Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68

Thread: Heated Grips for 2017 Tuono

  1. #46
    apriliaforum expert SoulDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Marcos, California, USA
    Posts
    16,204
    Couldn't find the price on the coolrides. Wondering if the old Gen1 electrics would handle them.

  2. #47
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Posts
    9
    I'm new to the Aprilia family. I just bought a '17 Tuono Factory. I should have it next week.

    I want to add heated grips to the Tuono. The Koso Apollo look like they will do what I want. Do they fit well, or do they require trimming of the grips? Was it straight forward to run the wires back to the battery? Any tricks to share?

    I'm up for the work .. just wanted to mentally prepare.

    I look forward to learning and contributing to the forum.

    Joel

  3. #48
    apriliaforum Member bigrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Helitronix View Post
    I'm new to the Aprilia family. I just bought a '17 Tuono Factory. I should have it next week.

    I want to add heated grips to the Tuono. The Koso Apollo look like they will do what I want. Do they fit well, or do they require trimming of the grips? Was it straight forward to run the wires back to the battery? Any tricks to share?

    I'm up for the work .. just wanted to mentally prepare.

    I look forward to learning and contributing to the forum.

    Joel
    These are better looking and by all accounts work well Yamaha heated grips. I have got a set but not fitted yet. You evidently need to trim back the collar from the ATC switch assembly to get a good close fit.
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

  4. #49
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Posts
    9
    The Yamaha heated grips look fine, though I was concerned with the longevity of the switch assembly. From the photo, it looks like it uses a membrane switch pad. I have not had great long term service out of membrane keypads in a variety of devices over the years. The buttons tend to crack and look poor over time. So I went with the Koso Apollo instead because the switch looks more robust. Of course, I may be misinterpreting the construction of the Yamaha switch since I haven't seen it in person. Either way, the Koso's are on their way. Once I have them installed, I can post back here to provide any feedback on their install.

    Joel

  5. #50
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    CAERNARFON
    Posts
    23

    Yamaha heated grips

    Quote Originally Posted by Helitronix View Post
    The Yamaha heated grips look fine, though I was concerned with the longevity of the switch assembly. From the photo, it looks like it uses a membrane switch pad. I have not had great long term service out of membrane keypads in a variety of devices over the years. The buttons tend to crack and look poor over time. So I went with the Koso Apollo instead because the switch looks more robust. Of course, I may be misinterpreting the construction of the Yamaha switch since I haven't seen it in person. Either way, the Koso's are on their way. Once I have them installed, I can post back here to provide any feedback on their install.

    Joel
    For anyone considering buying the yamaha heated grips.......dont waste your money....they are a load of crap. The heat output is not sufficient to keep your hands warm.
    I have had oxford and oem ktm grips in the past and both gave out loads more heat..So dont waste your money on these grips like I just have..

  6. #51
    apriliaforum expert cmutza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by Helitronix View Post
    The Yamaha heated grips look fine, though I was concerned with the longevity of the switch assembly. From the photo, it looks like it uses a membrane switch pad. I have not had great long term service out of membrane keypads in a variety of devices over the years. The buttons tend to crack and look poor over time. So I went with the Koso Apollo instead because the switch looks more robust. Of course, I may be misinterpreting the construction of the Yamaha switch since I haven't seen it in person. Either way, the Koso's are on their way. Once I have them installed, I can post back here to provide any feedback on their install.

    Joel
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Kosos. Please post photos as well, interested to see what needs to be done to make the clutch side work with the TC switch there.

  7. #52
    apriliaforum Member bigrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    For anyone considering buying the yamaha heated grips.......dont waste your money....they are a load of crap. The heat output is not sufficient to keep your hands warm.
    I have had oxford and oem ktm grips in the past and both gave out loads more heat..So dont waste your money on these grips like I just have..
    Hmmm just getting them for Christmas, be interested to hear from anyone else who has them fitted cos Markey liked them??
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

  8. #53
    apriliaforum Member bigrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    For anyone considering buying the yamaha heated grips.......dont waste your money....they are a load of crap. The heat output is not sufficient to keep your hands warm.
    I have had oxford and oem ktm grips in the past and both gave out loads more heat..So dont waste your money on these grips like I just have..
    Are you sure that you have them set correctly for the >600cc motorbike and not a scooter?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha_Heated_grips__64463.1442940347.1000.1000.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	347661
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

  9. #54
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    CAERNARFON
    Posts
    23
    Yes I set them up correctly....max output is only 22 watts, compared to other heated grips which are circa 40 watts......

  10. #55
    apriliaforum expert mikef4uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chester UK
    Posts
    5,187
    Glad I read your post regarding the Yamaha grips before I bought them

    I am using R&G and theyre just about hot enough down to about 8/10c, mind you I wear sports gloves as well but saying that they are thinner so get more heat transfer, I tried thicker gloves and my hands were colder.

    R&G's are rated at 48W per pair, so the Yamaha grips would have had me with very cold hands

  11. #56
    apriliaforum prov-nov Boatdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ungoverned Washington (State)
    Posts
    30
    My bike has the Oxford grips on it and I can attest to the fact that they get WARM!

  12. #57
    apriliaforum Member Fire_2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    220
    Really impressed with my oxford grips also normally run them around 20% / 40% as anything higher is way too hot!

  13. #58
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    For anyone considering buying the yamaha heated grips.......dont waste your money....they are a load of crap. The heat output is not sufficient to keep your hands warm.
    I have had oxford and oem ktm grips in the past and both gave out loads more heat..So dont waste your money on these grips like I just have..
    I agree, I had the Yamaha grips on my MT and they were useless! I did hear the latest ones were better though.

  14. #59
    apriliaforum expert Markey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Swansea UK
    Posts
    1,035
    Well i got to be honest I'm shocked by some of these comments - guess were all different

    Mate of mine has the Oxford Hot Grips and we both thought mine were hotter than his

  15. #60
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fastville
    Posts
    564
    just because other grips might have more power and even get hotter that doesn't make the Yamaha ones useless (I've had both)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
  2. [Capo] Frame and fork protectors and OEM heated grips for Caponord 1200 - Australia
    By fredaroony in forum Aprilia Parts and Accessories for Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM
  3. Best heated grip for our beloved
    By BigK in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 07:31 AM
  4. Heated grips for $12.50!
    By apriliajohn in forum SL1000 Falco Forum (all years)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM
  5. Fitting heated grips to my Tuono
    By BikerBen in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •