Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Light.

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar

More Light.

Using the bike a bit more lately, including the odd bit of commuting, which incidentally I haven't done in a decade. Anyway, it's fair evident the smart phones are using up any available attention surplus the drones have.

Im guessing a combined 30w of cree led aux lights should help ?
    I haven't much of a bog when it comes to this craic so am looking for advice. Is 30w overkill? I'm kinda looking for just about the safe side of overkill tbh.

Being time and cash poor I'm lookin for something like this
    http://ural-france.fr/epages/box2905...0&Locale=en_GB
    ....but made of chinesium.

Well, they're all probably made there, but what I'm after is an "acceptable quality knockoff" at a realistic price.
    A loom and relay like in the link would rock, haven't the time nor inclination to be dicking about with this. Dont want roundy, the square ones are what I'm after.

Also the led bulbs that are available for the headlight....any good? My dipped is very orangey and not as bright, must meter the output...
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum Member
    I had some square ones on my DR. I think they were 20w each, 4 LEDs in each. I bought one that was slightly more focussed than the other, but they weren't very different.
    They were an eBay special.

As for the stock headlamp, have you tried some brighter lamps? Osram nightbreakers are good. Might be worth checking what voltage you're getting at the lamps as well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by finnerz89 View Post
    I had some square ones on my DR. I think they were 20w each, 4 LEDs in each. I bought one that was slightly more focussed than the other, but they weren't very different.
    They were an eBay special.

As for the stock headlamp, have you tried some brighter lamps? Osram nightbreakers are good. Might be worth checking what voltage you're getting at the lamps as well.

Hey man!
    Yeah id say the bulb is a cheapo from a garage from way back.
    Cant help wondering if those led ones are any good though.

Were your led's used for lighting your way or for being seen?
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_toe_cutter View Post
    Hey man!
    Yeah id say the bulb is a cheapo from a garage from way back.
    Cant help wondering if those led ones are any good though.

Were your led's used for lighting your way or for being seen?
    Both mate, they threw out a lot of light, but pretty much everywhere.
    If I was to get some again I'd go ones with as narrow a beam pattern as possible

H4 led lamps are not quite ready yet and are not cheep last time I looked into them they was 50 a lamp and there's the problem of the heat sink or fan on the back that gives of a lot of heat and there's not a lot of space behind the headlight I still have hid 55w x2 headlights with two 35w spots low down on the raid sump gaurd the simplest way is good lamps the Osram night brakers are good but don't go for 100w ones as it my overheat the plastic glass I tend to run with the sidelight ( led) and the spots on Whitch gives the triangle of light pattern. On the dr big I've fitted 2 cheep led spots off eBay ( 12 there the ones that come with a cage round them like the posh bmw ones ) they are 18w and have 3 modes 1. Full power 2. 50% power 3. Pulse. I run them on 50% power most of the time but in traffic I use pulse you can switch modes by switching them on / off

apriliaforum expert ravenranger's Avatar
    I did an H4 LED conversion on my Capo and and very happy with it. Worlds better light that the stock H4 and a cleaner pattern than the HID conversion I'd done previously.

I ordered this SEALIGHT X2 LED conversion kit from Amazon CLINK HERE FOR LINK. I went with these bc they claimed to be waterproof. So far, so good.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250
    IBA#22798 is now #580 AMA#601202

Quote Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
    I did an H4 LED conversion on my Capo and and very happy with it. Worlds better light that the stock H4 and a cleaner pattern than the HID conversion I'd done previously.

I ordered this SEALIGHT X2 LED conversion kit from Amazon CLINK HERE FOR LINK. I went with these bc they claimed to be waterproof. So far, so good.
    How are they for space behind and heat build up That's a good price too may see what the price is shipped to the uk I'm happy with the hid kit the spread is not the best but I can see all the road and don't get flashed by oncoming cars it tends to dazzle cars I catch up they tend to move there rear view mirror I run dip and spots at night don't need high beem mutch my mate with a gtr1400 says my light are the best he as ever seen at night and we have done a lot of remote Spanish roads at night when the ferry gets in to Bilbo at 20'00 and you need to be in Valencia in the morning

apriliaforum expert ravenranger's Avatar
    They fit in just fine without the rubbers and I have the igniter boxes tucked into the cheeks of the fairing. They have fans that run and keep them cool so haven't had any over-heating issues with them.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250
    IBA#22798 is now #580 AMA#601202

On the "ex-Capo", I used some Cyclops H4 LED globes and Cyclops round auxillary lights. On high beam they would almost strip paint!! Fekking awesome.
    The aux lights can be run as running lights at half power and full power for driving lights.

Hey, they aren't exactly cheap, but exceptional quality. I can't recommend these guys enough.

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid bars, bar clamp, seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. MG hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block. H&B side racks. Trax Evo panniers. Tourfella top box Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

http://capoandrew.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capoandrew View Post
    On the "ex-Capo", I used some Cyclops H4 LED globes and Cyclops round auxillary lights. On high beam they would almost strip paint!! Fekking awesome.
    The aux lights can be run as running lights at half power and full power for driving lights.

Hey, they aren't exactly cheap, but exceptional quality. I can't recommend these guys enough.
    Hope you took them off before it went

You bet I did Geoff!!

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid bars, bar clamp, seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. MG hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block. H&B side racks. Trax Evo panniers. Tourfella top box Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

http://capoandrew.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capoandrew View Post
    You bet I did Geoff!!
    Raped her like a ......(you fill in the blanks)
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

apriliaforum Member
    I'm liking these Cyclops!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
    They fit in just fine without the rubbers and I have the igniter boxes tucked into the cheeks of the fairing. They have fans that run and keep them cool so haven't had any over-heating issues with them.
    Raven, question for you....you reckon these would be an easier install
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ralbay-8000...=h4+led+no+fan
    Im thinking the heat dissipation belts might allow for the rubber covers to be used? Most pics of these belt type units in use show the rubbers in place.
    Btw: were the oem capo securing wire clips usable without mods in holding the new led units?
    Any other issues you encountered or tips you can give would be appreciated.
    Brum Brum

I don't ride my capo much at night so can't really comment on the performance of the headlamps but do have some experience with upgrades on other vehicles.

My aging VW campers headlamps were so poor it was actually dangerous to drive on the dark country lanes where I live so I had to sort them out a few years ago, I tried going the HID kit route with mixed results. There was more light output for sure however it wasn't at all well focused on the cheap kit I used, after complaints for oncoming motorists and the local airfield I concluded the aim was far too high and eventually had the aim adjustment so low to control these issues that the light throw forward was no better than with the standard H4 bulbs set up.

I was not alone and on the excellent VW forum one of the chaps is an auto electrician who came up with a solution, he worked out that the standard vehicle loom was marginal at best at delivering the current for standard bulbs let alone when people were trying uprated ones so he designed a plug in wiring loom complete with relays which connected with the vehicles battery, existing headlamp wiring and Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. So in effect the looms relays are switched by the vehicles wiring and connect the headlamp bulbs directly to the battery, the results brilliant with headlamp performance as good as my wife's modern car.

I actually have made up one of these looms for my KLX 250 and used the Osram bulb as I commute of this bike at all hours and its a big upgrade on that bike as well.

This is the type of kit I used on my van http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_i...oducts_id=5041

These are the type of relay I soldered in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-PCS-Min....c100506.m3226

It maybe that HID kits are far better now but my experience wasn't a positive one and here in the UK they are now not legal on cars unless factory fitted!

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast