Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD 1200 Engine Rebuild, New undercut gearbox. Need any pointers on what you would do.

apriliaforum prov-nov Mattix415's Avatar

Thumbs up DD 1200 Engine Rebuild, New undercut gearbox. Need any pointers on what you would do.

Hey Guys, a while back I made a thread about my bike slipping in gear. Got that checked out and i stripped 2nd....wheelies cost more than you think! So I have a whole new gearbox out of a bike that has done 5000km got 1st, 2nd and 3rd undercut, so when doing the gearbox on these bikes everything has to be split which then lead me to buy new bearings, seals, rings, washers and the list goes on. So I will be doing a full engine rebuild with some nice new parts but would like to know if there is anyone who can tell me what they would have done extra as the engine will be out and apart so if there is anything else which would be beneficial to the bike or me that advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am replacing all the bolts, just got my new gold Titanium kit from Pro Bolt and all axle nuts and triple clamps and disc bolts will be swapped out for some nice custom lookin stuff. Rims are being sprayed gold and custom sticker in the making. Pics of kit design will follow. If anyone can help me out with a template that will work as the past two templates i have used do not fit at all like they said they would.

So yeah just a friendly post seeking any tips or advice on anything else i can do whilst she is apart. (PS I am not doing the work myself, it is going off to a mechanic who has done 3 gear boxes in DD's before but will try get some pics and stuff to document it)

apriliaforum newb
    Damn bru...thats sounds amazing...well not the work but what you are doing to the bike. Greetings from a Saffa in Finland :-)

apriliaforum Member
    I have always wondered what the DD1200 would do with another 100cc's ( pistons) and a bit more aggressive cam profile....... T

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	336707
    So this is the sticker kit I'm busy with. Still a few more things to add but you can get an idea of what it will look like.

apriliaforum newb
    Looks great. Where did u get that

Gesendet von meinem SM-A520F mit Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    HI mattix im from centurion in Pta did u have your kit made yet

Hi Rihan,

Oh rad another local! sweet.

I have not printed it out yet. Still just getting the last few bolt kits from the UK and now waiting on the spares from Italy. They should be here in the next week or so and then when the bike is broken up i will print and fit the kit hey.

Matt.

apriliaforum newb
    Hay Matt do u have the temple for the kit on file il love to make one or part of it for my bike

Hey guys quick update.

All parts have arrived from Italy and now the new gearbox has been sent in for undercutting. Odd thing is that 3rd,4th,5th and 6th are all undercut from the factory but 1st and 2nd are not undercut at all!!!!!!! So i only need to undercut 1st and 2nd. Also bike has been booked in for early next month for the operation. My bolt kit has arrived so i have the following.

Gold Titanium engine bolt kit
    stainless steel tripple clamp and bottom pinch bolts
    titanium disk bolts
    titanium axle bolts

other than that here are some shots of the new bits going in the bike. I will be replacing all bearings and gaskets on the engine. Rings will be replaced and all half bearings on the crank. Was going to fit new valves but didnt need to so leaving all of that.

Name:	IMG_3662 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	342175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3662 2.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	342175
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3671.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	488.1 KB 
ID:	342176  

What's wrong with your original gearbox?! What is your mileage?

Hi Paul,

The original gearbox stripped 2nd gear, been riding it without second for more than 10 000km. i bought the bike with 9000km on it and stripped it close to 20 odd and now im on 39 000km.

Hey guys,

So today i collected the gearbox with 1st and 2nd undercut. I have taken some images so that you can see the dogs we undercut. I also took a picture of the dogs for 3rd which you can see from the factory are undercut. Also i am going to get the head polished and also look at getting 1mm bigger pistons just for the hell of it. We did also chat about diamond plated titanium valves but that is $$$$$ so not sure if i will go that way as this will still be my daily ride. Would rather spend the money on the weekend horse... anyways trying to keep the pictures and stuff coming so if anyone does this int he future they will see what they have install. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4152.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	489.6 KB 
ID:	342622

This is the dogs we undercut...

Name:	IMG_4150.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	487.5 KB 
ID:	342960

Name:	IMG_4149.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	342961

So just another update, Engine is out and at the Agent for the rebuild. They did remove the heads and all seems good on cams etc. The frame i have with the throttle bodies and wiring lume. Gave everything a right clean. Rims have been cleaned and polished. I will also be fitting the new bolt kit to the rest of the bike (Pro-Bolt Titanium and ALuminium) Will post some pics once they are all in. I did have to wire brush the ABS sensor as those do rust really bad.

Name:	IMG_4767.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	498.1 KB 
ID:	344848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast