Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Light.

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    "Sorry for delay in reply. I had considered the heat sink type but was concerned about heat build up behind dash so opted for fan cooled instead. It's been long enough since install, I don't remember regarding the clips but I don't recall them being a problem"

Ravenranger yeah i was a concern of mine also, only time is going to tell there really. The heatsink braide tech appears savvy as its used on some high end philips ones. The instructions also show the heatsink being covered over my car dust caps too so maybe they will cut the mustard?
    Last edited by the_toe_cutter; 10-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum newb
    Hi TC ... added a couple of pics to the previous post that might help .... and cheers for letting me butt in!

I see where you're coming from about the light spread. The LED's certainly have more area (top/bottom) that is only probably illuminated by internal reflections in the main lens .... but then again so does a standard bulb to a degree because the filaments have a couple of support wires that do the same thing - not much granted!

Haga - Still in mid-move and won't be settled until into the new year when I start my new Job. On a positive note two raids return to the UK ( while the other stays abroad) ..... however I'll probly have the shelve dashboards and messing with Capo/website while other stuff takes precedence.

Sorry to digress TC ....... back to bulbs!!!

Karl have you fitted led bulbs? Can you recommend any?

I'll file the edges so these can lay flat and get back with pics and long winded obtuse analysis

Ps be great of you can make a capo doo this yr!
    Brum Brum

Speaking of light....

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-POWER-P...58?_mwBanner=18

Ps I'll update yiz on the headlight shortly. Managed to fix the orientation and now I have a main beam!
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum Member
    How much stereo effect do you get with that sound system set up

(Just teasing to hide my garage envy.)

Howdy all, just dropping in for my monthly gander and I saw the post by TTC. Since having the Triumph, I've been doing a lot of night riding. The lights are absolute shite!! So, keen to read the end conclusions.

Interesting there are so many different perspectives and opinions on LED lights. Some rave, some scorn and a lot sit on the fence. It really is very confusing.

Oh and if I'm not back for a while, Happy Xmas ya mottley crew!! LOL (raising a Guinness to ya all!)

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid bars, bar clamp, seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. MG hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block. H&B side racks. Trax Evo panniers. Tourfella top box Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

http://capoandrew.blogspot.com

apriliaforum prov-nov Kennibear's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COB Light.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	456.5 KB 
ID:	347785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED HL over HdlBr.jpg 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	347786

These two pics show the 60W/6K lumens (120W/12K total) LED's I installed on my Capo. The orientation is important but if it's wrong you just unscrew the bulb and reinsert it 180 degrees out. The low beam draws 30W each side and when you switch on the high beam both high and low are lit ( the low beam COB's stay on). The COB's (chip-on-board) LED's throw a much more even pattern than the original H4 bulbs. The increase in output is astonishing. I had to remove the inner rubber ring from the water shield to get them to fit but it is no big deal. The Capo's have about 50mm clearance from bulb flange to fork tubes so look at the drawing of the dimensions of the bulb to be sure they are shorter than 50mm flange to back. I just changed the H4's in my wife's CanAm Spyder STS to 120W/12K lumens total LED's and they are a tremendous improvement. Straight H4 bulbs are 1.5K lumens either high or low beam so the LED's represent a 2X /4X light output increase.This should be a mandatory improvement on any bike you own.

KB

I guess...I'm really struggling with the type of light LED's throw down. While it's obvious they are bright I find myself having difficulty seeing the detail of darker objects, rocks, curbs - things in natural shadows when compared to regular H4 type bulbs, especially on high beam (H4). Now there is no denying (from my observation) that LEDs will dance off reflective street signs far and away out of regular field of view of H4 lights, I just don't find the light they throw off particularly usable for riding at night unless used with the standard lamps (e..g., as aux lights).

Like many cities, our street lights have been replaced with LEDs and it is the same thing - bright to look at but street illumination - poor. Now all that said it's very possible my eyes are not tuned to the spectrum of white the LEDs throw out. I do use LED lamps for work lights in confined spaces, etc., but that's different (for me) than using them as primary visual lighting when riding.
    06' Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by goldencapo View Post
    How much stereo effect do you get with that sound system set up

(Just teasing to hide my garage envy.)
    Goldencapo eh yeah i could do with wall mounting them alright lol.
    Actually as you mention it that 13 yo flash gordonesque looking pile a shite is actually a bit of a diamond in the rough so to speak. Its bi-amp 55w per channel to the mid range driver, 55w per channel to the tweeter and 160w to the dual 6 inch driver subwoofer. So if yer rockin out to zep or tweekin to floyd your nicely covered

Quote Originally Posted by Capoandrew View Post
    Howdy all, just dropping in for my monthly gander and I saw the post by TTC. Since having the Triumph, I've been doing a lot of night riding. The lights are absolute shite!! So, keen to read the end conclusions.

Interesting there are so many different perspectives and opinions on LED lights. Some rave, some scorn and a lot sit on the fence. It really is very confusing.

Oh and if I'm not back for a while, Happy Xmas ya mottley crew!! LOL (raising a Guinness to ya all!)
    Andrew old bean, do not follow any of my advice im ehh stumbling around in the dark here a tad. Me I'd like to see MA do a a review of all the various types with pros and cons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COB Light.jpg 
Size:	456.5 KB 
ID:	347785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED HL over HdlBr.jpg 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	347786

These two pics show the 60W/6K lumens (120W/12K total) LED's I installed on my Capo. The orientation is important but if it's wrong you just unscrew the bulb and reinsert it 180 degrees out. The low beam draws 30W each side and when you switch on the high beam both high and low are lit ( the low beam COB's stay on). The COB's (chip-on-board) LED's throw a much more even pattern than the original H4 bulbs. The increase in output is astonishing. I had to remove the inner rubber ring from the water shield to get them to fit but it is no big deal. The Capo's have about 50mm clearance from bulb flange to fork tubes so look at the drawing of the dimensions of the bulb to be sure they are shorter than 50mm flange to back. I just changed the H4's in my wife's CanAm Spyder STS to 120W/12K lumens total LED's and they are a tremendous improvement. Straight H4 bulbs are 1.5K lumens either high or low beam so the LED's represent a 2X /4X light output increase.This should be a mandatory improvement on any bike you own.

KB
    Ken those cob jobboes look the biz and i did consider em but wanted that cut off dealio to prevent scatter. Now thats not to say that that yours scatter it just in terms of my limited understanding that shroud yoke seemed to limit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
    I guess...I'm really struggling with the type of light LED's throw down. While it's obvious they are bright I find myself having difficulty seeing the detail of darker objects, rocks, curbs - things in natural shadows when compared to regular H4 type bulbs, especially on high beam (H4). Now there is no denying (from my observation) that LEDs will dance off reflective street signs far and away out of regular field of view of H4 lights, I just don't find the light they throw off particularly usable for riding at night unless used with the standard lamps (e..g., as aux lights).

Like many cities, our street lights have been replaced with LEDs and it is the same thing - bright to look at but street illumination - poor. Now all that said it's very possible my eyes are not tuned to the spectrum of white the LEDs throw out. I do use LED lamps for work lights in confined spaces, etc., but that's different (for me) than using them as primary visual lighting when riding.
    Interesting view point Matt. Again i dont know my arse from my elbow here. At the mo my capo lights are kinda orangey and perhaps "should be brighter?" To me bright is bright and so long as i have greater depth without being flashed I'm kinda aok! Time will tell eh.

So i finally finished cleaning the garaiste and put the old gal on the bench for reassembly.

Ok so 3 o'clock 9 o'clock orientation has been achieved compliments of a sharp knife and super duper glue.
    And here's dipped, sans spots. Bike is up on a lift.

Hot spot is midway up that weight bar.

And full beam. Hotspot is 3/4's up the bar by the stairs.

All very unscientific obviously lol but nevertheless a marked improvement over the previous vertical orientation. Cheers MA!

Anyway, its all just garage meddling until i do a proper night run on major and minor roads to see what we can see.

By the by i replaced the halo parking side light thingymajiggy with a t10 cree led yoke

Way way brighter than the yellowey halogen jobbie.
    Also ordered a truck load of t21 wedge led bulbs to replace the brake/tail light bulbs of the capo and dr too
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum prov-nov Kennibear's Avatar
    Zero hot spots with the COB's. Wish I had a pics of the before and after as I used my garage door as a target but it was dead even edge to edge. Having aimed all my cars and bikes for the last 45 years I have seen a few light patterns in my time and to say I was stunned by the even illumination of the COB's is an understatement.
    The light generation of a COB is a broad based source that even a filiment cannot match. Each chip is about 8mm X 12mm and high and low beam have two each ( four total on when the high beams are activated) so the reflector is saturated across the total surface.
    Truly amazing and I only buy quadrahedon COB LED's for replacement bulbs from now on.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    Zero hot spots with the COB's. Wish I had a pics of the before and after as I used my garage door as a target but it was dead even edge to edge. Having aimed all my cars and bikes for the last 45 years I have seen a few light patterns in my time and to say I was stunned by the even illumination of the COB's is an understatement.
    The light generation of a COB is a broad based source that even a filiment cannot match. Each chip is about 8mm X 12mm and high and low beam have two each ( four total on when the high beams are activated) so the reflector is saturated across the total surface.
    Truly amazing and I only buy quadrahedon COB LED's for replacement bulbs from now on.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
    Ken have you a link for the ones you fitted?
    By hotspots i meant area of greatest brightness ie the focus but I suppose a hotspot is a hotspot
    Also looking at my pics my bloody aux spots are on (five beers in by time of write up, hiccup).
    I'll photo some night shots from my gate down to the garage tonight and post em up for a proper look.

Of note is the fact that I found one of the headlight tabs tat secure it was broken and accounted for an annoying ocassional rattle. After fixing it my light now deffo needa re aiming as its too high.
    Brum Brum

Re. Very bright white lights.
    My question (and not a statement!) is are they best for seeing in the dark?
    Thinking of the old French yellow headlights, and yellow night driving spectacles, if indeed they are any good.

Edit Yellow French headlights now illegal. The internet says they were introduced to identify French cars during WWII, and Yellow driving glasses deemed dangerous in USA.

Biggest problem for me with the Capo at night is that the headlights are fixed to the frame not the handlebars. So on a corner we are not seeing around the corner. I assume that the side lights help in this. The latest cars have steering activated side lighting which illuminates the kerbs on corners, although only of use in low speed urban situations.
    Last edited by brmbrm; 01-29-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    Re. Very bright white lights.
    My question (and not a statement!) is are they best for seeing in the dark?
    Thinking of the old French yellow headlights, and yellow night driving spectacles, if indeed they are any good.

Biggest problem for me with the Capo at night is that the headlights are fixed to the frame not the handlebars. So on a corner we are not seeing around the corner. I assume that the side lights help in this. The latest cars have steering activated side lighting which illuminates the kerbs on corners, although only of use in low speed urban situations.

I have two spots mounted low down on the rr sump gaurd with them shinning low and out a bit they light the kerb without dazzling oncoming traffic there. Both 35w hid goes with the 55w hid headlights and led sidelight I've been thinking about led setup but I'm happy with the hid when the go I'll change to the led

That sounds a good arrangement Geoff.
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

Quote Originally Posted by brmbrm View Post
    That sounds a good arrangement Geoff.
    Probly the best lights I've had on a road bike Dave best I've ever had was a endurance fairing on a rc45

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast