Thread: My throttle body is chirping

My throttle body is chirping

Yep, just like a little bird. Under acceleration I hear a definite chirping, tweeting and/or warbling sound from beneath the tank. As acceleration eases and pressure equilibrium is reached the sound dies off but with a blip of the throttle will return right away.

I just swapped motors and the chirping followed it. I have replaced about all the vacuum lines and double checked any connections.

Heard of this before? It becomes really super annoying. Will swap out the TBs with another set unless somebody's got an idea on this.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I've got no advice, but would love to see a video, just for entertainment purposes.
    Stuart
    2001 Falco

Will try ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big bird.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	336555

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Well hello Old Friend!

Ironically, I HAVE experienced this issue, but I'm not 100% sure what the LITERAL cure was.....allow me to explain.

A few years ago, I acquired a set of 57mm TB's that I intended to mount to my Bird.
    After sitting in a box for a year or so, I finally got around to the project but had a no-start issue. Frustrating diag lead to the conclusion that
    the injectors were clogged, and sent them off to AF1 for a douching. Crisis solved.

In the interim I had remounted my 51mm OEM Tb's to the engine, but had kept the CF Renegade AirKit with 57mm velocity stack cutouts in the base plate mounted to the OEM Tb's.
    Are you following with me?
    So, OEM velocity stacks did not completely fill the holes in the carbon fiber base plate, and therefore gave me a TWEETING sound on acceleration.
    It was kind of funny, but irritating -- as are SO MANY of my ill-fated, ham-fisted wrenching projects!!

I have since remounted the 57mm TB's and Correct Velocity Stack's on the Rengade Air Kit, and all is "normal" again.

Although I can't give you a direct corollary to your malady, I CAN relate loosely with my issue and suggest you look to see if you have the correct velocity stacks mounted to your TB's, and also if there's any unwanted space between the airbox mounting point. I can't remember what part numbers were correct for the different Stacks, but i do recall it was difficult to look at the two sizes and tell the difference off-hand. It's possible you have one or both mix-matched, and letting air into the venturis from unintended pathways.
    Or just simply check that theyre mounted securely to the TB base or airbox.

my 2c!

Good luck SD!

gr
    Last edited by ghostrider71; 07-08-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

Howdy, Nate old chum.

Good story, bro, but I guess I must be dealing with another issue and here's why ...

My bird began chirping previously when I ran the Evo open air box. Subsequent to the recent engine change I have had no air box whatsoever so those TBs are sitting there open, naked, and raw as they suck lustfully. It's so nasty! But they still tweet as much as Trump.

Today I will ruin their fun and put a full, complete and boring OEM airbox on them and see if it helps. If not, I'll get around to swapping them but right now it's just running so damn well I just don't want to mess it up. Plus it's a pain in the keester and hotter than balls around here besides.

Thanks for sharing!

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    I think what you are hearing is the perfectly normal sound of air "chirping" into the throttle bodies at light loads, a Renegade airbox is almost identical to no airbox so the commonality with the above poster is there. At light throttle openings the vacuum under the throttle plates is strong and the air literally whistles as it passes the plate to body gap at very high velocity, near the local speed of sound actually.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I see that, but it's only done this for a fairly short time and I've put over 40,000 miles on this motor, then about 50k on the one before that. This is a damn loud noise.

Maybe an audio or video clip would be more helpful than I first thought. They all do this, if it is the same noise I am thinking of ATM to some extent, the more open the airbox, the more it is noticeable.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

The full oem air box quiets it down a lot but it's still noticeable. Guess I'll just have to remove that db killer thing. Oh well.

Your bird is simply trying to attract a mate.
    Get those 57s on there - problem solved.

Cute. Perhaps it'll work!

They're 54s, actually, and I don't have the adjustable FPR.

I have never to date seen a set of 54mm modified TB's that actually seal correctly on the blades...this indeed makes a very noticeable chirp.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Well, all I can say is that I don't recall them doing it when I had them on several years ago. But then there's a lot I don't remember from several years ago. Or days, for that matter.

apriliaforum expert ghostrider71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    Your bird is simply trying to attract a mate.
    Get those 57s on there - problem solved.
    I lusted after a set of 57's for alot of years.
    After finally acquiring a set (minus the clogged injectors) and getting them mounted and
    tuned correctly, with "matching" GABRO Chip....the only really noticable difference is that my fuel economy
    went down by a about 3-5mpg's.

It runs smooth and strong, but no marked difference in overall performance without changing the Cams or Valves.
    Oh, and I'm running a set of Dual Aprilia/Akra racing pipes.

and further to Micah's comments....I seem to remember that the 54's were always prone to more issues, particularly due to the
    that flap needing to be modified.

gr
    Since it was highly recommended, I put THEGEEK on ignore and the forum IS a much nicer place!!

No experience with FI, but when I swapped the TRX's carbs for FCR flat slides I got a really piercing whistle/chirp any time the throttle was open - it was painfully loud... I used sponge pod filters so don't know if it was that what caused the noise, but both my KTM crossers made the same noise when I fitted FCRs...