Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New V4 Kid on the block...

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    I'll guess $2000 for the valve adjustment at 15,000 mile intervals. Frameless design....aaack.
    I doubt the adjustment itself will be $2000. That's nearly 16 hours of labor, I don't think it will take a pro Ducati mechanic two whole days to complete.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diablo1 View Post
    I'll guess $2000 for the valve adjustment at 15,000 mile intervals. Frameless design....aaack.
    I don't think that the service will be much different to what we are spending on the Aprilia. Having owned the 916SPS back in '99, the service costs were around the 800 for a belt/oil and valve clearance check, I believe back then it was quoted as every 6k for the big service.

The RSV4 factory, I am lucky to have 5 dealers within 2h30 from my house, all quote around 750 for the big service, valve clearance's and they systematically change the cam tensioners within this price, obviously any unseen extras on top.
    My bikes are tracked, so the mechanic's only spend time on the engine as brakes and suspension etc are all looked after each weekend.

I am looking closely at this new Ducati, I would love a Desmosedici RR from 2008, but I am sure that this new one will be a better bike with electronics etc, maybe not the best for initial depreciation.
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0p3ragh0st View Post
    Asphalt and Rubber put up some more pics, the tail is horrible. Personally, I don't care how much power and features it has, the bike needs to look the part.
    I just looked on this tail rearend section,and reminds me Kawasaki H2.maybe gone grow on me later on.on beginning everything looks like sh...t later on people get use too and become best looking thing.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have no doubt the engine is going to be sick. Given the experience they have with GP V4, I'm sure they had all the data they needed to come up with a great design.

Im intersted in the rest of the package - specifically the chassis. You can have the sickest engine around but if its married to a shit chassis - who cares? For me, this is the genius of the RSV4. The balance is perfect.

I don't think the spy shots are representative of the production bike but I guess we'll have to wait until November to find out. Exciting.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny112 View Post
    I doubt the adjustment itself will be $2000. That's nearly 16 hours of labor, I don't think it will take a pro Ducati mechanic two whole days to complete.
    You guys are forgetting that this is a desmodromic valve system. You have two valve arms per valve that need to be clearance checked and adjusted if need be. This is no Aprilia either, bike isn't as friendly to work on. A 15k service on a Ducati 1199/1299 is near the $2000 mark, and I just googles it and came up with similar prices.

If you're talking about the entire service, then yeah, maybe $2k. We're still talking about a few hundred $$$ extra every few years on a bike that's $20-30k+. If you're really that worried about it, figure out how to check your own brake pads for wear, change your own oil, and torque your own bolts; problem solved.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny112 View Post
    If you're talking about the entire service, then yeah, maybe $2k. We're still talking about a few hundred $$$ extra every few years on a bike that's $20-30k+. If you're really that worried about it, figure out how to check your own brake pads for wear, change your own oil, and torque your own bolts; problem solved.
    That maybe the case, but not everyone has the skill to work on their own stuff. And now with a V4 your doubling the amount of valves that need to be clearance checked. I'm the end, I suppose your right. If you have the bread to dump 30k on a bike then this should be a drop in the bucket.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    it looks like a VFR

apriliaforum expert
    Why would/should valve adjustment cost double the RSV4? Because the Ducati needs to remove engine, as you don't have access to heads without removing most of the bike. Also, it has twice the number of valve shims.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory

My computer got a check engine light before getting to the bottom of the page.... typical Ducati. lol!

looks like an old police interceptor to me. The whole thing looks funky.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitney151 View Post
    I have no doubt the engine is going to be sick. Given the experience they have with GP V4, I'm sure they had all the data they needed to come up with a great design.

Im intersted in the rest of the package - specifically the chassis. You can have the sickest engine around but if its married to a shit chassis - who cares? For me, this is the genius of the RSV4. The balance is perfect.

I don't think the spy shots are representative of the production bike but I guess we'll have to wait until November to find out. Exciting.
    Yep. Engine will be awesome. However Ducati traditionally can't get the chassis / geometry right. Look at the xx98 bikes (need aftermarket or corsa parts) and the Panigale (no feedback) and of course the Desmosedici!

This is the one area Aprilia has been top of the pile.

Nobody likes to hear their baby is ugly but it looks like a Panigale effed a VFR and this is the result.

Poor kid!

Does this thing now run TWO exhaust pipes up underneath the rider, instead of the Panigale's one? Good grief man, I hope they use Space Shuttle ceramic tile for insulation, and a dedicated cooling loop for the saddle.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
    Yep. Engine will be awesome. However Ducati traditionally can't get the chassis / geometry right. Look at the xx98 bikes (need aftermarket or corsa parts) and the Panigale (no feedback) and of course the Desmosedici!

This is the one area Aprilia has been top of the pile.
    I've been through both iterations. The 1198 required huge investment in setup. The 1199 was better but still vague. Really curious to see what they've come up with here.

I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    To me, the most interesting event to come out of all of this will be 2-3 years from launch when Ducati unveils the Panigale V4 little brother.

A lightweight mid sized V4 would be an awesome proposition.

Beat Honda at their own game.

I have presumed that the heart & minds running Honda during the 80s & 90s that conceived and produced the RC 30 / 45 are now retired and replaced with MBAs / Accountants, rather than passionate Engineers.
    Last edited by 1969; 09-11-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast