Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Click click click, or tick tick tick

apriliaforum prov-nov

Click click click, or tick tick tick

What is this noise on the stator side of the motor. The noise is pretty obnoxious. It feels like it is coming from above the stator cover. Are those injectors tucked in there?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Good question. I'm curious about all the ticking from my motor too. Aprilia dealer told me it was normal characteristic of the motor design. It seems noisier than any bike I've owned. It's a bit nerve racking pulling into gas station and getting stares from other riders. My deaf, Harley riding 80 y/o uncle commented on the motor noise "must be solid lifters".

Does it change with the clutch pulled in? I found the clutch quite noisy on mine.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbyter View Post
    Does it change with the clutch pulled in? I found the clutch quite noisy on mine.
    The sound is coming from the other side from what I can tell. It does not change with the clutch pulled in.

Winind: My friend said that it must have a dry clutch.

You need a new friend.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

hi , I had this as well and I was told the same as normal it is how there are , THIS IS NOT TRUE , there is a problem and I can tell you it is the Timing gear bush and the special bolt . see photo attached , if you hold a screw diver to the c-head and hold in on to your ear you will hear the working sound of the inside working and then do the other c-head and you will hear the different sound . my got replaces just this week as it done 8000 and the nose got louder, see photo,
    Name:  IMG_2469.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  109.0 KBName:  IMG_2470.JPG
Views: 513
Size:  131.6 KBName:  IMG_2471.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  75.9 KB

apriliaforum prov-nov
    How long did they take to fix it after finally finding the problem? You mention c head. Is this the front or rear cylinder? I would think that if it happened to one it will probably affect both.

apriliaforum Member
    When I bought my Rally 3 years ago I bitched at the dealer about the noise after only 400 miles. Got the same response 'that's a characteristic of the engine - nothing wrong here'. So after a few more miles, I forced the issue with the dealer, and he decided to investigate. Found the bushing in both cam gears to be totally worn out. Took a week and half to get the replacement parts in and couple of days to repair. All good now after 18500 miles.
    A quick check to see if the gears are out of spec is to observe the anti back lash teeth of the gear. If they are not aligned, it means that the clearance of the shaft an ID of the gear are excessive.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    Almost 1mm clearance of the shaft to the bushing ID. Makes a lot of noise!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    It sounds like it may be a little difficult for the dealer to respond. I am supposed to go in this Saturday. Should I mention this being a possible solution or just complain about the noise?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abnknows View Post
    It sounds like it may be a little difficult for the dealer to respond. I am supposed to go in this Saturday. Should I mention this being a possible solution or just complain about the noise?
    This is a known problem at the distributor level, and your dealer should call it in to the area manager. More than likely they should OK labor time to look after the noise. Seems that Aprilia was supplied with some very soft out of spec bushings for the cam drive gear. These problem gears have shown up all over the place and I'm not sure Aprilia really knows if there is a series of VIN numbers that are affected. At any rate the proper gears work well.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dograt View Post
    This is a known problem at the distributor level, and your dealer should call it in to the area manager. More than likely they should OK labor time to look after the noise. Seems that Aprilia was supplied with some very soft out of spec bushings for the cam drive gear. These problem gears have shown up all over the place and I'm not sure Aprilia really knows if there is a series of VIN numbers that are affected. At any rate the proper gears work well.

ps - My problem was detected early enough that the shafts were not destroyed.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Good news. They seen and heard the issue before. That is pretty disappointing that this would not be a tsb or warranty recall. I would think that this could be a catastrophic issue if not addressed quickly. Thanks again for chiming in. Hopefully they can get this fixed quickly. It will sound like a new bike...and with the lower gearing it will feel like it.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by abnknows; 08-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My dealer in Tampa let me take a demo 959 Ducati Panigale over the weekend since I live so far away. What a fun gorgeous motorcycle. I will never complain about the seat on the Capo after riding that for 800 miles. He offered me a GS1200 Adventure and said that he would not recommend it since I will want it after being on a Caponord (jokingly). I just can't get myself to like them. It is kind of like that Joke about Fat girls being fun, but not wanting to be caught on one.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    i'm at about 78k miles. i should probably have them look into this.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast