Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JMH's 1060 Big Bore project

JMH's 1060 Big Bore project

Time to start this thread. Below a cunning plan plus acquired items and to be acquired items:

Plan:
    Gen1 engine with Griff’s 1060 kit + Gen2 heads & Gen2 TBs + Edwards airbox with OEM paper filter. JS Performance hoses. The cherry on the cake is TSS slipper clutch. By the way, has anyone got one for sale?

The engine is a 70 tkm Gen1 engine from 2002 Mille. It will be taken apart and checked for wear and tear. For this reason I ask if anyone has good condition Gen1 engine spares in case I need them. I guess it is mainly gearbox related but con rod bearings and such can come to question.

Once the heads and barrels are out the barrels will be shipped to Apriliaperformance and the disassembling of the lower end continues. Hopefully all is good there so that the engine, equipped with TSS slipper clutch now, is ready for the new 1060 barrels and pistons once they come.

After that the tinkering to mate the Gen2 heads to the engine continues. Hopefully the engine is in the frame in January/ February so that that the TB can be mounted and I guess there was a way to use the original idle tuning with the Gen2 TB.

March time could be starting the engine and getting it to a dyno room for 1-2 hours.

Acquired:
    Gen 2 Heads
    Gen 2 TB
    57 mm intake funnels
    Gen 2 down pipes
    Edwards airbox lower half
    Adapters to the jets
    PCIII
    TSS slipper clutch
    JSPerformance silicone hoses & clips
    Valve stem seals, cutch cover gasket, generator cover gasket
    Divot pins
    Crank case gasket
    Con rod bolts
    Clutch rod, gear and secondary drive shaft seals
    06 Gen2 clutch basket and compelete gearbox
    Aprilia Performance 1060 BB kit
    Bushings for crank and balancer shaft
    Oil pump gears
    Adjustable cam gears
    Head checking and machining
    Crank and balancer bearing installation and measurement
    Gabro hybrid chip

4209,83 €

To be acquired:

Pipe welding
    Dyno tuning

Questions will be asked and if you have parts related to this project for sale, please offer them to me in an affordable manner

Finally, the target is 140 hp on the rearwheel. How hard could it be?
    Last edited by JMH; 01-07-2018 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Cost update
    Mille Aarrr -02 & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

apriliaforum expert
    Nice project. I have got a couple of sets of engine internals, all in very good condition and only removed as the chain snapped and cracked the cases. If you need anything give me a shout.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tash View Post
    Nice project. I have got a couple of sets of engine internals, all in very good condition and only removed as the chain snapped and cracked the cases. If you need anything give me a shout.

Mark
    I will keep in mind.

cool. y'know, it's only money.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I would go with ductile iron sleeves like the ones from L.A. Sleeve instead of having the bored cylinders Nikasil plated. I've seen bored cylinders here on the forum that were plated and failed. Most of those were 1100+ cc, but I'd still go for the sleeves for the peace of mind.
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Red
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Blue
    1992 BMW K1100RS ABS
    1993 Honda CBR600 F2
    1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto
    1999 Aprilia RSV Mille

I think the Aprilia Performance ones were plated but so is Kämna ones as well. Not sure about Spoonvalley Racing but then again they both make 1100+ ones and I have decided to settle to the 1060 one from Aprilia Performance. I hope it holds together.

Amauri in California does sleeves. Shipping to Finland from California looks to be around $100 for a 20 pound box with dimensions of 20x12x12 inches and a value of $1500.
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Red
    1985 Honda VF500F Interceptor Blue
    1992 BMW K1100RS ABS
    1993 Honda CBR600 F2
    1995 Ducati 916 Monoposto
    1999 Aprilia RSV Mille

^
    will be total cost (including shipping) x 1,27 with VAT and duties when shipped from outside EU to Finland. Too bad.

Have you compared with spoonvalley racing in Sweden? They are not cheap but they do sleeves

http://spoonvalleyracing.se/engine-parts.html

^
    Saftigt (And I know the Spoonvalley exists as written in the options before. Just did not check if they did sleeves or not nor did I remember the hefty price)

There are several 1060 Nikasil plated conversions that have held. I do hope Aprilia Performance has a partner who knows what to do.

Edit: Redrat could possibly sheld some light on this regarding UK conversions?

Btw. Out of curiosity. How is it with heat transfer and heat forming when you bore out that much from a cylinder wall and have a sleeve vs. Nikasil plating and thicker original walls?
    Last edited by JMH; 09-07-2017 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    ^
    Saftigt (And I know the Spoonvalley exists as written in the options before. Just did not check if they did sleeves or not nor did I remember the hefty price)

There are several 1060 Nikasil plated conversions that have held. I do hope Aprilia Performance has a partner who knows what to do.

Edit: Redrat could possibly sheld some light on this regarding UK conversions?
    No reports of failures from Griff's work most of his are ride in ride out conversions but I know griff is a stickler for high precision he has fully tested the 1060 kit he sells in his nitrous Mille. Good enough for that, good enough to pass onto paying customers
    please get in touch if you would like a modded collector,adjustable lock-stops or quick release tank and seat pins

^
    What I thought. I have red about his nitrous 1060. Was it in PB, perhaps, some years ago?

The mechanic I am working with is an aircraft mechanic who worked with F18s before and knows Yamaha/ IL4 engines pretty much inside out and has been on TT as a mechanic as well. I have collected a list of bookmarks for the ins and outs of the conversion and I am quite confident the project will see a positive end result. For sure, some thinking moments could come.

Reports will follow.

apriliaforum newb
    Following this thread with interest as I have similar plans for my 2002 RSVR which I was hoping to complete over the Winter,
    (having said that we are now extending the house so my garage/shed area will be torn down soon which could put a spanner in the works).

I've acquired the 57mm TB's, Gen 2 heads (thanks Tash), PC3, Gen 2 downpipes and a few other bits, the plan was to give it to Griff to build a 1060 over the Winter as he had a busy Summer, maybe if he could do a slow build he could store it for me as well!

It's going to cost a few quid but I couldn't think of anything else that I could buy for a similar price that I wouldn't spend even more money on fettling,
    I'll need to fit some Apex clipons to make it more comfortable as well.

^
    I found mine better when I opened up the OEM ones. Clip ons that its. Then again, I have another set of clip ons that I intend to install over the winter. They have lining marks so easier to align them. It took me two gos and one ride in between to get the OEM ones aligned

Good luck with the project. I hope we have some results to compare and amaze after the winter.

And money... One can buy a good K5 GSX-R at a low cost but at the moment I do not want one. I want this.

My other worry over the winter is the KTM. Needs a second set of rims (and a third as the ape has as well, ha ha), suspension and linkage overhaul and whatever. The LC4 bikes tend to report the need for service by exploding somehow. Just yesterday my mate left his rear spindle nut and one chain guide plate in the woods. With some trick wire, cable ties, jesus tape and one socket we got out in one piece...

Edited the first post regarding the parts list and costs. A friend of mine will come by on Monday to take a look a the welding job for the down pipes.

It looks like the disassembling of the engine could commence in mid/ late October.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast