Thread: ABS and ATC (traction control) failure/disabled

apriliaforum prov-nov

ABS and ATC (traction control) failure/disabled

Hello Gents

Yesterday I encountered that kind of problem: my ABS and ATC had switched off by themselves... I have no idea why. When i got to the settings i was able to enter to both menus of ABS, and ATC, but i couldn't turn them on. Tested on the road, that both were relly switched off. After turning off ignition, and switching it again on, selftest shows no errors, but ABS and ATC are off, controls of them are lighted constantly during the ride. In normal conditions i have displayed on dashboard present stage/setting of ATC (digit from 1 up to 3), after this failure there is only minus symbol (-). This morning i switched ignition key and found that i'm able to manipulate with ABS and ATC settings, and everything was displayed correctly, but after two or three minutes in state of digit, minus has been displayed next to ATC (same as yesterday). I turned ignition off, then on, and for few minutes everything was ok, and again both switched off. I started the engine, made few short runs up to 30 km/h. Information lights for ABS and ATC were continuosly lighted. After that short ride i turned off everything, checked and cleaned all fuses. When i turned ignition key on, ABS and ATC were switched off from the beginning. I went for diagnosis, but there were no errors. Have no idea what's causing this malfunction. Right now i'm away from home, and any Aprilia service, so i really count on Your knowledge and help.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I bought cables and connected motorcycle to a laptop. Guzzidiag throwed error P0502, so now i'm looking to solve my problem with bit more data, then i had before. I'll update this thread as soon as i repair it...

apriliaforum prov-nov Mattix415's Avatar
    Hey Arek,
    I had the same problem on my DD. First check the cable for the rear wheel sensor along the swing arm, sometimes that comes loose and rubs agains the rear tyre and it eats through the cable so that would be the first place to check as i found my wires were exposed. second thing i found on my bike was there front wheel sensor plug which should be on your ECU side of the engine under the tank had build up so i cleaned that. Last thing to check will be the plates by the sensors themselves as mine where very weathered and gave them a light sanding, keeping in mind that those sensors can only read from 0.5 to 2.8mm if my memory serves me correctly. Once i did all of these i then recalibrated the system by riding between 20 and 24km i think and then everything has been good ever since. Hope this helps, just explaining what i did which got mine working again. Hope some of this helps.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Mattix415 thnx a lot for Your advices.
    Before i pluged laptop to DD i checked both sensors, and cleaned them. Spaces from the plates are correct.
    This is what i found after going along the wires...

After cleaning, and drying it, i reconnected all together and found that ABS is working perfect now. I checked via Guzzidiag errors and fournd P0501, and P0502 both with description too high. Cleared errors, and made short run inside garage. ABS works ok, but TC is still off. I have to wait until wheather improoves to do a calibration run. Right now it's better to use boat than motorcycle in my neighbourhood...

Update:
    I made short run to calibrate TC, but still it's not working. Instead of digit i have (-) "minus" next to traction control level. I assume that calibrating wasn't successful, because i was riding for a few minutes with speed of 30 km/h and word calibrating was on dash. ABS works fine both fornt and rear. Can i check TC via Guzzidiag? Maybe You have any other helpfull idea to solve that problem...
    Last edited by Arek1; 07-02-2017 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Update

apriliaforum prov-nov

ABS and ATC (traction control) failure/disabled - SOLVED!!!

Last update...

Yesterday i was trying to fix that missing ATC. I made the calibration run, and... nothing. Checked for errors via Guzzidiag, and nothing... I found on forum that some riders had to press "mode" switch for longer time to activate ATC. Not for me... Then i started the engine, once again checked for errors on run and found nothing, but jus after i stopped the engine i went through options to switch on ATC, and it worked for me. I manage to switch it on. I'm not sure if doing this just after stopping the engine was the right way, and if it's only factor that has to be done. Most important for me is fact that after running one tank of petrol everything works fine.
    Last edited by Arek1; 07-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov Mattix415's Avatar
    Hey Arek,

Ok cool well glad you got it solved!!! Always a mission with these electronic things hey. Im not sure if there is a specific way that you do it with engine running or engine off but if you have solved then issue then well done! once the rain clears then its time to hit the tar again! Im rebuilding my engine shortly and hope that i dont have any issues with the electronics once everything is plugged back in so holding thumbs!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    As i look at this ABS plug-in i think that they should make better sealing. It's low, and rubber cover around that plug don't guarantee waterproofness. I wish You good luck with Your rebuild, i'll hold my thumbs up for You.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy-downsized.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	336844