Thread: Did a bit of unplanned work yesterday

Did a bit of unplanned work yesterday

I've been collecting bits and pieces to make some changes to my Futura for some time (CBR600 coils & the necessary parts to fit them, Aftermarket clutch slave, Replacement clutch hose and master cylinder bleed nipple, 0.4 clutch jet, HID bulb for dip beam) - nothing special but should stop the flashing EFI light and make it feel a bit more familiar to my Falco.

Anyway, I've not found the time to fit any of those things .... projects for the Future/a

However, yesterday I had no choice but to sort out a problem. I came out of church to ride home and noticed my tail light was all floppy.
    Investigation revealed the previous owner (or a previous, previous owner) had broken the fixings and done a bit of a bodge-job on a "repair".

I gather that I'm far from being the first to experience this problem and found a handy guide on this forum about recovering tail lights . I did a bit of a variation on that handy guide and with a handful of nuts, a few cut down pieces of tube, some washers and a tube of epoxy, I have constructed what I think might be a superior bodge-job to what was there before.

I put it all back together before heading off to work this morning and all seems well so far.

How long it will last, I have no idea !
    I hope it's some time as replacement parts seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

A few months in to Futura ownership, it's time for a bit of an update on how I'm gelling with it.
    Well, the primary reason I bought it was for its upright riding position - it's certainly solved the neck problems I get riding the Falco (which I have no plan to sell).
    I really like it and am very glad I've joined the world of Futura ownership.

That said, the suspension clearly needs some work. I'm not too surprised as I've got Ohlins front and rear on the Falco and I've set it up to suit. The longer I've had the Futura, the more bouncy I've noticed it is and at very least, it needs setting up - and possibly some upgrades.
    I also miss the grunt of the Falco - the Futura is willing and has good characteristics for its commuting and touring role but when I change from one to the other, the difference is easily noticeable. I suppose that's no bad thing - there would be little point in having both if they were just the same!

Anyway, I'm enjoying both bikes and very glad to have the Futura.

Stock suspension?

You can swap the forks out, but I feel that you can make up plenty just by having a good set of valves installed.

Rear shock just needs to be replaced with something decent.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Stock suspension?

You can swap the forks out, but I feel that you can make up plenty just by having a good set of valves installed.

Yes, stock - and I've not even tried adjusting it yet - so probably far from its best.
    However I do have a spare Ohlins shock and the Marzocchis that came off of my Falco - so I can have a look at the fun and games of fitting them .... when I can find a bit of time.

apriliaforum newb
    Repaced the coil to a 115 kg./cm hyperpro and did a revision as well. Most easy and cheap option and works really nice. Raised the lengt to a maximum including some 6 mm length and get a bit better front wheel steering. Getting the rear shock out and in however is a heck of a job.
    Just thinking of getting the front forks refurbished, changing some shims could make a more sporty riding as this is now almost at the most close setting of the fork, 1,5 turns open from closed. Preload 3 rings abov the yoke.
    changing to map 05 can be an improvement, as getting your Long therm fuel trim sorted to have 3,5% CO2 from the exhaust. Using TuneECU here and their Lonelec cable and laptop. Free software. Lot of knowlidge here, not that experienced yet as I have the bike for 2 years and 13.000 happy km’s.

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    Stock suspension?

Agreed, though upgraded valves not necessary with good, 3-way Showa.

Then there's that other one difference: The 320 mm discs. Though there's not much difference in feel generally, they do make hard braking notably more effective. Plus, they're available in every brand as more affordable--or more exotic--replacements. Try and find that in the Fut 300.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!