Thread: Hydration pack for race suit

apriliaforum Junkie

Hydration pack for race suit

Is anyone using a hydration pack in the hump of their race suits? I have an endurance race coming up and my Revit suit has a provision in the hump.

Any recommendations for a quality bladder that's small enough to fit? And how would you fit the tube? I don't want to modify a helmet so I was thinking of having it clipped to my chest and grabbing it with my left hand on the straight.

Anyone done this?

Just get a Camelback bladder that fits (or any other brand - they all work). Just run the tube in through the bottom of your helmet and keep the end in your mouth. Drink on the straights. I wouldn't try to grab during the race - too distracting at a time you should be resting.

Have you endurance raced before? I have for the past 6 years - it's a blast. We usually do 1 hour shifts - 2 per rider. Not too hot here - max around 85 F (29 C) or so. Still - I train for it, and it has made a difference.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Just get a Camelback bladder that fits (or any other brand - they all work). Just run the tube in through the bottom of your helmet and keep the end in your mouth. Drink on the straights. I wouldn't try to grab during the race - too distracting at a time you should be resting.

Have you endurance raced before? I have for the past 6 years - it's a blast. We usually do 1 hour shifts - 2 per rider. Not too hot here - max around 85 F (29 C) or so. Still - I train for it, and it has made a difference.
    Thanks for the advice! Did you tape it to your helmet somehow or just leave it in your mouth? I have a camelbak for mountain biking but they are generally 1.5 litres or above and seem to have a big fill cap that makes it hard to fit in the suit. Need to find a smaller option.

Yeah we have what I would call a 'fun' 6 hour endurance race in NZ. Done it the last 2 years and this is my 3rd, awesome fun.

I didn't race with it, just tested it a bit with a regular camelback, as my hump can't be opened for a bladder. It wasn't hot enough to be bothered with it in the race though. Taping may work, but just holding it in your mouth works too - at least for me.

Endurance racing is funny - I never want to do it, but then have fun during it!
    WMRRA #98
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

apriliaforum newb
    Ummm.... I did an endurance race with a camelpak in my revit suit hump.

I didn't keep the tube in my mouth though, I ran it through the little hoops on the shoulder of the suit and left it hanging by my chest. Wasn't an issue until I drank for the first time!!!

I wear an AGV helmet for racing and the gap to get the tube under the helmet is pretty tight, the first time I took the drinking tube out it pulled off the bite valve and began to siphon all my drink out! I was drowning in it for a couple laps trying not to lose it all!!! Eventually I gave up and just let it drain all over my suit and bike, it was still refreshing !!!

I highly recommend testing and getting a system down before the race. I've done it a couple times since and have it worked out a bit better.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 172Driver View Post
    Ummm.... I did an endurance race with a camelpak in my revit suit hump.

I didn't keep the tube in my mouth though, I ran it through the little hoops on the shoulder of the suit and left it hanging by my chest. Wasn't an issue until I drank for the first time!!!

I wear an AGV helmet for racing and the gap to get the tube under the helmet is pretty tight, the first time I took the drinking tube out it pulled off the bite valve and began to siphon all my drink out! I was drowning in it for a couple laps trying not to lose it all!!! Eventually I gave up and just let it drain all over my suit and bike, it was still refreshing !!!

I highly recommend testing and getting a system down before the race. I've done it a couple times since and have it worked out a bit better.
    Which Camelbak model did you use??

So did you just grab the tube while riding? Hard to do?

apriliaforum newb
    Sorry I forgot all about this post!

Don't know the model, just bough a bladder on its own from a sporting store.

Yup, lots of time on the straights to get the tube and tuck it in.

apriliaforum newb
    Actually my technique for filling was sound.... bladder in the hump while empty, straightened it inside the hump as best we could and then filled it.

I was looking into this for some time. I have never used it or seen one in person but Leatt makes a system that is suppose to work fairly well.
    With that said we endurance race here in Texas. It can be 80F or 110F. We ride anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour stints, usually 2 per rider.
    After conditioning for this by cycling in the heat, I haven't had an issue NOT having a camel bak.

I find that hydrating weeks before helps and I have tried several of the hydration drinks. Some help way more than others.
    CMRA

Sidi Boots
    Motonation
    Vesrah Brakes
    BD Racing
    Dunlop
    Race Tire Services
    Lucas Oil
    Vortex Racing
    Shorai Batteries
    North Texas Superbikes

1964 Vespa:
    133c/4spd conversion
    2008 Yamaha R6 #728

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
    I find that hydrating weeks before helps and I have tried several of the hydration drinks. Some help way more than others.
    how do you hydrate "weeks" before? Hydration is a pretty quick process. Usually over a couple of hours maybe 1/2 a day. Dont believe me? Go ask an ER to hook you to a saline bag and see how long it takes to empty.

Heed or Scratch or Nunn are all great products.

I don't know how you all race in 100*+ heat, especially endurance race. I guess you get used to it. I did a couple of 16 lap races (~25-30 minutes) this past season when it was 95+ and I was spent by the end!
    WMRRA #98

Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    how do you hydrate "weeks" before? Hydration is a pretty quick process. Usually over a couple of hours maybe 1/2 a day. Dont believe me? Go ask an ER to hook you to a saline bag and see how long it takes to empty.

Heed or Scratch or Nunn are all great products.
    I like Skratch Labs. With a saline bag I can get drunk the night before and be good to go.
    So you can be dehydrated, consume a gallon of water and be fully hydrated in a couple of hours?
    I have been told by doctors (I race with) to start drinking water 5 days before the event religiously.
    Also take in salts to retain the water and of course not to drink any beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    I don't know how you all race in 100*+ heat, especially endurance race. I guess you get used to it. I did a couple of 16 lap races (~25-30 minutes) this past season when it was 95+ and I was spent by the end!
    It takes work and years of living in Texas to become conditioned to it.
    Last edited by wrx_02; 11-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    CMRA

Sidi Boots
    Motonation
    Vesrah Brakes
    BD Racing
    Dunlop
    Race Tire Services
    Lucas Oil
    Vortex Racing
    Shorai Batteries
    North Texas Superbikes

1964 Vespa:
    133c/4spd conversion
    2008 Yamaha R6 #728

The custom suit I have from Vo2Leathers has it built in. Easily removed as well for refill or not in use. Cool feature for endurance races or coaching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_02 View Post
    I like Skratch Labs. With a saline bag I can get drunk the night before and be good to go.
    So you can be dehydrated, consume a gallon of water and be fully hydrated in a couple of hours?
    I have been told by doctors (I race with) to start drinking water 5 days before the event religiously.
    Also take in salts to retain the water and of course not to drink any beer.
    not just plain water.