Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Official Aprilia High Flow AirFilter Kit (idiot-proof guide)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderpantsV4 View Post
    They list the part number if you search on the website.
    Thanks thunderpants I couldn't find it searching under air filters, hehe

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Markey View Post
    Wheels 39
    cool,
    Last edited by ThunderpantsV4; 09-08-2017 at 05:21 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    I've just got back in from a ride and holy crap, the bike is a fire breathing beast, it's running incredibly strong, front wheel up much more than usual Nice cool air and a free flowing filter does the trick!

apriliaforum expert
    By the way, uk owners, the Aprilia parts bloke at "On Yer Bike" in Aylesbury knows his stuff and is super helpful, he ordered the Aprilia "crash pads" that my dealer said didn't exist.. (also page 22!) They've ordered them and sending them to me in the post. I got the race can from them and by the time I'd ridden the bike home I'd had a text telling me when the courier will be delivering the stock can to my house, spot on.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderpantsV4 View Post
    I've just got back in from a ride and holy crap, the bike is a fire breathing beast, it's running incredibly strong, front wheel up much more than usual Nice cool air and a free flowing filter does the trick!
    How often do you have to clean it or replace? Is it dense enough to stop dust?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by sportyrider View Post

Exactly, filters both fabric and the metal type have a size of particulate capture efficiency. It would be interesting to know if figures are available to see how efficient this obviously low pressure drop metal filter actually is.
    17 Tuono Factory
    2012 Ducati 848 Corse

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethers View Post
    Exactly, filters both fabric and the metal type have a size of particulate capture efficiency. It would be interesting to know if figures are available to see how efficient this obviously low pressure drop metal filter actually is.
    Also, does it need a new map to compensate for more air flow, especially with the slipon and without db killer?

I am sure it adds couple HP, but dust and lean fueling will cause problems down the road.

I used MWR high perf filters on my other bikes and they always required tuning and frequent maintenance.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I can't tell for certain from the pictures, but it looks like a K&N style gauze filter that one can clean and reuse, but shouldn't it be oiled?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
    I can't tell for certain from the pictures, but it looks like a K&N style gauze filter that one can clean and reuse, but shouldn't it be oiled?
    Good quality full race filters give you the same protection as street filters, but their lifespan is very short, ...and yes, they are oiled. I am not finding much info about that filter from aprilia, but I did find MWR filter for Tuono that looks good (high eff only, full race only for rsv4)

http://www.racingairfilters.eu/?ids=kop3/sub1

*Part.nr.: MC-010-04HE

They show dyno charts in RSV4 section.

I think I will try mwr, if I decide that I need this upgrade.

Thanks for the write-up and pics. You did a great job showing most of the job but kinda glossed over the "...and then disconnect the fuel line on the right hand side of the tank..." part.

Any special tools required to disconnect the fuel line? How much fuel leakage can be expected? Better to have the tank nearly empty or actually remove the fuel with a siphon or pump?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    Thanks for the write-up and pics. You did a great job showing most of the job but kinda glossed over the "...and then disconnect the fuel line on the right hand side of the tank..." part.

Any special tools required to disconnect the fuel line? How much fuel leakage can be expected? Better to have the tank nearly empty or actually remove the fuel with a siphon or pump?
    Yeah I didn't get a photo of it. It's easy to undo, no special tool required. You hold one side with one hand and push a little grey tab on the other side with the other hand. It's pretty obvious when you see it. I was trying hard to get it done before the rain came so missed the fuel connector photo. The connector doesn't drop fuel, it stops it when you disconnect. I actually got a tiny bit of fuel from the vent connectors which didn't bother me at all and the tank was full when I removed it. I hope that helps you see that this is actually an easy job for a competent person.
    Last edited by ThunderpantsV4; 09-11-2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: clarity

apriliaforum expert

Well it's an RSV4 filter so it will probably be replaced as per the RSV4. I will replace it as I would the stock filter element. It will be dense enough to stop dust otherwise Aprilia wouldn't put it in the accessories book and recommend us using it. Remember this is usually for a 201bhp sportbike so it has to work and be good enough. If people "faff" about with aftermarket filters they "may" run into problems that Aprilia won't help with but this is an official option. Check out the accessories PDF linked earlier in the thread.

apriliaforum expert
    Also, does it need a new map to compensate for more air flow, especially with the slipon and without db killer?

I am sure it adds couple HP, but dust and lean fueling will cause problems down the road.

I used MWR high perf filters on my other bikes and they always required tuning and frequent maintenance.

You didn't see the dyno fuelling chart or read the whole thread? Aprilia are not going to recommend something that's bad for the bike, they're offering parts that are proven because they know people want to upgrade. It's just like the "race" can, you can have all sorts of problems by using a can that is too short or too open but if you go with the official Aprilia/Akrapovic can the bike runs brilliantly and has zero issues. I actually don't care about "adding a couple of HP" but rather that the bike has plenty of usable low to mid range grunt and torque, which it does. This isn't a race filter, it's an option to use a (free flowing) RSV4 filter which is better than the stock Tuono filter, that's it.

apriliaforum expert
    A quick reminder of the fuelling both stock and with "race" map. Both very rich. Remember, this is NOT a race filter, it's just better flowing than stock. Aprilia themselves are suggesting this with no extra fuelling required. Look at the chart rather than think "they say it runs lean" Aprilia are NOT going to suggest it if it's going to be a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_202613.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	504.1 KB 
ID:	345181

It's not a fancy race filter, it's only 39, it gives a significant improvement over stock, that's it. Each to their own, I'm very happy and confident and I have a huge grin on my face.
    Last edited by ThunderpantsV4; 10-28-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: re-load photo

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast