Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Pulled the charcoal canister off my 17 RR....

  1. #1
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,038

    Pulled the charcoal canister off my 17 RR....

    This weekend I was bored so I decided to pull the charcoal canister off of my 17 RR. Little bit of a pain but not bad. It actually helps my bike run about 5 degrees cooler on average and helps the fan do its job....I was amazed actually. Win Win!

  2. #2
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Chelsea, MA
    Posts
    9
    How much did it weigh?

  3. #3
    apriliaforum Junkie Blackfin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    403
    I've looked at my 17 Factory and often wondered if part of the reason the thing runs so hot in traffic is because of the placement of the canister on the left-side and the exhaust servo on the right side; both seem to effectively block airflow from the back-side of the rad.

    What steps were required to remove the thing?

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchwv View Post
    How much did it weigh?
    Not much.....maybe 6 ounces.....

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    I've looked at my 17 Factory and often wondered if part of the reason the thing runs so hot in traffic is because of the placement of the canister on the left-side and the exhaust servo on the right side; both seem to effectively block airflow from the back-side of the rad.

    What steps were required to remove the thing?
    The servo on the right and the canister on the left, IMO, definitely play a part in the lack of cooling on this bike especially with the fans on. There is just nowhere for the air to go!

    Basic steps were the following:

    - Remove front and rear seat
    - Remove left tank side cover
    - Remove left front side panel
    - Unbolt canister holder assembly from frame
    - Cut ty-wraps holding canister to holder assembly
    - I cut the lines above the clamp on the canister
    - Remove canister and pop the clamp on the rear most vent hose on the gas tank and pull hose off the nipple
    - Curse, cuss and swear as you try and pull the vent line with the check valve out from the rear.
    - Put a bolt in the smaller line that was on the canister and clamp it or use a ty-wrap. Make sure the bolt fits snugly. route the line and secure with the wires that are there.
    - Remove the connectors from the canister holder and secure connectors neatly with the other wires in the area.
    - Cut vent line to appropriate length and re-install on tank vent nipple and route straight down with the fuel overflow vent. I routed it right behind the sprocket guard behind the sprocket cover (perfect place) and secured with a couple ty-wraps.
    - Cut the majority of the canister holder (I just used a hack saw) and leave the part that mounts under the frame bolts that says V4 on it and maybe a bit that goes around the frame (it will be self explanatory).
    - Put everything back together and enjoy a cooler running, non-tank pressurizing bike, lol.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum Junkie Great Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    451
    When pulling the vent line out with the check valve, I'd recommend spraying some soapy water on the line for lubrication. It took no time at all when I did this on my 2016 MY.
    2016 Aprilia 1100 Tuono Factory

    "It is as impossible to withhold education from the receptive mind, as it is impossible to force it upon the unreasoning."

  7. #7
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
    The servo on the right and the canister on the left, IMO, definitely play a part in the lack of cooling on this bike especially with the fans on. There is just nowhere for the air to go!

    Basic steps were the following:

    - Remove front and rear seat
    - Remove left tank side cover
    - Remove left front side panel
    - Unbolt canister holder assembly from frame
    - Cut ty-wraps holding canister to holder assembly
    - I cut the lines above the clamp on the canister
    - Remove canister and pop the clamp on the rear most vent hose on the gas tank and pull hose off the nipple
    - Curse, cuss and swear as you try and pull the vent line with the check valve out from the rear.
    - Put a bolt in the smaller line that was on the canister and clamp it or use a ty-wrap. Make sure the bolt fits snugly. route the line and secure with the wires that are there.
    - Remove the connectors from the canister holder and secure connectors neatly with the other wires in the area.
    - Cut vent line to appropriate length and re-install on tank vent nipple and route straight down with the fuel overflow vent. I routed it right behind the sprocket guard behind the sprocket cover (perfect place) and secured with a couple ty-wraps.
    - Cut the majority of the canister holder (I just used a hack saw) and leave the part that mounts under the frame bolts that says V4 on it and maybe a bit that goes around the frame (it will be self explanatory).
    - Put everything back together and enjoy a cooler running, non-tank pressurizing bike, lol.
    Hi, can this procedure be reversed? Is it just to save weight or was the cooler running thing part of the reason? thx

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    When pulling the vent line out with the check valve, I'd recommend spraying some soapy water on the line for lubrication. It took no time at all when I did this on my 2016 MY.
    That is actually a great idea. Thanks for the input!

  9. #9
    apriliaforum prov-nov YellowSF848's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    64
    I'm thinking this is something I'm gonna have to do. My RR built up A LOT of hear the other day in traffic, enough that I began to worry about it..

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift_R View Post
    Hi, can this procedure be reversed? Is it just to save weight or was the cooler running thing part of the reason? thx
    It can be reversed but the way I cut the canister mount I would need to order a new one. I would never want to reverse it anyway, lol. The mod is mainly to prevent the current system from causing pressure build up in the tank when/if it malfunctions. The by product is you also get a slightly cooler running bike as well.

  11. #11
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSF848 View Post
    I'm thinking this is something I'm gonna have to do. My RR built up A LOT of hear the other day in traffic, enough that I began to worry about it..

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Well it won't eliminate it completely but it helps....it is a mod that is meant to prevent pressure build up in the gas tank.

  12. #12
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
    It can be reversed but the way I cut the canister mount I would need to order a new one. I would never want to reverse it anyway, lol. The mod is mainly to prevent the current system from causing pressure build up in the tank when/if it malfunctions. The by product is you also get a slightly cooler running bike as well.
    Excellent! thank you.

  13. #13
    apriliaforum prov-nov YellowSF848's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    64
    Yea, I know, I removed it off my streetfighter after they began have tank vacuum issues that Ducati refused to acknowledge.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    apriliaforum Member Catatafish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Memphis, TN USA
    Posts
    127
    It's also one less thing to get in your way during oil changes or hose work.

  15. #15
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    652
    Great write-up... Thanks for sharing. I wish you took some pics as you were doing it (still v. helpful).
    Questions: any issues if I just cut hoses at the canister and remove it, without rerouting anything? I understand that I need to plug that one line you mentioned. Also, is the vent nipple on the left side of the tank? I'm ready to disconnect that thing from the tank ASAP, even before I get a chance to properly get rid of the canister... I've been meaning to do it for weeks, and your post really motivated me

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pulled the slave cylinder off for cleaning - WHAT DID I DO?
    By motoed in forum RST1000 Futura (all years)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 06:40 AM
  2. I'm thinking the impossible....selling off my Mille
    By Chuck B in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 08:21 AM
  3. Pulling the rear tire off
    By Toddler in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 03:27 PM
  4. removal of the charcoal canister?
    By USA MEDIC in forum ETV1000 CapoNord (2001-2007)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 10:05 PM
  5. Can I pull the lighting coil from my flywheel?
    By maRRtin in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •