Thread: Monster 1200 questions

apriliaforum Member

Monster 1200 questions

So I had my heart set on buying a 2016 Tuono factory with super pole graphics until I rode one today and discovered the ergos don't work for me. Despite the raised handle bars I'm still leaning to far forward which puts to much pressure on my wrists and elbows. There is a option to add risers that raise the bars up and to the rear about 3" but I don't want to go through the hassle of adding risers and then discover the ergos still don't fit me. I want to be able to ride the bike about 200 miles round trip and certainly don't want to spend 15K+/- and find out I can't ride the bike comfortable. So I checked out a Monster 1200 and the ergos seem to fit a bit better so I'm asking for input on how these bikes handle, maintenance intervals, issues to be aware of. I really wanted to like the Tuono but there was a big difference when just sitting on the bike in the showroom and actually riding it :-(

You can use http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see how different bikes compare to each other. Assuming you're about 5'8", a Tuono with a 3" higher handlebar has considerably less "hip angle" than the Monster 1200 does stock. You can use the Vehicle Customization section to try different handlebar positions.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emdashdash View Post
    You can use http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see how different bikes compare to each other. Assuming you're about 5'8", a Tuono with a 3" higher handlebar has considerably less "hip angle" than the Monster 1200 does stock. You can use the Vehicle Customization section to try different handlebar positions.
    I'm 5-11 and weight about 225.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    I'm 5-11 and weight about 225.
    Do you have shortish arms? I'm only 5'9" and I'm on the balls of my feet at a stop, but I find it OK, I bought the risers as my arms are a little short I think. I didn't fit them in the end because I didn't see the need. Don't forget if you are riding at speed the airflow supports your body quite a bit. If you are completely comfortable at a stop you may find yourself being pushed back by the airflow. Either way I'm sue the Monster would be a great choice.

Cheers

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    So I had my heart set on buying a 2016 Tuono factory with super pole graphics until I rode one today and discovered the ergos don't work for me. Despite the raised handle bars I'm still leaning to far forward which puts to much pressure on my wrists and elbows. There is a option to add risers that raise the bars up and to the rear about 3" but I don't want to go through the hassle of adding risers and then discover the ergos still don't fit me. I want to be able to ride the bike about 200 miles round trip and certainly don't want to spend 15K+/- and find out I can't ride the bike comfortable. So I checked out a Monster 1200 and the ergos seem to fit a bit better so I'm asking for input on how these bikes handle, maintenance intervals, issues to be aware of. I really wanted to like the Tuono but there was a big difference when just sitting on the bike in the showroom and actually riding it :-(
    The 1198 engine is a sweet totally proven reliable motor, i test road the Monster, and the 1290R KTM, i was so close to buying the the Ducati, i love that motor, the KTM is very comfortable also, but the seat height is a little higher, The monster handles typical Ducati, rock solid. Its a great bike, but its amongst stiff competition in this market, but its aimed more for the rider that likes the finer points of riding enjoyment in typical Ducati fashion. Cool looking bike, will hold its value better also, and theres after market pannier bags and frame available for them.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Do you have shortish arms? I'm only 5'9" and I'm on the balls of my feet at a stop, but I find it OK, I bought the risers as my arms are a little short I think. I didn't fit them in the end because I didn't see the need. Don't forget if you are riding at speed the airflow supports your body quite a bit. If you are completely comfortable at a stop you may find yourself being pushed back by the airflow. Either way I'm sue the Monster would be a great choice.

Cheers
    My arms are average length for my height and I have no problem flat footing the Tuono or monster at a stop. The test ride with the Tuono consisted of back roads accompanied by a employee from the dealership and he kept the ride pretty tame. I don't think I hit 6th gear or 50 mph on the test ride.

I've owned two Multistrada 1200s, a 2012 and a 2016, and I find the Tuono 1100 engine to be vastly more fun so I'd look into making the Tuono fit you. 200 miles is a totally reasonable ride (with a fill-up or two), even though it'll never be the most comfortable thing out there. I installed handlebars on mine that are about 1" taller than stock and it's at least as comfortable as the Street Triple it replaced. Do you have a dealer for each close by? I wouldn't want either one without some fairly close support.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I am about your height and weight. I just traded in a Monster 821 for the Tuono Factory. The Monster 1200 ergos is about the same as the 821. I did the same research but the test ride on the Tuono just sealed the deal. Compared to my 821, the Tuono has the awesome chassis, motor, and suspension. It is a really smooth riding experience with no annoying vibrations, excellent handling, incredible power, and confidence inspiring. Based on the cycle ergo site, I would have to install the Mana Riser and lower the Footpegs about an inch to get into a similar postion like the Monster. However, after riding the Tuono for about 200 miles I find that am pretty comfortable on it. I decided not to do the ergo mods for now.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Jay

==========================

2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory.

Cagiva alternative to Ducati Monster

After sadly writing off my Futura and nearly myself a couple of years back having had a chat with a VRaptor owner , I tried to get one but settled upon a naked version. However I did aquire a V Raptor but even with power pipes and a Commander box of tricks, my Mille has the same but too many bikes I resold it as it did nothing my Roadster one couldnt with its revised mapping and gearing.
    I went to Ireland on my Raptor 1000,which as Cagiva owned Ducatti for a while, then took the Monster frame designer over to MvAugusta when they were taken over by Cagiva and basically produced a Trelis Monster frame alike and rather than the first Cagiva, Not Harley ones) Badged V Twins utilising Ducati motors. they placed the Suzuki TLs engine into them.
    apart from limited carrying capacity and the weather being blustery and darnright torrential after a week in Portrush for the NW 200 +a night in Balleymoney,then across to Ballycastle and along the Causeway Coastal scenic route down to Larne and finally via their A/M2 into Belfast and later a very rough Irish Sea Ferry back to Birkenhead similar conditions to some a week later on a NW500 Jock run, When I arrived in the Hotel car park there was a Monster looking very like my MV framed Italian Stallion even down to the seat style.
    very comfy to ride despite some awfull conditions at times the bike did not faulter, the handling brilliant ,if a tad more open road Sweeping corner friendly than scratching back roads , point and squirt like the Futura )
    which to be honest I was in a minority,never got to grips with its riding position ,despite risers which were on the dang thing when I took my eye off the ball or as some say ran out of talent on/off it )It was an insurance write off and I had to have some knee surgery. )however as all good things come to an end I am concentrating on turning my hardly ridden Mille into a Tuono,if the clip on risers I bought dont improve its back breaking stance, its handling whatever is sublime but my back and neck, after just a very few miles !
    Also another neglected steed an Aptilia Atlantic 500 which is very comfy,might well be pressed into service for long runs, as it is more practical for longer trips.
    At 66 now don't want to give up the thrill of biking but the old Scoot has a fair turn of speed and no gears for lazy day riding too.

Cagiva brand seems to be getting noticed as a great alternative ride to the run of the mill stuff so folk are beginning to recognise their worth.Attachment 350096Attachment 350097Attachment 350098
    Last edited by GBt; 01-25-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Check out the BMW S1000R. I've ridden all the monsters (and current Ducati lineup), the Tuono, and the S1000R and while it was not the most exciting bike character wise I always remark how the ergos were probably the most comfortable of any of these bikes. Bars were at the perfect height, the pegs felt as if it was a standard and not rearset config, and I felt it would be a great all day rider or commuter.

apriliaforum Member
    I checked out a s1000r and didn't like the riding ergo's nor the wind blast although wind blast can be mitigated with the addition of a screen. The best price I could find on the s1000r was 15700 which was a great price for a 2017 but still more than I wanted to pay for a second bike. I finally decided on a 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R that I paid 11200 plus tax, tags etc. For some reason the riding position on the ZX14R fit me perfectly and the price was right. The ZX14R doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive bikes but performance and handling is great.