Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Heated Grips for 2017 Tuono

Couldn't find the price on the coolrides. Wondering if the old Gen1 electrics would handle them.

apriliaforum newb
    I'm new to the Aprilia family. I just bought a '17 Tuono Factory. I should have it next week.

I want to add heated grips to the Tuono. The Koso Apollo look like they will do what I want. Do they fit well, or do they require trimming of the grips? Was it straight forward to run the wires back to the battery? Any tricks to share?

I'm up for the work .. just wanted to mentally prepare.

I look forward to learning and contributing to the forum.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Helitronix View Post
    I'm new to the Aprilia family. I just bought a '17 Tuono Factory. I should have it next week.

I want to add heated grips to the Tuono. The Koso Apollo look like they will do what I want. Do they fit well, or do they require trimming of the grips? Was it straight forward to run the wires back to the battery? Any tricks to share?

I'm up for the work .. just wanted to mentally prepare.

I look forward to learning and contributing to the forum.

Joel
    These are better looking and by all accounts work well Yamaha heated grips. I have got a set but not fitted yet. You evidently need to trim back the collar from the ATC switch assembly to get a good close fit.
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

apriliaforum newb
    The Yamaha heated grips look fine, though I was concerned with the longevity of the switch assembly. From the photo, it looks like it uses a membrane switch pad. I have not had great long term service out of membrane keypads in a variety of devices over the years. The buttons tend to crack and look poor over time. So I went with the Koso Apollo instead because the switch looks more robust. Of course, I may be misinterpreting the construction of the Yamaha switch since I haven't seen it in person. Either way, the Koso's are on their way. Once I have them installed, I can post back here to provide any feedback on their install.

Joel

apriliaforum newb

Yamaha heated grips

The Yamaha heated grips look fine, though I was concerned with the longevity of the switch assembly. From the photo, it looks like it uses a membrane switch pad. I have not had great long term service out of membrane keypads in a variety of devices over the years. The buttons tend to crack and look poor over time. So I went with the Koso Apollo instead because the switch looks more robust. Of course, I may be misinterpreting the construction of the Yamaha switch since I haven't seen it in person. Either way, the Koso's are on their way. Once I have them installed, I can post back here to provide any feedback on their install.

Joel
    For anyone considering buying the yamaha heated grips.......dont waste your money....they are a load of crap. The heat output is not sufficient to keep your hands warm.
    I have had oxford and oem ktm grips in the past and both gave out loads more heat..So dont waste your money on these grips like I just have..

Joel
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Kosos. Please post photos as well, interested to see what needs to be done to make the clutch side work with the TC switch there.

Quote Originally Posted by ianjones View Post
    For anyone considering buying the yamaha heated grips.......dont waste your money....they are a load of crap. The heat output is not sufficient to keep your hands warm.
    I have had oxford and oem ktm grips in the past and both gave out loads more heat..So dont waste your money on these grips like I just have..
    Hmmm just getting them for Christmas, be interested to hear from anyone else who has them fitted cos Markey liked them??
    The Third Law of Human Dynamics: For every opportunity to communicate there is an equal and opposite opportunity to misunderstand

Are you sure that you have them set correctly for the >600cc motorbike and not a scooter?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha_Heated_grips__64463.1442940347.1000.1000.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	347661

apriliaforum newb
    Yes I set them up correctly....max output is only 22 watts, compared to other heated grips which are circa 40 watts......

Glad I read your post regarding the Yamaha grips before I bought them

I am using R&G and theyre just about hot enough down to about 8/10c, mind you I wear sports gloves as well but saying that they are thinner so get more heat transfer, I tried thicker gloves and my hands were colder.

R&G's are rated at 48W per pair, so the Yamaha grips would have had me with very cold hands

apriliaforum prov-nov Boatdriver's Avatar
    My bike has the Oxford grips on it and I can attest to the fact that they get WARM!

Really impressed with my oxford grips also normally run them around 20% / 40% as anything higher is way too hot!

apriliaforum Member
    I agree, I had the Yamaha grips on my MT and they were useless! I did hear the latest ones were better though.

Well i got to be honest I'm shocked by some of these comments - guess were all different

Mate of mine has the Oxford Hot Grips and we both thought mine were hotter than his

apriliaforum expert
    just because other grips might have more power and even get hotter that doesn't make the Yamaha ones useless (I've had both)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast