 and even with a windshield will go over 70. Bear in mind that these engines tend to come apart if run at high rpms for any length of time. Mine stays below 60 indicated mph over 99% of the time.

apriliaforum expert
    Valve timing and lash have to be correct to get good compression so you would start with valve timing and valve lash being set correctly before you can measure compression. When removing a head to replace the gasket one should always do a leak test on the valves and address any issues they find before putting the head back on. If the head gasket blew then how much coolant ended up in the cylinder? If it sat with coolant in the cylinder, crank case and oil sump for an extended period of time then the rings could be gummed up with coolant or even rusty. When the head was off what did the cylinder look like when you rotated the crank to bring the piston to the bottom of the stroke and inspected it for rust, pitting, scoring and out of round? How many miles on the bike? The major issue with the Beo 150 is that it is not governed and will let you run it to red line giving you 250cc performance levels until it self destructs.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 09-26-2017 at 11:53 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the feedback. About 2 am, it dawned on me that maybe the timing is off a tooth. I set the valve timing but i bet when i tightened the chain tensioner it might be off a tooth. I knew setting the timing wasn't that easy. Sure would be nice for a timing mark somewhere to guarantee TDC as opposed to putting a screw driver in the cylinder head and turning the crank until the screw driver stops going up.
    The bike has 13K miles on it. Cylinder and head looked ok. Didnt do a leak down test. I am going to check the valve timing first then try another compression test.

Next question is where in the hell do you get rings if I need them. Searched all over. Damn parts for these are hard to get
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert

apriliaforum prov-nov
    THanks Rockynv
    Well I stopped at Revelution moto in Santa ROsa and got some advice. Valve lash is Intake .05-.09 and exhaust .10 -.14. My intakes were good but exhaust was way loose. Tightened them up and rechecked timing. Dealer said I might be on the wrong stroke when I set previous.

In any event. bike runs better, seems to pick up pace faster and easily gets to 50mph. I looked at my throttle linkage and there is a bar limiting how far I can turn the throttle, so I think this scooter has some sort of governor on it? Ever heard of one?
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    Previous owner could have put a limiter to prevent the engine from being blown. The are known to rev up and go about 70 mph until they self destruct but are really designed for 50 to 55 mph.

The since the spark sensor is on the crank and there is no separate distributor it fires every revolution so that does not make a difference to valve timing making it so it can't be off one revolution.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 09-27-2017 at 03:59 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Cletus, if you're in the mood, drive over to Sonoma and we'll take the Beo's out together. That should clear the air regarding any performance issues on your bike.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks all, after clearing my mind i took a ride this morning and I feel everything is right with the bike. I believe It has a governor on it but I am happy with top speed, so no need to remove it. I can easily get to 50 mph and for the purpose i have this scooter for thats good enough with me.
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well i finally fixed this problem. Holy shit is this thing fast!! Its like a street bike. Turns our vacuum slide on carb wasn't working. Bought a replica keihin carb on flea bay for $40 and swapped slide and a few other items, and it back on. I am just shocked at the pick up and speed. Wow, just wow!
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum prov-nov Pinkscoot's Avatar
    The diaphragm and slide should be checked early on when troubleshooting low power. The valves as well. I got mine free because a cycle shop had gone over it and set the valves way off and I think they never got the diaphragm in right. The PO was fed up with it and just got rid of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast