Thread: Rear Sprocket/Gearing Questions??

apriliaforum newb

Rear Sprocket/Gearing Questions??

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have figured out what's the biggest rear sprocket you can fit without having to buy a new chain. I do have a 15T sprocket in the front and the bike just is super tall geared. Looking to go to a 44 rear but I think a 42 would be okay...

If anyone can let me know what rear sprocket I can squeeze in the rear that would be great. Again, I have a stock chain..

Thanks in advance !!!

apriliaforum Member
    Hmmm. Mine came with the 15T front and i found it too low for going anywhere. Put the 16T in and I am still grabbing for 7th gear at anything above about 120kph. Mine has the stock 43(?) rear. You must be only driving around town or climbing trees perhaps to want it lower than what you have?? T

apriliaforum newb
    I have a 15t front sprocket and a 40t rear. I'm doing 65 on the highway at 3500 RPMS in 5th gear. I think that's incredibly low. Never mind 6th gear I never even use it. Second gear should come up on a power wheelie with no issues, the bike seems way to tall. I would like to use 6th gear I'm going to compromise on a 15t front and a 43 rear I think. This bike should be ripping, with this gearing it feels sluggish to me.

apriliaforum Member
    I think 16/43 is stock? I'll have to go out and count my rear teeth. The bike had 15T front when I got it which felt good and made for easy starts, but was too low for traveling anywhere. The 16T front seemed like a good compromise and provides snappy enough starts and a reasonable cruising rpm. 4000 rpm = about 104 kph ( or @ 60mph). Are you running in Sport mode? Tom

apriliaforum newb
    Stock should be 16/40 I believe. In any case, 3,5K in 5th sounds oddly low to me for that speed. I can more than comfortably cruise in 6th @65 mph.

apriliaforum newb
    Stock gearing on a DD 12 is 16 40... As of right now I have 15 40. I ride usually in T mode sometimes ill do S... Yes the throttle response is a lot better in Sport but it still feels slow on bottom. I'm literally never using 6th gear. It serves no function. at 65mph in 5th gear I'm at 3700 RPMS I think that's seriously low and when I get on the throttle the bike is fighting itself to get up to speed. I just ordered a 43T rear sprocket from AF1 Racing last night. I'm sure this will solve my issue. I would like to be able to power wheelie in 2nd and a little clutch work in 3rd for a wheelie. I cant stand riding this bike with the gearing its at. Maybe its just me lol, I really would like to use 6th and have some oomph to it.

From what I understand with the 15t front sprocket and the 43T rear I should be the same gearing as a Stock DD750 since they have a 16 46 stock gearing. I think the 1200 DD should have came from the factory with similar gearing. Ill report back and let you know how it goes. I would imagine the bike will be a handful. That's what I'm looking for a back road monster. I rarely use the high way

apriliaforum Member

Rear Sprocket/Gearing Questions??

Curious to hear your results. Dropped mine to 15 in the front, wonder what more in the rear will do.

apriliaforum newb
    Will this require a longer chain? I believe the stock is 108 links but I've been thinking on going -1/+2 myself. Anyone got any experience?

apriliaforum newb
    I read on a old thread that a guy threw on a 43T rear sprocket no problems even with the stock 16t. Guys with the 15 should have a little more slack

apriliaforum Member
    I checked and you are correct, the stock gearing is 16/40. As I said previously my bike came with 15/40 installed by the previous owner. This gave it easy and snappy starts, but was way too low for traveling anywhere. I use my DD1200 as an all-arounder so the 16/40 combo is about perfect for me. We rode to Mount Baker WA for the opening of the upper parking lot yesterday. Too much fun. The roads were clear and dry and it was warm but there was still over 20' of snow on the sides. I got some photo's and will try to post these. My bike with the 16/40 gearing does 108 kph (67.5) at 4000 rpm in 6th. It pulls along very nicely at 80 kph (@50 mph) at 3000 rpm in 6th. Right down to about 2500 rpm in any gear in zooms along quite happily. I am thinking if your DD can only use 6th gear at hwy speeds then there is likely something wrong with your AFR. Do have the later ECU program? A fatduc? The DD750 needs lower gearing because it does not make the same low end torque that a 1200 does. At normal zooming along a mountain pass speeds, my bike pulls like a freight train in 6th just by rolling on a little throttle. It feels like most bikes do in 3rd. While the lower gearing may still suit your particular riding, I would make sure that the bike is injecting correctly first. Tom

apriliaforum newb
    No issues with my bike. Updated fuel mapping. Other then that all stock and runs perfectly, just looking for a little more oomph. This bike with a 15 43 combo is going to be a monster I'm not looking to scoot around. I want this bike to fly

apriliaforum Member
    Dorsomax, this gearing issue is an interesting one. I am thinking that in some very specific use instances such as drag racing or perhaps track racing, the gearing would be best set so that the bike is approaching redline in 6th at the end or longest straight away. On the street though, once the bike is rolling it does not really matter much whether it is gear higher or lower as the rider of each machine would just be in a different gear at the same time and at the same performance requirements. As an example, the rider with 15/43 gearing might be able to power wheely in 3rd, but the rider with 16/40 might be doing the same in second at a very similar speed. The only advantage in real world reality, to lower gearing would be for the start. I do have to admit that my bike was a bit easier and seemed a bit snappier off the line with the 15/40 gearing, but I was always grabbing for 7th gear on the top end because it was obvious that the engine could pull a higher gear there but there was none to be had. If you do nothing but bomb around town on your DD then perhaps some lower gearing would be good, but realize that you are compromising top speed, ease of cruising, engine life and fuel mileage to do this, and once rolling your bike will be no faster than the same one with taller gearing. You will just be in a different gear number than the tall geared one but the real gear multiplication number will likely be very similar. Perhaps on a high strung 600 sport bike that has little torque and needs revs to work at all, lower gearing could work well. But in the case of the DD1200, the engine pulls very well from 4000 to 9000 and you may find that short gearing just means too much shifting. So in my mind the decision should come down to: do I find 1st gear too tall for easy starts? then go with 15/40 or 15/42(43). If you find you are running out of gear at the top end and you wish the bike had a 7th, then stick with the 16/40. Cheers Tom

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DorsoMax View Post
    I have a 15t front sprocket and a 40t rear. I'm doing 65 on the highway at 3500 RPMS in 5th gear. I think that's incredibly low. Never mind 6th gear I never even use it. Second gear should come up on a power wheelie with no issues, the bike seems way to tall. I would like to use 6th gear I'm going to compromise on a 15t front and a 43 rear I think. This bike should be ripping, with this gearing it feels sluggish to me.
    Further to this, I have 16/40 gears and the bike does exactly 108 kph (67.5 mph) at 4000 in sixth. If you are really getting 65 mph at 3500 rpm in 5th!! then either you have an oversized (tall) rear tire, your speedo is inaccurate or your tach is inaccurate. something definitely not sounding right with those numbers.
    Tom
    F

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DorsoMax View Post
    No issues with my bike. Updated fuel mapping. Other then that all stock and runs perfectly, just looking for a little more oomph. This bike with a 15 43 combo is going to be a monster I'm not looking to scoot around. I want this bike to fly
    You may want to still consider a Fatduc or similar. Even with the latest program the DD1200 still runs quite lean below 5000 rpm and this can make it feel soft there. I have pipes, a DNA filter and a fatduc and the engine seems to respond very well at anything above about 2500 rpm, and pulls instantly and hard at anything above 4000 even in 6th.