Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowes on the outer for 2018, Bautista or Crutchlow to replace him?!

The rumour mill is saying that Redding and Rabat were sniffing around WSBK at Laguna

Lowes has been pretty mud, but Redding? He's ok, nothing special and might as well persist with Lowes
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

apriliaforum expert Aprilia_RSV_Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ape66 View Post
    The rumour mill is saying that Redding and Rabat were sniffing around WSBK at Laguna
    I read something similar about them, I believe it was at the end of an article mostly about another rider. I'm pretty sure it was from my Google stories to read feed, in which case it would have been a more reputable source. They made sound more like it's probably going to happen than just sniffing around.

I'll have to try and find it again.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    That was a smart move by Petrucci IMO. The Ducati seems to be improving and his results have been very good (slightly better than Lorenzo's). He clearly gels well with the bike. Who knows, Jorge may say no mas and run back to Yamaha in 2019, If he keeps his results he has set himself up well for the second factory bike.

Meanwhile Aprilia will likely continue to struggle if they stay in the series at all.
    Not sure if Yamaha wants JLO back if Maverick finishes week and Rossi renews his contract.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by azscram View Post
    Not sure if Yamaha wants JLO back if Maverick finishes week and Rossi renews his contract.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I could see Folger getting the boot (or perhaps a lucrative contract to do WSBK for a year on the R1 to keep him) and Lorenzo going to Tech3 in that scenario.

But also keep in mind that IIRC all twelve factory rides come open at the end of 2018. While the KTM and Aprilia will not exactly be high on the list for the aliens, there will invariably be jockying for position among the top four teams and eight bikes.

IMO if Rossi races past 2018 it will be year by year, so he will probably only get a one year contract for 2019. That might make riders wanting to be in line for a Factory Yamaha M1 willing to take a lesser bike and being a good Yamaha supporter in Rossi's last year.

How many races is he short of Ago's record? I think it is seven. So eight to beat it. Eight more wins may be a tall order given this field but you never know. On his day he is still in the top three riders.

Quote Originally Posted by sburns2421 View Post
    I could see Folger getting the boot (or perhaps a lucrative contract to do WSBK for a year on the R1 to keep him) and Lorenzo going to Tech3 in that scenario.

But also keep in mind that IIRC all twelve factory rides come open at the end of 2018. While the KTM and Aprilia will not exactly be high on the list for the aliens, there will invariably be jockying for position among the top four teams and eight bikes.

IMO if Rossi races past 2018 it will be year by year, so he will probably only get a one year contract for 2019. That might make riders wanting to be in line for a Factory Yamaha M1 willing to take a lesser bike and being a good Yamaha supporter in Rossi's last year.

How many races is he short of Ago's record? I think it is seven. So eight to beat it. Eight more wins may be a tall order given this field but you never know. On his day he is still in the top three riders.
    Lorenzo at Tech 3?! You must be mad mate. I don't think he'd ever not go for a factory ride
    Current bikes - 2012 Tuono V4

Blog/Website - www.onthebackwheel.com

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by spank36 View Post
    Lorenzo at Tech 3?! You must be mad mate. I don't think he'd ever not go for a factory ride
    It depends if he believed the Yamaha was the only bike he could ride and win on, and if Yamaha promised it was a factory bike under the black paint.

It is interesting how resistant the manufacturers are to adding more of their bikes to the grid. You would think that a company the size of Yamaha would be able to add a third factory bike (which would be a private-label bike for Rossi with Lorenzo and Vinales on the "real" factory team), but they all seem unwilling to add more bikes. My assumption was a fifth M1 was not possible, so culling one Tech3 customer bike and putting a factory M1 in that team with 99 would be the next logical option.

Next year will be telling for Lorenzo if he struggles like he has done this year, especially if Dovizioso and Pretrucci regularly are on the podium. He will not continue at Ducati and his stock will have gone down dramatically. In my hypothetical scenario where he is on the Tech3 for 2019 and Rossi is on his farewell tour that year, I would guess the understanding would be that the factory M1 team spot would be Jorge's come 2020.

But who knows, he may shock us and start winning on the Ducati and finish his career there, or do well enough in 2018 to keep his "alien" status and take Pedrosa's spot next to MM93 at Repsol Honda.

Silly season next year is going to be good.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Funny how riders sign 2 year contracts with the first year designated as a 'learning year' with the 2nd the one that counts......that's what both Lorenzo & Lowes were deemed to be on, yet here we are just half way thro' their first season, that's just 25% of their contracted period, and they are both being written off.

Sure Lorenzo is being paid a huge amount of money and comes with a very successful history so the expectation is incredibly high.......but he has also spent his entire Motogp career on Yamahas, has developed a riding style that suited that bike and the Ducati is notoriously difficult/unique......what happened to the time available to adapt? Petrucci may be faster on the same bike now but how long has he been on the Ducati?

And Lowes will be racing for peanuts with a stated 'no pressure in your first year' agreement with the team.....what the fuck happened to that? Despite the crashes, lack of upgrades, bike unreliability etc he is still improving race weekend on race weekend and in terms of lap times he is getting closer to the front.......punters tend to be fixated on position but racers/teams are focused on lap times and in that area he is on the up and has been from the start.

Its interesting that the Aprilia factory ride being touted around is being avoided by all those that have been offered it so far..........its choice of last resort if there's nowhere else to go it seems.

Not so sure it's Lowes's speed that's gonna get him the exit but rather the amount of bikes he's donated to the landfill. Never seen someone dump that much and we're in the Bautista/crutchlow era. His brother has gotten better on the SBK machine to an extent but he has not. That Moto2 team he rode for replaced alot of his bikes as well so this isn't a new phenomenon from him.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    Funny how riders sign 2 year contracts with the first year designated as a 'learning year' with the 2nd the one that counts......that's what both Lorenzo & Lowes were deemed to be on, yet here we are just half way thro' their first season, that's just 25% of their contracted period, and they are both being written off.

And Lowes will be racing for peanuts with a stated 'no pressure in your first year' agreement with the team.....what the fuck happened to that?
    Do you really believe at the pinnacle of Grand Prix racing, that's how it works?? You get a learning year on a factory bike?

apriliaforum Junkie
    On a satellite team with a rookie guy, yeah certainly which is why I don't really understand why they want to boot Lowes that quick... especially if the rumors are true for Redding? What would it change...
    a 5 times world champ on the most hyped factory bike out there... it looks really bad.. however no young talent to pick up JLo's seat anyway I don't see him go away end of 2017
    They need to bring in young blood - whatever happened with Miller, I think he's doing not too bad of a job where he is for his age, I see Cannet from moto3 going quite far.

Sure Lorenzo is being paid a huge amount of money and comes with a very successful history so the expectation is incredibly high.......but he has also spent his entire Motogp career on Yamahas, has developed a riding style that suited that bike and the Ducati is notoriously difficult/unique......what happened to the time available to adapt? Petrucci may be faster on the same bike now but how long has he been on the Ducati?
    Must be the world's overpayed student imo...

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Didka View Post
    He's (Lorenzo) probably only getting half what Rossi got at Ducati........Lorenzo needs more podiums, or even 1 win, its hard to see where he will get it tho, the Ducati performs well in the wet with Pet and Dov, but Lorenzo isn't, over the last few years a very competitive wet rider, so very hard to see where Lorenzo can muster a podium from. I hope he can pull a result out of the bag.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Somewhere I heard 13.5 million dollar...

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Didka View Post
    Somewhere I heard 13.5 million dollar...
    Jeeze, not bad eh, i think rossi got around 18mill from memory, but he brought huge merchandise sales with him.
    It used to be "Rock around the clock" now its "limp around the block".................................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a Bran spanking new 1290 GT. Torque monster.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast