Thread: Swap Aprilia sportcity 250 ecu for sc300 ecu?

apriliaforum newb

Swap Aprilia sportcity 250 ecu for sc300 ecu?

Hi there. I recently purchased a sportcity 250. The bike doesn't have a spark. From reading forums I'm pretty sure the problem is the ECU. So, questions:
    How easy is it to replace and ECU?
    Is it just a matter of swapping them or does it have to be programmed?
    Will an ECU from a sportcity 300cc work?

Thank you in advance.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Do you have oem key? Does injector pulse? Is coil getting power 12v positive and pulsed 12 v ground at tick over? More to swapping ecu's than just the ecu, keys are coded to ecu and pins are not same 250 v 300 as one uses heated element o2 sensor and one unheated.

Gonna move to scooter section in a bit where you will get more help.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Do you have oem key? Does injector pulse? Is coil getting power 12v positive and pulsed 12 v ground at tick over? More to swapping ecu's than just the ecu, keys are coded to ecu and pins are not same 250 v 300 as one uses heated element o2 sensor and one unheated.

Gonna move to scooter section in a bit where you will get more help.
    I do have the original key. How can I check if the injector pulses? Also, how do I exactly check the coil for power??

If you could move me to the scooter section that would be great as I wasn't sure where to post this message.
    Thanks for responding

apriliaforum newb
    Also, the bike is also blowing a fuse everytime I put the high beam on. That might help figure the problem??

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    You have a wire short somewhere. Not to be an asshole but go back and carefully examine anything you touched recently and its surrounding areas first, we all make mistakes, most of us learn from them. For about $20 you can get a "noid light set" at any good auto parts store or on Amazon. Plug into injector connection and see if it flashes. Cool is probably two wire on this scooter at key on but no crank one should be 12V positive on low voltage pins and one 12V negative. When pulsed the negative should be the broken to collapse field built in coil and make spark.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert
    You may want to get the service station manual from AF1 Racing and an inexpensive VoltOhm Meter from a place like Harbor Freight where they will usually be around $10. The full trouble shooting procedure for the ignition system is in there with some decent pictures of where to connect the meter for all the tests.

Here is one for $6.99:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...ter-92020.html

Like Micah said it could be a simple short from the fuse blowing scenario you described.

apriliaforum newb
    hi there
    i have the same problem the fuse !! thhan i tried to change the bulb,
    the scooter doseant work anymore with message ECU in painel !!
    how did u fix yours ?
    thanks a lot

apriliaforum expert
    If there is a short in the wiring harness where the single tree pivots you will get all sorts of weird errors. Which fuse is blowing there are more than 1.

Best course is to purchase the Service Station Manual from the forum host and review the wiring diagram along with the trouble shooting and electrical testing section. Getting an inexpensive VoltOhm meter as shown about will help with carrying out the checks listed in the Service Station Manual which us less than $10.

Just search from the Shop Online link at the top of this page for "sport city 250 service station manual". There are two versions of the manual in English with one labeled as the 250 being for the 2006 to 2008 Sport City 250 and the other labeled as the 300 for the 2008 to 2011 Sport City Cube with both currently selling for $8.15.

apriliaforum newb

the mechanic ask me to buy a new ECu . it cost u$650 . what do u think ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    If there is a short in the wiring harness where the single tree pivots you will get all sorts of weird errors. Which fuse is blowing there are more than 1.

Best course is to purchase the Service Station Manual from the forum host and review the wiring diagram along with the trouble shooting and electrical testing section. Getting an inexpensive VoltOhm meter as shown about will help with carrying out the checks listed in the Service Station Manual which us less than $10.

Just search from the Shop Online link at the top of this page for "sport city 250 service station manual". There are two versions of the manual in English with one labeled as the 250 being for the 2006 to 2008 Sport City 250 and the other labeled as the 300 for the 2008 to 2011 Sport City Cube with both currently selling for $8.15.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by fablins View Post
    How did he come up with the diagnosis? If he did not hook up the Piaggio Navigator or PADs unit or have at the minimum the shop manual and followed the Piaggio trouble shooting process then he could just be hunting and pecking for a solution by swapping parts at your expense. Its really hard to say from afar since I do not know the credentials of the mechanic and shop or history of the bike. Sometimes even a failing battery can cause odd faults to be thrown by the ECU.