Thread: backfireing?????help

steveatyork

backfireing?????help

hi my bike backfires on low revs can anyone suggest what it is? checked plugs they seem fine.i have also got a slight dent in the expansion chamber will this b causing it??also i think ive got to much oil coming out as well.can anyone help cheers

chrisiball

backfiring

Is that DAZ from york? The backfiring could be from a chipped reed or an airleak around the inlet area. I.e are the inlet rubbers tight around the carbs or is the inlet block sealed properly?

wsmc667

Re: backfiring

also pull the left side engine cover (no oil behind there). on mine, the magnetic material fragged out of the flywheel and was all over everything! including the ignition pick up!

good luck!
    chris

steveatyork

yes its daz from york.what sort of job are we looking at if it is the reeds??also im using the bike to get to work on will it damage anything?

steveatyork

do u know anyone in yorkshire that has any experience with the 300cc aprt from stan stephens cause it will cost me a fortune to get my bike down there cause my bike down on power alot its only making 60hp.but it has standard exhausts valves on it?dont wanna b riding my bike if the reeds have gone.cheers

chrisiball

backfiring

HI DAZ if it is your reeds then it shudnt do any damage, because all its doing is letting fuel into the cylinder when its not needed. All you have to do is wip the tank off, undo the clips that hold your carbs to the rubber inlets, and theres 4 bolts on each inlet block undo them and your reed cages are under them, pull them both out and if theyve gone then one or more reed will have a chunk missin. Have you got the 300cc kit then? what does it go like? I dont know any particular 2 stroke tuner, but my local shop in scunny (Mick Price) has a Dyno and has experience with RGVs.
    Hope this helps mate

daz19

re

thx for the info chrisiball.yep got the 300cc but its down on power way down its only making 60hp???the barrels been bored to 61mm but i thinks its the exhausts valves thats making it loose power to tell u the truth the bike is running crap well pissed off spent a fortune looks like ill b doing alot of overtime at work to get it to stan stephens i tried frank wrathell but he doesnt deal in then no more so it looks like its going to stans stephens

chrisiball

backfire

Hi Daz. Who did the 300cc conversion? what mileage has it dun? I wudnt of thought the powervalves would make it backfire, or do u mean it was running crap b4 it started backfiring?

daz19

re

well i bought the engine off ebay (bad news) got it fitted was running abit crap so took it to stu jones basicaly he said it wasn nackered so he put new heads on it put standard exhaust valves on ect.he seems to think its down on power cause of the exhaust valves or somthing.had cylinder replaited as well so its deff a 300cc but down on power alot.but am totally lost why its down on power??? and to cap it all off its backfiring (not all the time)just need to find somone who's got experience with the 300cc and the only 1 i can think off is stan stephens.tried frank wrathell he doesnt deal in them no more.if anypone on here could give me any info on this.or u chrisiball.cheers
    daz

chrisiball

backfire

Hi Daz, Thats a f**kin long way to go to stu jones!! There must be a 2 stroke tuner around ill try and find out! I really arent sure what could be up with your motor, weel have to meet up and check it out

daz19

re

stu was coming by my house anyway so so wasntr that bad.stu seems to think that its the exhausts valves??he tried to get info off other tuners but they woudnt give him it.just need to find somone who knows alot about the 300cc.cheers chrisi if u can get any info ect for for me