Thread: Ducati 999s 2003

apriliaforum prov-nov

Ducati 999s 2003

Bought the 2003 Ducati 999s with only 2200 miles on it and it is lovely, I also have 2003 tuono and 2003 rsvr edwards edition. Love all my bikes!!, my favourite is the tuono, we have had to work through a few teething problems, charging mod, leaky fuel pipe, duff starter solenoid, lower gearing etc. I think if anything the Ducati is more advanced certainly electrically being on the canbus wiring although it does have it's faults too, random check engine light, massively tall gearing and a riding position similar to sitting a toilet with your hands in the floor, I put this down to its italianness, they were so close to being perfect with all these bikes only the Italians would let them roll out with these flaws!! Maybe it's why we love them.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    I had to laugh- on the "riding" position of course it is an "s" model. A set of aftermarket clip on's and rear sets and it will almost be comfortable .... enjoy the new duc
    present
    Now a Gen2 "Factory" Tuono
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home pictured

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

I used to describe the riding position on my 748 as a torture rack that you climb on and enjoy.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, NGK iridium plugs, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Both riding position descriptions apt. Never thought about aftermarket clip one.. ..

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    i had a 999 2003 for a few years, i really liked it, i replaced all the wiring loom with a 2005 749 loom, far superior. mine would have that random orange engine light come on, the dealer-workshop couldn't fix it, they had had a few with the same issue. I put my google fu to work and found someone who had cured his management light random glowing. You pull the dash, the instrument dash, it pulls straight toward you.Un plug it, Then open up the back exposing the back of the instrument board, And sprayed the back with electrical cleaner, lightly dried with paper tissues, did this twice, then lightly air dried with compressed air (carefully) put back together, and it never happened again. (20,000Ks later i sold it)
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Good information thanks, when it comes back on I will do that.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by raffystuono View Post
    Good information thanks, when it comes back on I will do that.
    Another tip, the early 999s had a weak earth, the battery to the frame was a poor earth, so an extra cable is placed from the earth terminal on the battery to the frame, or where you can find a good earthing point. The 999 is an interesting bike to work on.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler.