Thread: My scooter is starting to play up

apriliaforum newb

Unhappy My scooter is starting to play up

Hey Everyone,

So I am starting to notice a few things going on with my scooter, I have no motorcycle knowledge only some car knowledge and I think I may have some problems.

Before I start, has anybody heard of an Aprilia SB50? I can only find reference to an SR50 online.

1. My front breaks are scrapping. I have checked the pads and they're fine, the brake handle is not jammed, I have also blown compresses air into the area.
    2. I noticed sticky oil in the air filter, this is definitely not normal for a car, should I be concerned about this? There is also some debris going into the engine from the filter area. How bad is that?
    3. I can hear a kind of rattle/tick noise coming from the "variator", I think that is what its called. It's the one you mess with when you want to de-restrict the engine, though I have not so it should all be in tack.

Also lastly, I can't find the dip stick I have pulled of most covers on the scooter and still can't find it?

Thank you in advance,

I'm quite young and new to all this, so I don't really know what I'm doing haha

apriliaforum Member
    1 - whats the condition of the front rotor? are there any grooves gouged into it?...if you clean with vinegar it might help....i wonder if your caliper needs attention... posts of pic if your rotor/pads...also does the front wheel spin freely if you turn it by hand or does something rub?

2 - if its a 2stroke which i believe it is, oil is common in airfilter...in fact some airfilters need to be oiled to work properly....is it soaked and dripping?..again a photo would help

3 - when i would hear this rattle/tick from the variator area i discovered that the nut that holds the variator in place had begun to spin off....this is bad if it happens.....your best bet is to take that side cover off to so can take a look...i bet something is loose and its rubbing against the case.....if its that nut, put some threadlock on it and torque it back on.......while you are in there take out that restrictor washer ......again take some pics and we can help
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc

apriliaforum Member
    fyi - theres no dipstick...you have a dry clutch...and the oil is fed into the engine via the oil pump (2 stroke)

send us your questions...we are here to help...get good at taking pcs/vids and posting them....that will save you a ton of time....summer is winding down for us here on the other side of the world so we have all kinds of time to help
    2004 Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc
    2003 Vespa ET2 50cc
    2001 Triumph TT600
    1993 Yamaha Razz 50cc